Boxee Box Now In Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-13, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Another firmware update for Boxee Box today. It's getting better! At least they are planning on addressing all the major complaints with this product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-27, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Finally !

I picked up the Boxee on Dec. 24th and checked back to their Canadian website everyday since and today (the 27th) they added Canada Netflix ! Goodby Shaw high priced Movie Channels !!
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-27, 01:24 PM
Veteran

Good for you Boxee owners. If only they'd also add Netflix Canada to Roku as well. Difference tough being that Boxee at least is sold in retail here and hence Netflix probably has more motivation to add their app to it.

And "Easy" - no need to cross-post the exact same post to 3 threads.

post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-27, 08:07 PM
Rookie

Boxee

I picked up a boxee for my father for christmas.

I went over to his place to install it for him.

Our first step was the set up the device to the TV which was simple, and then to connect the device to his Wireless N Router (not simple).

We did initially get the device to connect to the network, but after various patches and upgrades it no longer worked.

We had various issues getting the wireless to work including a requirement for a 8 character password for WPA, manually configuring the TCP/IP settings and various wireless encryption settings (WPA-AES, WPA2-TKIP) not working. Browsing on the net found people with similar problems.

Finally we just gave up getting the wireless to work consistently (it will connect and then disconnect for no apparent reason).

Fortunately, what my Dad wanted it for was to watch video stored on a local hard drive, so we moved the (external) hard drive to the boxee itself and that seemed to solve his issues.

I certainly hope that dlink is able to resolve the issues surrounding the failure of the device to connect.

We were quite impressed with the video quality of the output of the boxee, but the inability to connect wirelessly severely limits the usefulness of the product.
post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-27, 08:30 PM

I don't believe Netflix works for anyone yet, in the USA or Canada. I just checked out boxee box main forums and no one there is talking about Netlix working, just that its promised for release before end of year but only to USA.

I would like to know what Canadian website your talking about and to be honest I don't believe anything you said.
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-28, 06:25 PM
Rookie

My son also got me one of these for Christmas and we also are having issues keeping it connected to the Internet. It randomly looses connection and then refuses to reconnect back again. The only way I can get it reconnected is to reuse the wizard. If you just go to Network and pick your router, it won't connect. Like the previous person, we are using WPA2 and Wireless N.

The quality of picture on this device is great but I haven't really figured out what to do with it? It has a lot of video clips but what can you actually watch on it? My son gave me a 3TB drive with the Boxee and it is full of great shows but I'm not sure what I will do with this box after I have watched everything...
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-28, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If only they'd also add Netflix Canada to Roku as well.
Still holding your breath, it would appear Roku is heading off the radar.

Bill
My blog
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 03:22 PM

So no Netflix till the end of January. But on the bright side another big fix coming out some time next week. More here in the Boxee Blog
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 01:31 PM

New VUDU App & TV content?

I've been using the Boxee player on my PC in conjunction with a VPN.

So far I really love it. The new Vudu app really looks amazing. New releases for 3.99 & some 99 cent content as well.

Compared to my WDTV, the automatic organizing and art/info access really has me considering buying one of these. My wife would love to be able to find TV as easily as it is on the boxee.

I'm wondering though how different the content is between the software Boxee and the Boxee Box? Are there a lot content providers missing on the Box? We watch about 20 primetime shows regularly and on the software Boxee I can generally find about 16-18 of them (newest episodes).
Again I do have a VPN. I understand you can enter VPN details on the box (Is it stable?)

Thanks in advance
post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-01, 08:15 PM

Another delay for Netflix with no time line set. I wonder if this new delay has to do with Boxee being an Open Source OS even though every other system its on is now hacked.

Quote:
We’re in a bit of an awkward spot at the moment.

The Netflix app is up and running on Boxee (we watched the intro to Full Metal Jacket earlier today), but we have not yet satisfied Netflix’s security requirements. We anticipate availability soon. It’s terrible to be so close to releasing and yet still be waiting on one thing to fall into place.

There’s not a day that goes by without dozens of emails, comments, tweets, asking about Netflix. We all want it. We hear you in every medium (even audience cries at the Crunchies) that you tell us you want it and we’re doing everything we know to do to make this happen as quickly as possible
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 07:18 PM

Wooot... Netflix's was released today... Happy Valentine
post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 02:59 PM

I have been scowering the net to see what kind of Canadian content is available on the boxee box. I noticed that programming from CBC, City TV and CTV is available. Does anyone have any personal experience with this and can you access all of the online content that you could if you visited ctv's web player? I'm thinking of getting this because I do have satellite tv but miss my Cogeco on demand where I could watch episodes when I want. Any information/opinions on this?
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-23, 01:19 AM

cptcarter, I finally had more time to play with this other than Netflix. From what I seen the Canadian networks only give us 1 or 2 episodes at any given time of the prime time shows, so yes what you see on the web you can access on Boxee. We did watch the latest episode of Bones Sunday morning and found the picture quality pretty good. Of course you are limited to stereo sound so don't expect much there.
post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Which network did you find bones on?
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 06:09 PM

Boxee Box and MUBI Service

Has anyone successfully subscribed to the MUBI movie service on Boxee. I signed up paired the MUBI account on Boxee.com and everything seemed to work except that any movie I choose starts to load and then gives a MUBI error message. My MUBI account is in order since I can watch the movie on pc. Seems to be a MUBI app/Boxee error.

Tags
boxee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in