Boxee Box Now In Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 01:08 AM

Talking Boxee Additions

Im working on a couple of things at the moment, and also trying out another service called 'DropBox'

Whats interesting with this one is, I just started to expierment with using DropBox to sync media between devices.

Im going to drop in a referal Link to get you folks up and going..

http://www.dropbox.com/

If all works as I hope it will.. it should be interesting.. obviously combining both applications is somewhat expiermental. However does create a unique platform for delievery.

I will put a copy of Boxee in the folder for users to Download and install..

as well as a couple of media clips.

what should happen is that the users that install the DropBox will have a addional folder... that folder can then be added to the media library of Boxee.

all the users will automatic Sync, and you should all be able to access the video clip.

I do not believe that anything like this before has been attempted.

However I just Tested this tonight from across the city.

It does work... and its also Very fast as well..

im getting speeds of about 700k /sec to sync on typical DSL

To add the DropBox Share to Boxee:

Simply use the files menu under boxee to browse to the location where boxee stores the files...

its like C: / users / (UserName) / My Documents / My Dropbox

and create a shortcut...

exit out and go back to the main menu...

you will then see a folder there next to the other applications for Boxee..

Now what ever goes into your DropBox can be Viewed on Boxee.

Last edited by Jake; 2010-11-10 at 03:57 PM. Reason: removed referral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 02:58 PM
Member #1

D-Link has announced it will be in Canada by November 17th at your favourite Big Box retailer

post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-10, 03:39 PM

Anyone pick up the boxee box yet? Read that some stores have it onthe shelves...before the pre-orders receive theirs.

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 07:33 AM
Veteran

I picked one up yesterday from BB. Will be setting up today.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 01:59 PM

Would love to hear a review when you get it up and running. I have it on the Apple tv but not sure when they will or if they will update it through the hack community for 1.0 on it.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 05:11 PM
Veteran

Well I got it up and running and after a couple of updates it looks pretty good and works well so far. I'm only going to using this for streaming content off my PC so I don't really care about any of the apps like Netflix, which I haven't noticed on the box yet. I think it's found all my stuff and categorized everything correctly.

I can only compare it to other devices I've used for streaming; PS3 with PS3 Media Server & TVersity and the original XBOX running XBMC. So far I like the Boxee more in just about every aspect. Nice video wall, full MKV support, fast forwarding and rewinding works well, subtitles and other audio channels can be controlled with the remote, etc...

Navigating through the menu is a little laggy but I'm used to PS3's snappy navigation. Haven't found anything it can't play yet, although one "HD" DviX file didn't seem to play so smoothly. I'll have to keep going through more stuff.

I'll update if anything new comes up.
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 09:18 AM
apn

I've been watching this with anticipation. I could use a third media player, but would also consider replacing one or both of my WDTV-Live units if something came along with a jazzy user interface (I'd like to preview/select from ~400 movies via cover art and perhaps a text synopsis rather than by filename).

Anyhow, it saddens me to skim the currently 46-pages and counting 'BB Owners' thread on avsforum, in which many users are complaining that (like everything else before it), the potential is there, but the current implementation is another fly ball.

Many users are complaining about inability to play MKV's, other large files and a host of other issues. Plus, there's the standard limitation from a Cdn owner:

- Online content and apps. There are a million choices, and 999,999 of them don't work in Canada

Even PC Magazine's review was less than glowing: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372616,00.asp

Pros

Robust file support. Well-designed user interface. Quality search tool scans attached hard drives, Internet for content you seek. Streams content wirelessly from PCs on same network. Solid digital connectivity, along with analog outputs for audio.

Cons

Many key features—Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu—aren't fully available at launch. Remote is awkwardly designed. Set-up requires multiple firmware updates, installations, reboots.

Bottom Line

Less expensive than the Logitech Revue with Google TV and pricier than Apple TV, the Boxee Box by D-Link focuses on rounding up Web content on your HDTV, but suffers from a lack of partner content at launch.

I was so hoping that they'd learn from the crash and burn launches of the competition. I might have been willing to take a leap of faith at half the price, but alas, perhaps my Live with it's new firmware (last night) remains as the more stable and better choice for the time being. Oh well, I suppose they'll shake the bugs out in the end...
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 10:55 AM

I bought my boxee box on launch day and for the most part have been happy with it. I too have been reading all the comments from the boxee forum and decided to try and roll back my firmware to the original beta firmware since many people were claiming it was better than the update the rolled out on release day. Wow, what a difference!! I don't know what boxee was thinking removing a bunch of great features for the official launch. Things like continuous folder scanning for new content, the ability to sort your media by oldest items first ( a must for TV shows IMO), the ability to mark items as watched, plus a faster, more responsive UI.

If they had stuck with a modest update of the beta firmware instead of completely retooling it for launch, i think they would have many more happy customers. I think they may have really hurt their reputation with this launch, with many initial purchasers returning their boxes out of frustration. Anecdotally, my connection at Futureshop says they have seen several boxes returned already, and this is at a smaller store in a small center.

Boxee's developers have promised to fix many of the things people are complaining about, and have been very open about the current issues, so hopefully they can execute quickly.
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 09:25 AM
Veteran

That BB thread on AVS is horrible to read...a big jumbled mess of information. A better place to research the product and it's problems (and fixes) is BB's own user forum.

I agree there is still a lot of work to be done on the BB, but I knew that when I bought it so no surprise here. I still like it better than PS3 via PMS. All my MKVs work, even the huge ones. Still having a problem with XVIDs that are "720p", as is everyone else.

A firmware upgrade is supposed to be coming up in the next week and they've promised to go back to a more of the original firmware look and functionality.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 11:21 AM

i was watchign a comedy central show with boxee software the other night.(conan YAY) but after one of the comercial breaks i lost video(audio was still there) i couldnt figure out how to rewind or get the video back. anyoen else have this happen?
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Boxee Box in Canada has content that is sometimes difficult to view in Full Screen without a mouse and people who say Netflix.ca is coming soon are overly optimistic. The BBox was/is a great disappointment for me. I wanted a user friendly device with options so my family could use it, but sadly not. I'm the only one who can navigate its menu and some of its issues. It's a geek toy right now which freezes frequently. Even the replacement box I got freezes. Also, I even reverted back to factory settings with the old esthetically pleasing UI but lots more issues there as well.

I know some people say..."The developers are selling it a little above cost and they're not making much money" ... Well yes, when they offer the software for free for your PC, then they are to be admired for their hard work, but as soon as they started offering the Box at $199.00 then they're obligated deliver a product with no bugs or at least fix them pronto. It's not a lot of money, but this device is dedicated for boxee use. There's no other uses for it. In short, I will not take mine back, but I will not endorse it either and many people are eagerly inquiring about it. I have to give negative reviews at this point. Maybe in the future it will be better or maybe this Boxee Box will fail and will be a tax write-off for D-Link?
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-09, 08:31 AM

Well, after giving boxee box a good while to get things together, I'm returning mine and replacing it with a second WDTV Live that I picked up during Dell's days of deals. I just got really tired of the random freezes and the excessive buffering on 720p mkv's (especially TV shows). The fact that the box isn't compatible with my harmony 880 didn't help either (yes, I know I could buy a cheap ir adapter, but I shouldn't have to). Maybe I will revisit it after things are a little further along in the development but for now my $85 WDTV Live is rock solid and less than half the price.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 10:41 AM
apn

Sorry to hear that. I figure there's going to be a lot of Boxee's in Christmas stockings, but alas, D-Link appears to have bombed the launch, choosing not to learn from the other vendors' rush to market.

WDTV-Live isn't perfect after its own rocky launch, but it's holding its own in the face of robust competition, despite many users deciding to rollback the latest FW upgrade. These companies clearly don't understand software engineering.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 11:16 PM

Of course not. They are, first and formost, hardware companies. They do only as much software as it will sell hardware. Once hardware is in customer's hands there is no benefit in providing new features in software. Instead of v2.0 of software you sell v2.0 of hardware and go out of your way to make it incomaptible with previous versions.

In off chance that you can install version of software that comes with newer hardware version on older device you quicky regret that (case in point Apple's iPod Touch).
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 08:18 AM
apn

^ I hear you but w/ commodity HW (and most of these STBs are using the same chipsets), they're missing an opportunity to differentiate and perhaps increase their margins w/ good software.

There is no HW-only these days, it's all about integrated solutions; Nortel used to think itself a HW company

You know, other than a knack for design and HW integration, Apple has become very successful on the strength of its software, and yes, it's clearly about shipping the newest shiny HW gizmo each quarter, but they know the importance of software. Other companies should watch and learn!

Tags
boxee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in