Mythtv - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-16, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
In an ideal world, our MythTV box would have a fanless 9600GT card --> twice the number of shaders as the 9500GT, and faster clock rates too.
Well, it now has a fanless GT240 card, with triple the number of shaders as the 9500GT. Noticeable difference, too.

Back to MythTV-0.22.

I *really* want to upgrade, to stay current and get the latest fixes and the like. Especially now that mythtv-0.21-fixes is no longer being maintained.

So I've built mythtv-0.22-fixes from svn, and have added a few of my patches to it to get things working here.

The tuners, database, antenna switches, VFD display program, remote control, etc.. are all now working with 0.22 (yay!), and stability seems good enough.

But I still cannot stand (any of) the 0.22 themes, and nor the destroyed functionality that was once on the left/right arrow keys. This is just too b0rked for words.

Compared with other stuff in this space, it's probably normal; par for the course. But compared with mythtv-0.21, this really bites.

Specifically, I need to fix these things before the GUI is useable here:
  • The theme menus show only 3-4 items on the screen, as if I'm using a 1960's 12" B&W TV or something. I'm not! A modern big-screen LCD can show a lot more detail than that, and it does do so with mythtv-0.21 and the G.A.N.T. theme. I simply cannot tolerate having to scroll when the total menu has only 5-6 items on it.
  • The Program Guide suffers from a similar stupidity. All of the themes put 3 channels x 4-5 timeslots on the screen. My mythtv-0.21 install shows 13 channels x 7 timeslots, and even that feels like an unnecessary limitation.
  • The left/right arrow keys work in mythfrontend to enter/exit menu levels, and then suddenly stop working like that when one enters MythUI, where they have no function at all on most screens. Absolute rubbish, and the singlemost common complaint on 0.22. And met by the usual arrogant deaf ears.
  • The scheduling algorithm is messed up. On 0.21, I have specific "Vancouver 2010" programming selected on various nights. On 0.22, MythTV chose to "record a later broadcast", causing us to nearly miss out on the hockey games. I'm still not sure why, but we reverted back to 0.21 as soon as that was noticed.
That's my shortlist. And it's pretty short, but those are fairly MAJOR items which kinda blow the WAF sky high.

I'll work on fixing them, and post patches etc.. as they get ticked off my list. Sometime in the next year.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-17, 12:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Well, I managed to get a bare bones HTPC going in time for the Olympics. It is pretty featureless at the moment, but it at least allows us to pause live TV when the baby is crying.

Quote:
Well, it now has a fanless GT240 card, with triple the number of shaders as the 9500GT. Noticeable difference, too.
Wow! Must be nice. I gave up (for now) on fixing the stuttering problem I was having when watching HD broadcasts and am only using the analog tuner in my HVR-1600, which for the Olympics isn't a problem since CTV is only analog here in Ottawa.

Quote:
The tuners, database, antenna switches, VFD display program, remote control, etc.. are all now working with 0.22 (yay!)
Are you using your HVR-1600's remote control interface? I have been having troubles getting mine to work. It doesn't even seem to see the device.

Quote:
But I still cannot stand (any of) the 0.22 themes,
Have you tried to create your own theme?

Quote:
  • The left/right arrow keys work in mythfrontend to enter/exit menu levels, and then suddenly stop working like that when one enters MythUI, where they have no function at all on most screens. Absolute rubbish, and the singlemost common complaint on 0.22. And met by the usual arrogant deaf ears.
I guess since I never used 0.21 I don't know what I am missing. Is this something that you might be able to fix by creating your own theme, or is it buried in the code?

Quote:
  • The scheduling algorithm is messed up. On 0.21, I have specific "Vancouver 2010" programming selected on various nights. On 0.22, MythTV chose to "record a later broadcast", causing us to nearly miss out on the hockey games. I'm still not sure why, but we reverted back to 0.21 as soon as that was noticed.
That doesn't sound good at all. I assume you told it to "record in this timeslot." This doesn't affect me for now though, since I haven't had a chance to drag a network drop into my living room so I can't use guide data and have to do manual records instead. I hope to get that fixed soon though.

I did notice its conflict resolution in the case of a tie is intermittent as to which program it will record. It would be nice if it would display a warning on the main menu or something when there is an unresolved conflict.
post #78 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-17, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
A few other things I thought of. Once again, I can't compare to 0.21, but some things I did notice with 0.22:
  • The manual record feature only lets you record up to 360 minutes. This might be a file size limitation however.
  • Also with manual record, I would like to be able to specify the end time instead of duration (or at least show me the end time while setting the duration).
  • Once a manual recording is set, it won't let you change (or override on a specific day) the channel, start time or duration (or at least I haven't figured out how to do so).
  • The right and left arrows are used to change values, but when it reaches the maximum/minimum value, the key suddenly changes function to go to the next/previous field. This is a pain when holding the key down to quickly get to the maximum value as if you aren't careful you will start destrying all the other values you have set.
  • It probably wouldn't be used very often, but it would be nice if the OSD would show recording time of day. That way if you want to jump to what was recorded at specific time of day, you can do so without having to remember what time you started to record the program (if I started to record at 1:00pm and I am 1:35 into the program and I want to watch an event that starts at 5:00pm, I need to jump ahead 2:25). This is probably just a matter of adding a code to the OSD XML file.

Despite these limitations, I certainly love Mythtv and am looking forward to getting it to work closer to its potential! One thing I do like about Open Source is if I get a chance, I can fix these issues myself instead of having to rely on someone else to fix them for me.

post #79 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-17, 06:30 PM
Veteran

Yeah, the things that are broken the worst (arrow keys) are buried deep in the code. I'll fix them myself, though, eventually. No point in whining over them if I don't intend to do something about it all.

If you want to get your HVR-1600 remote control to work perfectly, then just bring your box + remote (nothing else) over here for an hour. I know all about what needs to be done, and even have a mostly automated setup script to fix it.

I use a PVR-250 remote control on the box here, with pretty much the exact same setup.

Good to hear that manual-record works -- it has *never* worked for me.

Cheers
post #80 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 11:58 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the offer to help. I may take you up on your offer after the Olympics are over (things are busy and the Myth box is in almost constant use).

I tired to apply your "fix hauppauge remote" patch last fall, but I couldn't get it to work. I then tried to build the latest cx18 driver and totally killed it and ended up re-installing Mythtv from scratch.

Getting the remote to work is probably the biggest thing from a WAF perspective.
post #81 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 06:03 PM
Veteran

I am thinking of installing MythTV to have a look. I have recently installed Linux Mint 8 on a PC - is there any reason why I could not install MythTV on this system? (Mint is based on Ubuntu - in this case Mint 8 is, I believe, based on Ubuntu 9.10)
post #82 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Roger: is your MytvTV box based on Mythbuntu-9.10?

I ask, because I've now got a development system here with that release, so I suppose I could use that update the fix_hauppauge scripts to work better with 9.10.

But only if it's useful to someone. I don't need the scripts here.

-ml
post #83 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I am thinking of installing MythTV to have a look. I have recently installed Linux Mint 8 on a PC ...
You could try it. Just keep in mind the following points:
  • MythTV really, really wants a dedicated PC.
  • MythTV makes Linux look bad. Linux is great, but MythTV is horrid to install, configure, and tweak.
  • An hour or less will get most people up and running. It then takes another year or so of tweaking to achieve a reasonable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Cheers
post #84 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-22, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
  • An hour or less will get most people up and running. It then takes another year or so of tweaking to achieve a reasonable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).
This would not be my main PVR - it would be tertiary as my main system is SageTV on WHS (with 4 extenders) and I have an HTPC running Win7 MC - which I don't really use unless my Sage system is down for maintenance. And then I have an SA8300HD which I rarely uses for PVR purposes.

I have a spare PVR-150 tuner and a spare OTA tuner that I have lying around so I thought it might make sense to put these into my Linux PC and install Myth.

I have been an occaisonal user of Linux/Unix/Solaris for over a decade but have never really got into it too much, at least not at home. I am giving it a try with this PC at home and I am also dual booting a Netbook with XP and Mint.
post #85 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-23, 10:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Roger: is your MytvTV box based on Mythbuntu-9.10?
Yes it is.

Quote:
I ask, because I've now got a development system here with that release, so I suppose I could use that update the fix_hauppauge scripts to work better with 9.10.

But only if it's useful to someone. I don't need the scripts here.
If you have the time, that would be great! It is getting very frustrating not having a remote. I keep finding myself looking at my JP1 remote and imagining what buttons would be assigned to what features. Otherwise we can wait until I get a chance to drop by with my Myth box.
post #86 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 12:07 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Fresh 0.22 install better than sequentially updated 0.19 -> 0.22

My mythconverg database that I've been using since MythTV 0.19 (which the subsequent 0.20 and 0.21 updates have always upgraded to the latest schema) became corrupted yesterday on the mythbackend machine.

When I restored from a clean nightly mythconverg backup it barfed during the first run of mythfilldatabase, complaining of all sorts of table errors. It was beyond repair using methods recommended by MythTV, and I also used MySQL and phpmyadmin repair tools to no avail. I even went so far as to drop the mythconverg database, create a new one using mc.sql, and then restore from a clean backup, but no luck.

Oh well, stuff happens, but I've swapped so many tuners in and out of that box over the past few years that the latest changes might have pushed the db over the edge. I don't feel like doing a regression analysis to find the exact culprit, but I could probably have restored the existing system if I really tried. Thankfully there wasn't anything priceless on the mythbackend machine. BTW I've always moved or burned the priceless recorded stuff asap, just in case.

So, the good thing is that this gave me the opportunity while the machine was down to convert the OS from Mandriva 2008.1 32-bit to Mandriva 2010 64-bit with it's much more recent Linux kernel, test all the HDs for errors, and do a fresh MythTV 0.22 install from a clean, new database. I also decided to run the storage partitions on EXT4 instead of my old favourite XFS just to evaluate the disk I/O performance.

Performance is much improved in almost every measurable way, so all in all this was an afternoon well spent.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-02-24 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added some details
post #87 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It is getting very frustrating not having a remote.
Okay, I'm looking at the code right now.

The good news, is that the patches I sent in last year seem to have been adapted into the 2.6.32 kernel, which will be used by the upcoming Mythbuntu-10.04 release.

The bad news, is that it looks difficult to shoehorn those same changes into the 2.6.31 kernel used by Mythbuntu-9.10. I may need you and your box over here to get that debugged and working (my own HVR-1600 card is the version that lacks a remote control port).

EDIT:
Scratch that. It's just not worth doing. The best thing would be to simply upgrade the kernel on your MythTV box to 2.6.32, and then apply a simpler version of my fix_hauppauge script to enable use of the remote. You'll have to visit here for that, I suspect. Unless I can figure out how to build a generic Ubuntu kernel package (unlikely).
/EDIT

Cheers
post #88 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
EDIT:
Scratch that. It's just not worth doing. The best thing would be to simply upgrade the kernel on your MythTV box to 2.6.32, and then apply a simpler version of my fix_hauppauge script to enable use of the remote. You'll have to visit here for that, I suspect. Unless I can figure out how to build a generic Ubuntu kernel package (unlikely).
/EDIT
Thanks for all the effort you have put into this! I don't want to do anything drastic until after the Olympics are over, so I guess I will have to wait. Will talk to you directly to arrange a time to drop by (I would certainly appreciate help upgrading the kernel). Thanks again!
post #89 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-24, 08:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The left/right arrow keys work in mythfrontend to enter/exit menu levels, and then suddenly stop working like that when one enters MythUI
One down.
Code:
--- mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp.orig   2009-11-14 04:31:45.000000000 -0500
+++ mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp        2010-02-24 19:40:19.808047855 -0500
@@ -3484,6 +3484,8 @@

bool PlaybackBox::keyPressEvent(QKeyEvent *event)
 {
+    extern int fix_arrow_keys;  /* Shared with MythScreenType::keyPressEvent */
+
     // This should be an impossible keypress we've simulated
     if ((event->key() == Qt::Key_LaunchMedia) &&
         (event->modifiers() ==
@@ -3518,6 +3520,10 @@
             showIconHelp();
         else if (action == "MENU")
             showMenu();
+        else if (action == "LEFT" || action == "RIGHT") {
+            fix_arrow_keys = 1;
+            handled = false;
+        }
         else if (action == "NEXTFAV")
         {
             if (GetFocusWidget() == m_groupList)
@@ -3595,6 +3601,15 @@
     if (!handled && MythScreenType::keyPressEvent(event))
         handled = true;

+    if (fix_arrow_keys) {
+        fix_arrow_keys = 0;
+        if (handled == false) {
+            /* "LEFT" is handled by MythScreenType::keyPressEvent, so therefore this must be "RIGHT": */
+            showActionsSelected();
+            handled = true;
+        }
+    }
+
     return handled;
 }

--- mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythscreentype.cpp.orig       2009-11-14 04:31:28.000000000 -0500
+++ mythtv/libs/libmythui/mythscreentype.cpp    2010-02-24 19:33:36.068047913 -0500
@@ -87,8 +87,12 @@
     return true;
 }

+int fix_arrow_keys;    /* public,  shared with PlaybackBox::keyPressEvent            */
+static bool wrapped;   /* private, shared with MythScreenType::keyPressEvent (below) */
+
 bool MythScreenType::NextPrevWidgetFocus(bool up)
 {
+    wrapped = false;
     if (!m_CurrentFocusWidget || m_FocusWidgetList.isEmpty())
         return SetFocusWidget(NULL);

@@ -119,6 +123,8 @@
             {
                 if (looped)
                     return false;
+                if (fix_arrow_keys)
+                    wrapped = true;
                 else
                 {
                     looped = true;
@@ -147,6 +153,8 @@
             {
                 if (looped)
                     return false;
+                if (fix_arrow_keys)
+                    wrapped = true;
                 else
                 {
                     looped = true;
@@ -317,6 +325,15 @@
         QString action = actions[i];
         handled = true;

+        if (action == "LEFT") {
+            NextPrevWidgetFocus(false);
+            if (fix_arrow_keys && wrapped)
+                Close();
+        } else if (action == "RIGHT") {
+            NextPrevWidgetFocus(true);
+            if (fix_arrow_keys && wrapped)
+                handled = false;  /* let caller take care of it */
+        } else
         if (action == "LEFT" || action == "UP" || action == "PREVIOUS")
             NextPrevWidgetFocus(false);
         else if (action == "RIGHT" || action == "DOWN" || action == "NEXT")

Three to go.

-ml
post #90 of 398 (permalink) Old 2010-02-25, 01:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
I haven't had a chance to drag a network drop into my living room so I can't use guide data and have to do manual records instead. I hope to get that fixed soon though.
If you have wifi available in the house, then I can loan you a wifi-to-ethernet bridge device, that'll connect things up until you run cat5 someday. It simply plugs into the ethernet port of your MythTV box, and connects to your wifi.

It has a built-in web interface for configuring the wifi parameters / password etc. The MythTV box sees it as a pure ethernet cable connection.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in