Mythtv - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-12, 10:15 PM
Veteran

I hope things go well with that database upgrade. Back when we did the 0.20 to 0.21 upgrade, some of the tables required hand edits to get it all working.

Here, I'm saving the 0.22 upgrade for the winter, when inside is often a better place than outside, and when I expect to not have quite as much contract work as at present.

Besides, Duke (our TV butler Myth box) has been functioning rather flawlessly of late, and is tweaked to the hilt, with exactly the behaviours we like. So the motivation to blow all of that away is rather low at the moment.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 02:43 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile Success!

I upgraded the mythbackend from 0.21 to 0.22 with only one glitch, caused by me.

Tip: a 0.21 mythbackend cannot support a 0.22 mythfrontend, but if you try it make sure that you DO NOT agree to have the mythbackend database schema upgraded. It will ask you to do that, but for heavens sake EXIT before you do anything.

I had tried connecting from a 0.22 mythfrontend to my original 0.21 mythbackend and when it asked me to update the db to the newest version I said yes. This corrupted some columns. Even running a check on the database didn't repair it. What I should have done was leave the existing mythconverg database alone and upgraded everything around it on the mythbackend.

Thankfully I went to my mythconverg dump site to get a clean backup but I had to take these steps first:
  1. make sure mythbackend is not running
  2. complete all mythtv app upgrades on mythbackend and mythfrontends
  3. upgrade mythbackend to latest MySQL version
  4. drop the existing mythconverg database - you heard me, drop it because it got corrupted
  5. create a new database from scratch called mythconverg
  6. import the freshest clean mythconverg backup into it
  7. run a check on mythconverg
  8. run mythv-setup on the mythbackend (it will automatically update mythconverg to the newest schema in a matter of seconds)
  9. restart the mythbackend services
  10. go to the mythfrontend and run it as you used to with 0.21 to verify that all your old recordings and schedules are still there
  11. enjoy the new features
I used Mandriva's MythTV packages rather than source code so the job was sped up quite a bit.

post #48 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
drop the existing mythconverg database - you heard me, drop it because it got corrupted
Scary that, the first time one ever does it.

By now, though, I figure our mythconverg has been dropped more times than my friend the bungie-jump operator with OCBD.

They both always seem to spring back up again afterward without any (new) problems.

Cheers

post #49 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 11:16 AM

Location: Carp, ON. HD8800 and Ch6 Dipole to CM7777 in attic.
Roger,
I ran into a similar problem with an ATI Radeon 8500 on Ubuntu 9.04. I had to disable DRI in the xorg.conf file and that let me do the setup.
You can check out this bug report and see if it applies to you. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tv/+bug/341898
I ended up going with Mythbuntu 8.10, because of that and the mytbuntu-control center not working. You might be better off sticking with 9.10, and testing the mythtv versions to find what works best.
post #50 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 12:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

In #7 I said to run a check on mythconverg before #8, but after some reading it turns out that its not really necessary unless you are worried about the state of the dump you're using.

I just do stuff like that automatically when my old Unix/Oracle sysadmin habits kick in and I instinctively want to have a clean flag set on everything I work with before proceeding!

post #51 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-13, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vejostde View Post
Roger,
I ran into a similar problem with an ATI Radeon 8500 on Ubuntu 9.04. I had to disable DRI in the xorg.conf file and that let me do the setup.
You can check out this bug report and see if it applies to you. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tv/+bug/341898
I ended up going with Mythbuntu 8.10, because of that and the mytbuntu-control center not working. You might be better off sticking with 9.10, and testing the mythtv versions to find what works best.
Reading the bug report it looks very much like what I saw. I think I will stick with 9.10 and try different versions of MythTV on it.
post #52 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-15, 09:56 PM
Veteran

This afternoon I performed a trial upgrade of our main MythTV box to the new MythTV 0.22.

Basically, I installed Mythbuntu onto a fresh SSD, and then installed that in place of the usual boot SSD (older Linux + Mythtv 0.21-fixes) in the system. After it booted up, I restored the old database onto the new SSD, and it upgraded without a hitch.

Lots of other issues to work out before this drive gets installed for real, but it already works much better than I'd expected it to work.

Showstopper things that need fixing (most likely by me, locally):
  • The left-arrow key is totally futzed in several places with mythtv-0.22. I'll have to hack the source code to get it working in a sensisble fashion again, as it used to work fine in mythtv-0.21.
  • mythfrontend mysteriously crashes when pressing (yup) left-arrow during LiveTV playback.
  • None of the themes are palatable. The default Mythbuntu theme thinks I have a 12" screen rather than a 37" widescreen, and all of the other themes are very hard on the eyes, apparently designed by/for adolescents.
  • Still have some settings breakage dating from my original early mythtv-0.20 install. I think I'll have to hand-edit the database at somepoint to fix that h0rkage, since it just seems to live on and on with each new version.
  • Gotta fix my VFD status add-on, and one of my Frankenswitch add-ons.
But very surprisingly, most everything else just worked after the upgrade.

Cheers
post #53 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-15, 10:04 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I'm getting occasional mythfrontend 0.22 instability on Live TV too, but for me its when an ATSC station is first selected from the Program Guide. I've had to kill the mythfrontend process a few times already as it became unresponsive while the data from the mythbackend continued to arrive. It doesn't happen every time, but enough to make me annoyed at it. I've been too busy to look at the logs yet to see what might be happening.

OTOH recordings from those ATSC channels have been perfect, without a hitch.

post #54 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-16, 08:02 PM

Want to stay with 0.21

Hi,

I've been using and learning with Mythbuntu 9.04/MythTv 0.21.

I don't really want 0.22. I just got 0.21 working and I don't see anything new in 0.22 that I need. I like that I can play .iso files with 0.21 and from what I read 0.22 removed that feature. I have gigs worth of .iso backups, so 0.22 is out for the time being.

I would like to "update" my 0.21 to 0.21-fixes with VDPAU, but I'm afraid that by using the avenard.org repo, it will automatically upgrade to 0.22. I guess I need to compile my own using the VDPAU patch?
I'm sure I will have to do that if I want to upgrade to 9.10, but still use Mythtv 0.21.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Marc
post #55 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-16, 11:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemons View Post
I would like to "update" my 0.21 to 0.21-fixes with VDPAU, but I'm afraid that by using the avenard.org repo, it will automatically upgrade to 0.22.
No, I think the avenard repo is still good for 0.21-fixes stuff. Get it from there while you can! Then remove avenard from your apt sources afterward, and there'll be no worries about a future misupgrade.

If you truly want to build from source code, then I can give more info -- that's how I do it here (0.21-fixes + VDPAU + stuff). But for this to work well, it's best to first purge the Mythbuntu MythTV packages, after backing up the database.

Cheers
post #56 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
No, I think the avenard repo is still good for 0.21-fixes stuff. Get it from there while you can! Then remove avenard from your apt sources afterward, and there'll be no worries about a future misupgrade.

If you truly want to build from source code, then I can give more info -- that's how I do it here (0.21-fixes + VDPAU + stuff). But for this to work well, it's best to first purge the Mythbuntu MythTV packages, after backing up the database.
Yes, I'd like more info. Maybe start a new thread though, as I didn't intend on hijacking this one. I do want to upgrade to 9.10 eventually so I'll need it then. I'll try the repo with my current setup, as you suggest removing the repo afterwards.
post #57 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 11:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

vdpau is worth it!

Getting vdpau capability was well worth the transition from 0.21 to 0.22! The clarity and tidiness of the image and the OSD are terrific, although I've noticed a bit of sawtooth in rapidly moving objects probably due to my older Nvidia 8600GT card having the minimum hardware requirements for vdpau. Time for a new one.

post #58 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Yeah, but VDPAU is in 0.21 too, with the avenard repo (or source + patch). Solid, and well worth doing!

Cheers
post #59 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-20, 11:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I've noticed a bit of sawtooth in rapidly moving objects probably due to my older Nvidia 8600GT card having the minimum hardware requirements for vdpau. Time for a new one.
I seem to recall that the 8600GT is actually one of the better chips for (fanless/quiet) VDPAU. Have you enabled "Advanced 2X" deinterlacing in the Mythtv -> Setup -> TV -> Playback menus ?

EDIT: yeah, my memory is correct. That 8600GT should have slightly more horsepower than a 9500GT, enough for "Advanced 2X" deinterlacing. No jaggies.

My box here has a 9500GT card (fanless), and playback is simply beautiful with it (and VDPAU).

Cheers
post #60 of 398 (permalink) Old 2009-11-21, 01:15 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, I've had it set to Advanced 2X,HW with fallback to Advanced 1X,HW but the particular sawtooth I saw was much more noticeable under other settings before I switched to 0.22 with vdpau so I'm okay with it now.

Occasionally I get a faint horizontal line at mid-screen as the OSD fades so I'll probably disable that fading if I continue to see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in