Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #436 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 08:19 PM

@byebye_cable it sounds like the WMC problem is caused by Microsoft changing to the Rovi guide and Rovi having the incorrect channel assignments for CFTO and Global. Here is the solution:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-h...ml#post2568025
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 09:49 PM

Confirmed. I had already found/fixed, but thank you all the same.

Congrats on having a location on Mars named after your city
post #438 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-09-25, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I've officially moved off of Media Center, it's a sad day!

I'll try to keep things running with the old blog posts and hacks, let me know if any of the links break or if anyone needs access to files and information that I might have. However I no longer have the ability to assist with troubleshooting since I no longer have a Media Center box running in my home.

If you're interested in what I've moved to, I wrote about it here:
https://pnear.wordpress.com/2015/09/...r-hello-tablo/

post #439 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-11-03, 12:21 PM

Schoenbe have you ever found the issue with CJNT-DT? Looks like it's still not working with WMC..
post #440 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 02:24 PM

Hi Peter, I look forward to more of your blogs reviewing your new OTA setup.

Thanks for all your help with Windows Media Center over these past few years! I still use it today, but I'm in the same boat as others in this forum, with an end-of-life product roadmap and looking for alternatives.
post #441 of 496 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 09:24 AM

I agree and also thank Peter for all his efforts and commentary over the years.
I'm going to be a Media Center hold out for a while longer. I don't see myself moving off of it any time soon because for me it just works so well, and I have several hardware/software purchases that integrate so nicely with it.
post #442 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-01-29, 12:24 AM

Sorry for my very delayed response. After loosing the program guide for many channels, I did the following:

- delete the Media Center DB (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepg2-0.db)
- Run again TV signal setup, using ZIP code 05478

CJNT now plays properly in Media Center.
Issues: CBMT and CFHD do not play. I am investigating ...
post #443 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-01-31, 10:00 AM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
I would also like to sincerely thank, pnear.
The time & effort he put into helping all of out here is most valuable.
He has helped me out many times!

Best to you in your future endeavors, pnear.
I will be reading up on your new setup!!

Thanks to everyone else here too!

DCor.
post #444 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Hi, I used to have Telus as my DSL TV service provider in 2013. I cancelled it because I wasn't able to get WMC HTPC to talk to their STB.

Did anyone get CIS-4xx (Telus) PVR / STB to work with their windows media center ?

Last time I tried (2013) I wasn't able to find remote code combination that would work.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-03-05 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Merged posts
post #445 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 09:34 AM

@darkesha Telus uses the same STBs as AT&T U-Verse in the U.S. Here is an explanation of how to set up the codes using the Learning option, which will allow WMC to change the channels on the Telus STB.

https://mymce.wordpress.com/2012/10/...-media-center/

Are you currently using an STB with your current TV provider? Which TV tuner are you using in your PC and did it come with an IR blaster? Are you recording in standard definition?

I use WMC with an antenna for HD. I don't live in Telus territory, but if you have any questions, I may be able to help or someone else may be able to chime in.
post #446 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 09:29 PM
Rookie

Thanks so much for that information. I was dreading thinking about going through few thousands STB entries and finding out what box has the same IR codes as the Telus one.

Anyways - I used to have Shaw old Motorola (grey wide box) connected to Hauppage analog TV input card - I think input card was 950 model (came with IR blaster and remote).

But since we got shaw's PVR and lots of HD channels my wife used primarily that for her PVR use. I de-comissioned this setup and took the 950 out when I transferred my PC to the furnace room in the basement. I used the 950 for it's FM radio input but unfortunately I needed PCI slot for the discrete sound card since my integrated sound card died (warning: do not split your digital audio to 2 different devices) - lowered impedance might take the sound card + device out as in my case).

I did get HDHomeRun in the meantime and programmed it with my WMC (to get all of the 6 OTA local channels).

Now I will be switching from Shaw to Telus and they are charging $20 per month for PVR rental. I will get the non PVR STB and program it with my WMC through my old 950 and use the USB sound card instead of the PCI one.

This all might not be worth it if the wife is not happy with the SD picture quality which might force me to get HD input card in which case I will need a recommendation on the model.
post #447 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-05, 10:47 PM

@darkesha I'm glad you found the info helpful.

The SD picture quality would be the same as when you used that tuner with Shaw. If you want to go HD, there are 2 models that use component cables to bypass copy protection:

External: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-h...ge-hd-pvr.html
Internal: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-h...us-hd-pvr.html

You will only be able to record one channel at a time.

If all you want is a PVR, you best solution is probably the Telus Whole Home PVR, which can record up to 3 HD channels at once. Telus sells it for $250, rents it for $15, and bundles it and 2 additional STBs for free on contract. If you want to discuss Telus pricing further, please use the following thread so we don't take this one off topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-...ml#post2724914
post #448 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 04:33 AM
Rookie

Thanks for informations...Will I be able to record one channel at the time if I have dual OTA tuner (HDHomeRun) and Hauppauge HD PVR connected to the Telus STB through component output ?

I believe I should be able to record 3 at the same time, or watch one and record two ?

I just picked up Hauppauge HD PVR USB card but it didn't come with power brick. Anyone know how many amps it requires ? I see it's 5V.
post #449 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 07:29 AM

I meant you will only be able to get 1 channel through the Telus box.

If you got the HD PVR model 1212, the Hauppauge Web Store says it comes with a "5V 2 amp power supply."
Hauppauge Computer Works

If you click on the gallery tab at the following link and look at the picture of the back panel, it warns to "only use the power supply that was supplied with your HD PVR."
HD PVR Product Description

You will also need the "IR Blaster transmitter cable" to change channels on the Telus box.
post #450 of 496 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 05:10 PM
Rookie

I don't understand - the 5Vdc should be same on way or the other. There should be nothing too smart with their own power supply ?
My friend who borrowed me this box couldn't find the PS though.

I have the IR I got with my old 950MCE, hopefully it will work. I also have few of them that came with Shaw STBoxes.

My model is 49001 LF rev E1.

Tags
wmc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in