Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 28 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #406 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I just did a brand-new setup on Windows 7 with zip code 14174 and got all the guide data downloaded. Sorry man, I'm a bit stumped.

Have you ever run my Canada guide hack on these machines? Wondering if there's maybe one of the scheduled tasks still running, which was set to fool Media Center into thinking you were in another country. If that's still running every night, and the scheduled task finishes with setting your machine to Canada, then the US guide downloads might fail. Check in Windows Task Scheduler to see if there are any tasks running that would run some media center guide updates and registry changes.

-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-06-27, 08:07 PM
Member #1

Quote:
I just did a brand-new setup on Windows 7 with zip code 14174 and got all the guide data downloaded.
Last week I replaced my hard drive with an SSD drive an re-installed windows 7. I did the same thing but with a Different zip code (used a buffalo one) but it all worked for me. I was shocked that all the guide info was there without having to do the hack, but pleased.

post #408 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-06-28, 08:56 AM

Guys - thanks so much for your time to look into this and verify that you guys were still good with your installations. I finally figured it out... it was a more thorough removal of WMC than I had anticipated that did the trick. I also restarted my router (which I never do), although I'm not sure that played a role in this.

Ultimately what I did was:
Uninstalled Play Ready
Removed "Media Center" from Windows Programs and Features
Restarted the PC
Manually Deleted every file from both C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ehome and C:\Windows\ehome
- I wasn't doing this previously but I think this ultimately made the big difference!
Added back Media Center in Windows Programs and Features
Went through Media Center setup and re-installed some plugins

Still getting fully back up and running, but I've got a couple PCs operational again so this seems to be the solution. The worse part about all this has got to be losing all of your previous recording settings in terms of series and shows that you want WMC to pick up the next time they air. If the shows aren't on in the next two weeks you can't accurately pre-record them (I tried the keyword search record option and didn't like the results). No matter - this is much better than it was a day ago. Appreciate you guys and this forum very much!

Panasonic 65ZT60 | Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD | Marantz SR8200 | Elite DV-59AVi | Mirage OM series | Custom HTPC

post #409 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-06-29, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear it! Yeah, it's a pain to setup the series again and there are tools to help with that, but when things get this messed up I don't really want a tool to bring back in potentially bad data. Best to start from scratch.
post #410 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-09-30, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Hi,

A little help please?

I'm only getting 3 channels where i should be getting over 30 as i do with my tv.
new dual tuner haugpauge 2250 with fresh drivers.
I deleted the database just in case
ran the TV tuner setup using zipcode: 14174
WMC recognized the two ATSC tuners and i used those to search for channels.
I'm located close to downtown Toronto.
I'm getting many channel listing but only a few channels are turning
i'm getting "service is unavailable" - there is currently no..blah blah blah

channels so far:
9.1 (CTV)
23.1 (theCW)
23.2 (bounce)

anyone have any idea what im doing wrong?
post #411 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

You should definitely be getting more than that. Let's start with some of the basics.

1. Do you have a decent antenna? You can expect the tuner in your computer to be a bit weaker than your television, so if you have just a little antenna in the basement or something I would expect these sort of results (although that's a bit extremet)

2. Do you have it plugged in to the correct plug? The Hauppauge has two coax connections, one for FM and another for TV. Are you plugged into the TV?

3. Is the cable known to be good? Ie is it the exact same cable with no splits or anything that is connected to the TV, then unplugged and connected to the PC?

-Pete
post #412 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 09:11 AM

Update: errors in CJNT-DT ATSC stream

This is an update to post http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=360.

Montreal's CJNT is still not decoded by Windows Media Center. The station is now sending the correct ATSC stream elements, but after comparison with streams from other stations, I have noticed two differences:

- the PMT (program map table) of the first program is always 0x0030. In the case of CJNT, it is 0x005c.
- the ES PID (elementary stream program ID) of the video stream of the first program is always 0x0031. In the case of CJNT, it is 0x005d.

I wonder if this explains the failure of CJNT to be decoded by WMC. My attempts to contact Rogers have been futile. I will continue to try.
post #413 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 10:28 AM
Rookie

thanks for your help.

1. i have a roof 50 foot mounted Winegard hd7697p with a pre-amp from amazon.ca which was about $100

2&3. i just removed the splitter (2 way for t.v./tuner) and went directly into the correct connection (not FM) of tuner - still nothing

i just ran the WMC signal tester on both tuners and it came back at the lowest - 1 red bar out of 6 for all 50 channels in my guide.

not sure whats going on here. anything else i can test?
post #414 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-01, 12:40 PM
Rookie

so it may be the card. i just installed an older single tuner Hauuppauge 1800 and its tuning all the channels after first trying it in a newly built PC - it worked perfectly in both. I then tried the 2250 card in that new PC and same thing as before - only 3 channels are tuning out of the 50 in the guide.

weird! calling tech support to hopefully get a new card.

Last edited by 57; 2014-10-23 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
post #415 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-18, 09:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenbe View Post
This is an update to post http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=360.

Montreal's CJNT is still not decoded by Windows Media Center. The station is now sending the correct ATSC stream elements, but after comparison with streams from other stations, I have noticed two differences:
Please, keep us informed of any developments back from Rogers. I normally don't mind missing this channel, but tonight, local hockey game was not on CBC, but on City ;(

Last edited by 57; 2014-10-23 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened.
post #416 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-10-21, 06:53 PM
Rookie

My wife and I would also like to be able to watch city tv. Just did a new setup with win7 and dual tuner hvr 2255. I can remove the coax and plug directly in tv for hockey but a pain. Probably will split if signal is still ok
post #417 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 08:45 PM

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)
I have been reading alot of info on a VPN setup and the pros for it.
Now wondering with Netflix for Canada, and the newer Shomi & Crave available
are there still many advantages to getting WMC setup via a US based VPN.
If so, is there US VPN setup info to be found with this forum, not getting much from doing a thread or forum search.

Thanks.

Last edited by DCor; 2014-12-21 at 09:11 PM.
post #418 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-12-23, 08:16 AM

At the moment, Shomi & CraveTV are still tied to a cable/satellite subscription, so they don't help a cord cutter one bit.

A VPN service or a smart DNS service like Unblock-US will help you access foreign Netflix content (bigger/different catalog of movies & TV shows) as well as US-only services like Hulu and VUDU.

You don't need a VPN service to use WMC, it works just fine with an antenna for recording over-the-air shows. People mainly add a VPN / smart DNS in order to supplement their OTA setup with US Netflix or Hulu.

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-02-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: affiliate links
post #419 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-12-23, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
At the moment, Shomi & CraveTV are still tied to a cable/satellite subscription, so they don't help a cord cutter one bit.
Point of clarification:
You do not need a cable TV subscription to get Shomi. You only need Rogers Internet, which is all I have. Therefore I still would consider it cutting the cord, same as a Netflix subscription without cable or satellite, which only requires an Internet provider subscription.

If you have the Rogers Hybrid Fibre 60 plan or better, you get Shomi for free until March 31st, 2015. I downloaded the Shomi app on my Xbox and it works fairly well. Watching on your Xbox consumes Internet and counts against your monthly data cap!

Since I use WMC, I can exit out to the Xbox dashboard and run the Shomi app when I want to use it.
post #420 of 496 (permalink) Old 2014-12-23, 12:57 PM

My mistake - you're correct, you need certain Rogers/Bell products, or subscriptions to certain other BDUs to qualify. Many cord cutters run kicking and screaming away from Bell & Rogers to TekSavvy/Start/VMedia/etc, so Shomi & CraveTV are off limits to those people.

Adventures in Canadian Cord Cutting: http://www.canadiancordcutting.com/

Tags
wmc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in