HD-PVR options for OTA fans - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lightbulb HD-PVR options for OTA fans

Hi.. Is there a tuner that could front-end the http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html or another box with the same capability that has ATSC tuner built-in?

I currently have a Neuros OSD for recording from cable-box or playback of MPEG-4 from Torrent files... but no solution for OTA-HD.

TVIX is a candidate, and so is MythTV with pcHDTV HD-5500, and Nvidia card. The 5500 is most flexible, but I found only brief mention of it in the forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 10:04 PM
Veteran

That Hauppauge HD-PVR is for CableTV/Satellite users. The Over The Air (OTA) folks (like me) don't have any use for them, since a simple OTA ATSC tuner (PCIe or USB) gives a perfect capture for less $$.

MythTV is by far the most flexible option. But also perhaps the most difficult to set up if you try to mix OTA with CableTV.

I don't mix them, so even with my multi-antenna complexity it is easy to deal with. But my buddy who does mix CableTV and OTA is having a heck of a time getting things configured just right, including his HD-PVR accessory for CableTV.

SageTV is apparently also excellent, and has great appeal for the closed-source Windows crowd, though less flexible.

Cheers
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HD-PVR options for OTA fans

Quote:
a simple OTA ATSC tuner (PCIe or USB) gives a perfect capture for less $$
Hi... I should have worded the post a little differently to make clear that I simply wish to record OTA HiDef and watch it later. When I have a solution, I no longer will pay a monthly bill for cableTv and accessories.

I was wondering about the HD-5500, how well it works as a tuner but there is not much chatter in the forums about this pcHDTV. .. Cheers

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-05, 02:06 AM
Veteran

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question HiDef recording of OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Well, it's a long tale of the joys and troubles faced by early adopters. Each solution to the problem of OTA HiDef recording seems to bring new problems. Research continues..
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 10:03 AM
Veteran

I don't believe your Neuros device can actually record HD content, can it? The HD-PVR is pretty much the only way to record from satellite or cable HD boxes. This is typically done with software - MythTV is one PVR software but I would recommend SageTV. OTA HD is actually extremely easy to do and free as pointed out by mlord. But the downside is that it only gives you access to a small subset of channels and you cannot get cable only channels like TMN, TSN, HBO-Canada, Rogers Sportsnet, Treehouse, etc. You also have to be located in a city with OTA signals available which shouldn't be an issue in Richmond Hill as long as you can install an outdoor antenna to pull in Buffalo stations and don't have major obstructions to the south.

In my system I have two HD-PVRs, one OTA-HD tuner and one SD tuner using SageTV.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh48 View Post
Hi... I should have worded the post a little differently to make clear that I simply wish to record OTA HiDef and watch it later. When I have a solution, I no longer will pay a monthly bill for cableTv and accessories.

I was wondering about the HD-5500, how well it works as a tuner but there is not much chatter in the forums about this pcHDTV. .. Cheers
Well, pretty much any supported ATSC tuner card / USB stick will work, then. Stampeder (one of the forum moderators) uses pcHDTV 5500 cards in his Myth box, I believe.

-ml
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 05:39 PM

Any ATSC tuner card is already a PVR for OTA and you can record 'losslessly'. I only record modestly and I already have >2TBs of recordings.

The UI is personal preference, none of them is 100% free and 100% functional. GBPVR + subscription to ScheduleDirect is a good start if you don't have Window Media Center.

For ATSC tuner card, I have a few and the only one I would recommend is the HVR-1250 or whichever one that has the same guts inside.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-08, 07:31 PM

In my house we use a Mac Mini with an EyeTV 250 and it's included software to record and play back OAT (digital and analog). It can also export to iTunes.

Works well for us.

The Mini is also used for web browsing etc. with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-13, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
I don't believe your Neuros device can actually record HD content, can it?
Quite right! It can record MPEG4 from the cable box video out. and/or play torrent files from a USB stick. But is obsolete from the OTA point of view. That is why I am leary of buying another easy out of the box solution. Mythtv modularity provides some defense against obsolescense but it's flexibility costs more. I currently trying to get Mythbuntu to work. It has a clunky interface only a coder could love. :-)
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-14, 10:17 AM

I'm having great results using Win 7/Media Center as my OTA PVR:

- ASRock ION 330
- Windows 7 x64
- WinTV 950Q USB tuner
- CM 4221HD antenna

Great EPG, great interface. Here's some more info:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=108732
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-15, 11:23 AM

I cannot recommend the HDHomeRun highly enough. It is a two-tuner box that you can put anywhere you have a network connection, so you don't have to run coaxial cable through your house if you already have ethernet. The support team is unbelievable, they release updates all the time and will write whole new drivers to address unique issues with one person's configuration. It's also the only tuner to support ATSC in Canada out of the box in VMC w/ TV Pack.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-16, 10:41 PM
rpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
MythTV is by far the most flexible option. But also perhaps the most difficult to set up if you try to mix OTA with CableTV.

I don't mix them, so even with my multi-antenna complexity it is easy to deal with. But my buddy who does mix CableTV and OTA is having a heck of a time getting things configured just right, including his HD-PVR accessory for CableTV.
He's obviously doing something wrong then. I have 2 HD Homeruns for OTA, 2 PVR-150's for analog cable, and one HD-PVR for digital cable, and it all works quite well in MythTV.

Tom
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-19, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
He's obviously doing something wrong then. I have 2 HD Homeruns for OTA, 2 PVR-150's for analog cable, and one HD-PVR for digital cable, and it all works quite well in MythTV.
Ah, that could be useful.

*Exactly* which versions of software have you combined together to achieve this?

Thanks
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 2009-07-19, 05:31 PM
rpr

Fedora 8 backend with the latest updates, nothing compiled by hand except MythTV which is running current trunk, updated last night. I don't remember what firmware I am running on the HDHR's, it's been quite awhile since I updated them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in