HD-PVR options for OTA fans - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-01-30, 06:52 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Homeworx PVR

Looks like this forum has been dormant for a while. Let's if anyone is still here....

I wonder if anyone has tried this $70 OTA friendly DVR: http://goo.gl/n3ncfd

Have to add storage, but how is the basic unit? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 09:14 AM

Thumbs up Homeworx HW-150PVR (A72)

I'm using the same one though mine has a Dolby Digital insignia just to the left of the USB port. I had to play around with the settings a bit but it works great! Especially for the price.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up Homeworx HW-150PVR (A72)

Make sure that the USB stick that you need to buy for this unit is high speed and at least 32 GB. One hour of HD programming takes about 7 GB.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 09:35 AM
Veteran

An external USB hard drive would be a better buy. It claims to support up to a 2TB drive.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-15, 11:17 AM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
Wow, there is like on this forum! Thanks for the responses, guys. @Winnipeg305, did you find the settings were easy enough to deal with? Reasonably intuitive? Any issues?
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 04:31 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Several posts on those Mediasonic/Homeworx 150 boxes are in the OTA Forum's "ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM)" thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56806

Use the Search This Thread tool in there with the term "Homeworx"

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 02:18 PM

Several years ago most companies producing DVD recorders had models with ATSC tuners. Maybe there was no market for them, because now they have all disappeared.
Homeworx 150 might be a good solution, but a name brand DVD recorder with ATSC tuner and build in large hard drive would be a dream come true for us the OTA enthusiasts.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 2014-12-16, 04:51 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Exclamation Reminder: HTPC-Based Solutions in This Thread

A reminder that this present thread is for HTPC-based solutions for HD-PVR OTA.

For dedicated set top boxes and/or similar gear please use the OTA Forum's "ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM)" thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56806

Or if the topic is Channel Master set top boxes and/or similar gear please use the "Channel Master DVRs For OTA" thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=95820

cheers

post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 2015-03-30, 07:58 PM

Raspberry Pi?

Just wondering if anyone has tried building pvr functionality into a Raspberry Pi? I want to try it. I've just ordered a complete RP kit, all that's missing is the tuner. Out of the box I'll be using the Pi for streaming until I figure out the tuner/PVR part. I plan to use XBMC/Kodi and one of the RP distros as the media software, and I have a 1 TB HDD in a usb cage to record on.

Thoughts?
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 2015-03-30, 09:25 PM
Veteran

I have played around with several Pis and I doubt that this is a good idea as the USB port I/O isn't that great. And if it is a PVR then you want to be recording at least one but perhaps several shows while also being able to play a show. That will severely tax the Pi.

And an OTA signal has a bitrate of 19 Mbps so it uses a fair amount of the Pi's bandwidth.

You would be much better off with something like a NUC and a HD HomeRun as your tuner.

SageTV is about to be OpenSourced and it is a very good PVR solution.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 05:55 PM
Veteran

The Pi2 is now available and has a bit more power. I doubt a Pi would be up to both recording and playback. I also have some doubts about playback with MPEG2 OTA signals. There is a HD HomeRun that does MPEG4 transcoding so that is an option.

I've tried several devices for OTA and the best luck I've had is with a low end AMD APU solution. A suitable motherboard and APU can be purchased for about $150. Add a case, RAM, hard drive, cheap MCE remote and O/S. (A DVD or BD player is optional. Use a flash drive to install the O/S.)

NPVR is another good software solution for recording and playback of OTA using Windows. There are some preconfigured Linux solutions as well.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 2015-04-03, 07:39 PM
Veteran

^ At that price you're getting close to the price of the Tablo. Which I have and find works pretty well for a whole home OTA HD-PVR. Though I'm not sure I'd be so pleased if I didn't also already have Rokus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in