ATSC in Canada with Windows 7 via loadmxf.exe (almost!) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-07-14, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

I haven't looked at pulling listings from two services. In Vancouver, the OTA channels have the same listings as their analog counterparts on Shaw Cable. So I simply merge the channel listings in the Guide then set the tuner priority to pick the digital OTA tuners first. Maybe you can find a cable/sat provider with a lineup that more closely matches your OTA channels?
  • Choose Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels
  • To change the settings for a DTV channel, select the channel name and press OK on the remote control
  • Select Edit Listings
  • Select the channel that has the correct listings for the DTV channel.
  • Combining the channels removes the DTV channel from the Guide but allows you to watch or record from either source. (Copying the listings keeps both channels in the Guide, but you manually pick the source to watch or record.)
  • After confirming the edit, choose Edit Sources. This will display all the available tuners for that channel. You can then set the OTA tuners to have priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-07-29, 04:17 PM
Rookie

hi

It would be really nice to have downloadable zip file with the .mxf files for each major city center in Canada. (10 - 15 or so?)

And just unzip them over the right files to make it an easy process to get the guide setup to work.

Thoughts?

Derek

(Yes I know there is a registry edit in the procedure too, but it still would eliminate a lot of the process, and the enabling of ATSC could be by using nearby US postal codes at first?)
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had any luck getting your suggestions to work. Two problems.

When I merge the US and CA files, I'm merging tuner definitions as well as channel definitions. That varies with each person's PC. That is why I can't create a library of mxf files to be loaded. So, I tried running the US TV setup followed by the CA setup to see if both ATSC and NTSC tuner definitions remained in the mcepg1-5-0.db. Well, they do but the the ATSC devices are marked "deleted". So far, I don't know how to re-enable them. Unfortunately, I do not have a tool to directly manipulate the epg database.

I merge the US and CA files because I can load the entire mcepg1-5-0.db from scratch. The procedure would be simpler if I could load the US file directly into an existing CA epg. This sort of works, but the ATSC devices are not linked properly in the merged-lineups and are not enabled. I'll work on this a little bit more. This could eliminate a lot of XML editing.

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 08:24 PM

Michael:

Take a look at the custom guide hack I've got in draft, just updated it yesterday. You can push guide IDs into the database, and I've put a scheduled task together to update the US guide every night in addition to the Canadian guide. Batch file does all the work.

I'd appreciate your thoughts given that you've spent alot of time in the MXF database.

http://pnear.spaces.live.com/blog/cn...B107!285.entry
http://pnear.spaces.live.com/blog/cn...B107!255.entry

Pete
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Peter,

This is incredible stuff! It's a very elegant solution.

My test system is acting a little flakey. So I can only comment on my limited testing of your first scripts. So far it's been damn impressive! With your procedure, I was able to run both the NTSC and ATSC tuners on my retired ATI DTV Wonder. (This card was ATSC only in WinXP and completely unsupported in Vista.)

It wasn't sure when to load the EnableATSCand QAM.mxf file.
  1. Load and create a completely new mcepg.db before starting Media Center
  2. Start Media Center and load before running the TV Signal Setup
  3. Start Media Center, begin TV Signal Setup and load just before setup downloads data for your region

In my testing, I used this script from Mike Hayton to delete all previous mcepg databases and reset Media Center to its first use defaults before enabling ATSC/QAM.

You might be able to incorporate this procedure from jem101 at Digital Lifestyle to enable Internet TV. I think you just have to change the order of your registry edits to download the Canadian guide first, then change the GeoSetting to US and download the OTA and ITV guides, and leave the settings for the US.

There are some parts of the code that I don't understand. How does setting the uid to "tvss-ca" insert the TvSignalSetupParams without destroying the links to GeoSettings?

From Mike Hayton's explanation of the MXF structure, I thought the uid had to be of the form: !TvSignalSetupParams!text where text is some unique identifier.

This is just spit-balling, but the GeoSettings table links each country to the correct TvSignalSetupParams, TvOptionsParams, TvThumbParams, etc for that region. I started writing an MXF file that redefines the GeoSettings for CA so that it picks up a combination of Canadian and US parameter settings. I doubt that it is possible, but maybe GeoSettings could point to two region settings and thus pull in both Canadian and US guides. But that might also mean specifying two headends which probably isn't allowed.

Can you tell that I'm a little excited? Great work.
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-08, 05:43 PM

pnear, draft 2 seems to be working well for me with Windows RC. I simply did a fresh install, on first boot ran your scripts, ran Media Center and setup local channels (Rogers Analog Toronto), it went ahead and found all my ATSC channels.

I then tried GuideTool http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool which seems to have allowed my to associate Rogers Digital channels back to the ATSC channels. I'll probably play around a little more tonight (guide merging looks interesting) and let you know
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-09, 01:59 PM

Quick update; Pnear's draft 2 script and GuideTool gets us ahead of where we were back in the pre TV Pack VMC era. I've never had a seamless and simple installation of any Media Center or other Media Center alternatives period.

Run the script, detect ATSC channels, and use GuideTool to select the appropriate tv listings for the ATSC channel
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 12:46 PM

In my testing today on the RTM, guide tool doesn't show the listings that are associated with the imported US guide listings. I only get the antenna listings for the "native" region which doesn't include any HD flags or subchannel info.
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 08:39 PM

I haven't gone down the path of multiple guidelistings yet -- However with Guidetool I'm able to map any of the Rogers/Bell local data back to my ATSC channels. So I do get HD flags in guide, but you are right no subchannel information since Rogers/bell don't carry those channels (ie: Think)

Perhaps my solution isn't perfect; but is working well for me
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 2009-08-12, 08:53 PM

Excellent, glad to hear that it's working. Guidetool is slick, I was hoping it would work with the additional listing but alas it did not. Thanks for the tip!

Pete
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-27, 10:23 PM
Rookie

Does this work with the retail version of windows 7?
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I used Peter Near's batch files to enable my ATSC tuners and guide in Windows 7. It works like a charm.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-28, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Ok i did a fresh install before christmas and I have not been able to get it to work. I can manually add the atsc channels from buffalo but the scan only finds my analog tuner.

other than a reinstall any idea's on what i can try?

Thanks
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 12:19 AM

+1 for the Peter Near batch files

Read the instructions carefully and they work like a charm.

A problem I've had, and maybe this is just a necessary evil because of the way Media Center is set up, is that I have to run the guide batch file everytime I need to update the guide, otherwise it doesn't do it for me.

Another problem is that it seems to only update a week to 10 days into the future...is this normal?
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 05:52 PM

The Peter Near batch file can be setup to run automatically using Windows scheduler service.

I haven't had to update in the 6 weeks i have been using it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in