Attn ALL PS3 owners who use it as a media centre - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-04-10, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Attn ALL PS3 owners who use it as a media centre

I ran into a problem with my PS3 and laptop (which I use as a media server) streaming properly.

I have been streaming movies (.avi) from my laptop thru my PS3 with few problems. I ran low on storage, so I just added an external WD SATA drive connected via usb to laptop. I set it up as a simple drive, and stored movies on it. (also backed up pics, etc)

For those familiar with the PS3 menu, to select a video to watch, you select applicable 1)media server - 2)videos - 3)folders - 4)my videos to view the my videos files on the media server. (I dont think you can edit the PS3 menus to avoid all those steps...)

So I created a shortcut to the external drive - renamed it My videos and put it in the My Documents folder so that the PS3 views that drive.

It worked in that I can view all the files in there. But here is the problem I have.

When I select a movie to watch, the PS3 says "unsupported data", and wont play it. These are the same .avi files I can watch with no problems if I have them stored on the laptop drive. And if I copy them back from the external drive to the internal drive, they work again.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-04-10, 12:01 PM

I have a similar setup as you, external USB storage. I use the free PS3 Media Server on the laptop. I find the PS3 has problems with some avi files. They come up as corrupt or unsupported data when I navigate through the folders to the files directly on the PS3, but when I go through the #--transcode--# folder they play without any problems.
Go figure.
Try that and see if it works in your case.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

If ps3 media server program is answer I'm in trouble

PS3 media server wont run on my laptop all of a sudden. I uninstalled, re-downloaded it, re-installed, and it still wont run.

When I double click the short cut icon, or use the start menu and click on program, I get a cursor hour glass for about 1/4 second and that is it.

I did use previously with no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in