Can't get 5.1 sound in XP MCE - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Can't get 5.1 sound in XP MCE

So I've been troubleshooting this for a while now and have come to a road block, so I'm hoping you guys can help. I have an HTPC running XP MCE. The on-board SPDIF is connected to my a/v receiver. I'm using nVidia Pure Video DVD decoder. I've got all my soundcard settings on 'SPDIF out'. I can get surround sound on DVDs and mpgs when playing them through Media Player. In MCE, I still get surround sound when playing the same mpgs, but not DVDs. For DVDs, the a/v receiver reads "PCM" and I can hear everything but voices are very muffled (nothing coming out of the centre channel). All the posts I've read say that there is a separate setting in MCE, under Settings -> DVD audio, where you have to flag 'SPDIF out'. My problem is when I go to that menu, I don't see that selection. Oddly, I saw that menu item once or twice, for a brief second, but then it quickly disappeared before I could navigate to it. I've read that the screen is not configured properly so it sometimes doesn't show up. Does anyone know of a way to flag this feature directly in the Windows Registry? Alternatively, any other work arounds? Ideally, I'd like to use the DVD functionality in MCE as opposed to Medial Player ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 04:01 PM

You need to change the setting that is making your computer decode the sound. You do not want your computer to do the decoding of the signal. You want to send encoded (non-decoded) 5.1 to your amp for it to decode.

There should be an option somewhere to allow bitstreaming of Dolby Digital and DTS through SPDIF. (You don't want PCM as SPDIF doesn't have enough bandwitdth to support 6-channel PCM).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 04:07 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The setting is usually labelled something like "bitstream" or "raw". As mentioned above, you should not select PCM.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I understand and agree that I need to select "SPDIF passthru" but I can't seem to access the menu item in MCE for some very odd reason, so I was wondering if there was a way of doing so via Windows Registry. Its very odd to say the least but I just don't see that setting on my setup. Also, I've installed the trial version of nVidia Pure Video, but I can seem to locate an actual program. I've installed AC3filter and can access an actual program where I can the change settings, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 04:20 PM

did you try "use SPDIF" checked in AC3filter ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 05:35 PM

Disappearing DD/AC3 option sounds very much like DVD player limitation.

XP (unlike Vista) by itself can't handle neither AC3 nor MPEG-2.
It looks like NVidia handles MPEG-2 in your setup. What filter deals with AC3? Open the VOB in graphedit to figure out.

Have you installed any codec packs by any chance?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

"did you try "use SPDIF" checked in AC3filter?"

Yes - and I believe that allowed me to get 5.1 in Media Player, but the problem is I think MCE is using nVidia Pure Video decoder, and I cannot seem to access a similar function to use SPDIF passthru for MCE

"What filter deals with AC3? Open the VOB in graphedit to figure out."

I'm afraid that one went over my head. AC3filter, no? How do I go about opening the VOB in "graphedit"?

"Have you installed any codec packs by any chance?"

Only AC3filter and nVidia Pure Video
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 08:27 PM

Get graphedit (no installation required, just run the exe) and open one of the VOBs from the DVD.
It will build a graph how Windows plays it. Press play. While playing, right-click the audio decoder (AC3Filter or whatever it is) and click Properties. Check whether it uses SPDIF.

MCE sometimes has its own mind RE: graph building. But it is known to work with AC3Filter.

One more thing, did you tell Windows XP you have a 5-speaker setup? AC3Filter might work around it but MCE would obey if you left stereo...
Double-click Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel and click Advanced in the Speaker settings section.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-04-07, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

So I think I finally solved my issue. I went back to my MCE settings and noticed that my speakers were set to 2 for some reason. I could swear I set them up to 5.1 originally. Well, I changed them back to 5.1 again and low and behold, I could then enter the Settings -> DVD -> Audio settings and could finally see the selection for 'SPDIF passthru'. DVDs are playing in 5.1 in MCE finally!

I'm getting Norton Ghost and making an image of my primary HTPC HDD cause I don't want to go through this set up hassle again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in