My Quest to Build a HTPC - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-14, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

In Sage it isn't easy to direct a specific program to a tuner but you can pretty much do this as you can enable/disable channels for certain tuners and you can set the relative prioirty of tuners.

In my system the OTA HD tuner is first priority, the SD tuner is second prioirity and the HD-PVRs are third and fourth prioirty. The OTA HD tuner only has access to OTA channels - on my system this is the ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS stations from Buffalo and CBC from Toronto. (If I wanted to futz around with the antenna in my attic I could likely also get the other Toronto OTA stations such as CTV, Global, CITY, but they don't broadcast anything I care about that isn't already available from the Buffalo stations). The SD tuner only has access to SD channels, both digital and analog. The HD-PVR has access to all HD channels, including cable only channels like TSNHD, TMNHD, etc., and access to all SD channels. Therefore Sage will only use the HD-PVR(s) to record SD shows if the SD tuner is already busy recording another show.

Sage is also smart enough to record a show in HD if it is available. You can also restrict Favourites/Series to certain channels (or you can record every occurrence on every channel). For example I tell Sage to only record 30 Rock on WGRZ-DT which is the Buffalo NBC affiliate which I have available OTA plus via my HD-PVRs. Since my OTA tuner is rarely busy 30 Rock will always record via my OTA tuner. That leaves my HD-PVRs free to record other content like Leafs and Raptors games that are only available on cable channels. And I tell Sage to only record Leafs games on TSNHD, LEAFSTVHD, CBCHD and SporstnetHD and Raptors games on TSNHD, SCOREHD, CBCHD and SporstnetHD.

I have had my system recording from all 4 tuners at once for the heck of it. The only problem is having the time to watch all of the stuff that I record - I usually end up deleting more than I watch. Who wants to watch a one week old hockey game? But it is great to be able to watch a hockey game starting at 10 pm, after the kids are in bed, and skip all commercials, intermissions, etc. and be able to watch the full game in one hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-14, 06:32 PM
Veteran

You just need to teach your Sage a little script. If Toronto losing >3 recording=delete
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-14, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That would have saved me from recording a lot of games this year!

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 08:34 PM
Veteran

Got my equipment today and after a fair amount of troubleshooting I am still not past the point of a working HD PVR heh.

It's in device manager with no errors. I have the latest release driver (didn't try the beta). First I was just trying SageTV and it said there was no capture device. I then tried opening Vidcap32 from within the Hauppauge install folder and it said the same thing. I then selected the Hauppauge card from within Vidcap32 and the program froze. Had to CTRL+ALT+DEL. Then I tried the same action in TME, I went to the "Capture" tab in TME and it freezes there as well. I also have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out.

I have since update my video and hdmi audio drive from ATI but no change. I had at one point Sage picking up the tuner but was just getting an error trying to get any channels. At no point was I able to use vidcap32 or the Arcsoft tuner.

Also I can't run TMT at all. I click it, the hourglass spins and dissapears. I have reinstalled both the hardware and TMT but no cookie. Did you run into any of these issues on WHS?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 10:30 PM
Veteran

Well after a few hours I decided to try and install it on my XP laptop and next/next/next the PVR is working fine so it's a WHS issue to be sure. Trying to install Sage on the laptop now just to make myself feel better.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Yep, on XP everything just worked like a charm. Like a charm being like trying to get your grandma to do a triathlon as my laptop is 42 years old but it worked nonetheless.

Gonna try to blow away everything on the WHS and try one more time from scratch before contemplating going with Vista or XP. I like WHS, seems very resource stingy.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-21, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I didn't have any issues like this at all - it installed perfectly the first time - and I am not the only one as lots of people run Sage on WHS without any issues. I haven't installed TMT on the WHS box as I don't know that it will even run as I am not sure that WHS even has DirectX that would be required. But that should have nothing to do with getting the HD-PVR working in WHS.

One more thing - how much memory do you have in your WHS box. When I had 4 GB I had problems with one of my Hauppauge drivers so I had to pull a stick and go down to 2GB. With 4GB I believe the HD-PVR did work but my Hauppauge PVR-150 would not as there is a bug that affects some Hauppauge drivers when you have 4 GB and WHS seems able to see more memory that XP for some reason. Just a shot in the dark but you never know...
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-22, 12:12 AM
Veteran

Just 1gb. I suspect the root cause is the TME/TMT software. What are you using for codecs/media players? On my laptop after I installed the TME it showed up in SageTV as as option for a decoder. It never did in WHS which tells me the install of TME went south.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-24, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

If you are going to try again then don't install the Arcsoft software as that is only required for playback and you can't playback video on the WHS box. You will need to install Arcsoft on other clients if they are running the Client version of Sage - you won't need it at all if you are just using HD-200 extenders.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-24, 06:44 PM
Veteran

You just blew my mind Neo style.

The WHS Sage server WON'T work as a stand alone client hooked to a TV?

Wowserz heh. Ok so I need to just leave it as a server and use clients, either another PC or the official extender?

Ok, back to work this weekend. I haven't actually reimaged anything yet but kinda thought I could make it work stand alone first then get the extenders as I wanted to sell it to the wife before I go out and buy the extenders. Guess I need to setup a 2nd PC for that. Ok, good to know.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-24, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sorry but WHS is meant to run as a headless server that is accessed via the WHS console. Supposedly they don't even support Remote Desktoping into the PC, never mind installing video cards. Mind you I do have a low end video card installed in my WHS box and it works fine but Sage won't play back any shows. I remember reading somewhere that WHS doesn't come with DirectX but you can install it with some hacking.

If you want to use your server also connected to a TV then use Vista or XP. The recommendation used to be XP but now that Sage supports EVR apparently Vista is preferred by those in the know. But turn off UAC otherwise it will cause you headaches.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2009-04-24, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Well the intent is headless as you say but before cutting off the head I wanted to try it with the head on lol .

I do have another PC floating around. I'll just use that instead or my main desktop which is running Windoze 7. WHS with server installed and then a XP or Vista machine with client and the video card on the client is what does the heavy lifting?

You can do remote desktop though on WHS. I have been using it. No tweaks, just worked out of the box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in