O/S question - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

O/S question

Forgive the newbie question that is about to follow...

I'm building a PC/HTPC from scratch for the first time. I have all the components I need except the O/S. I've read all the XP vs. Vista pros and cons and I've decided to stick with XP.

I've got a XP installation disk that was provided with a Dell PC I bought awhile ago. Will this disk work with my new build? Is this considered piracy? I'm thinking it's not as I am the owner of the o/s license (correct?).

I'm hoping to save some $$$ on the o/s by using this installation disk.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 07:16 PM
Member #1

I believe installing a single licence of any commercial OS on two or more computers would be considered piracy.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideauman View Post
Will this disk work with my new build?
You mean just moving the hard drive with the OS from the Dell to the new PC? Most likely this won't work.
Quote:
Is this considered piracy?
Is your old Dell PC still operational? If yes - it is piracy. If no - depends who you ask.
Microsoft will tell you the license goes with the metal the sticker (with the license key) was attached to. New metal requires a new key.

Worst case scenario: the old key doesn't work on your new build and you want to be legit (and the old Dell is not operational).
Call Microsoft and tell them your motherboard died. Unless your key is in their list of suspicious, they will give you a new key on the spot.
Quote:
I'm thinking it's not as I am the owner of the o/s license (correct?)
In the world of software you own nothing. That applies to movies nowadays, too.

Just FYI, there are legitimate ways to run multiple copies of the same OS using the same key: virtual machines on the same hardware.
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition allows 4 such copies, Datacenter - unlimited.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 08:53 PM

The key is licenced to the processor/CPU, not the user, what may happen is the first install on the new machine, it may see completely different hardware and prompt you to call MS for a new key....I have had to do this before after a hardware change and I got a new key, strange though, I completely built a new machine 2 yrs ago and didn't have to call MS for a new key...I do have a licenced copy of XP but not an OEM version that comes with a store bought machine...who knows how Microsoft decides this or how it works....I guess someone at MS knows...LOL

The OEM HP disk is probably for the HP machine hardware and software, you may run into driver issues...

Sony 46XBR3, STR-DE898, PS3 60GB, JBL fronts, Bose rears, Polk sub/center, HK-DVD22, BellTVHD, Harmony1

Last edited by BadLag; 2009-04-02 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something..again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 11:25 PM

The license that came with the Dell machine is OEM. You cannot transfer OEM licenses of Windows (or any other MS software) to another machine under any circumstances. Doing so is a violation of the EULA. That's why OEM licenses cost less than retail versions.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:10 AM
Veteran

Dude,

Rather than pirating something of dubious value, you might first consider downloading free/legal Mythbuntu and giving that a whirl.

If it doesn't work out, you can always then slip back into the criminal/rich mindset and help fund billg's retirement.

Cheers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:22 AM

I was just thinking: will this thead make it to double digit number of posts before dropping Windows will be suggested?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Drop Windows - I wish! Too many Excel, Powerpoint, and Word files that need to be supported.

The Dell unit mentioned at the beginning of this thread is dead (rip). Regardless, it doesn't sound like I would be the most honourable software owner if I was to try to continue with installing with the original o/s disk (installation CD - not the hard drive). I guess I will bite the bullet and purchase a new installation kit.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:29 AM

xp is a little long-in-the-tooth...

d/l a copy of the 7 beta - at least you will be good until August and then worry about resetting the time-out or get a real license...

don't scam your OEM license on old & busted xp...

2 cents...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Drop Windows - I wish! Too many Excel, Powerpoint, and Word files that need to be supported.
If you want to avoid the discussion about dropping Windows, this isn't enough (OpenOffice?)
You should say something about having to run a pile of macros within those spreadsheets on one hand and not yet ready to look for another job because you hate Microsoft, on the other...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 01:32 AM

Here's what CNet say's on the subject. If I where you I'd install the copy you have and call them to activate it. If they give the new key its not piracy, if not you'll have to buy a new copy.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 02:18 AM
Veteran

That cnet article isn't for OEM versions. The EULA for OEM versions of XP explicitly state that the copy is for one machine only.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 09:21 PM

Quote:
versions of XP explicitly state that the copy is for one machine only
Interesting... that's exactly what CNet is saying in the article.
Only one machine.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 09:33 PM
Veteran

I am not sure I get your point here. If you trick some customer service guy at MS into reactivating an activation key for another PC, it is still piracy whether cnet says it is OK or not. Also, you might want to keep in mind that the article to which you referred was written before XP was even released - pretty old!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2009-04-03, 11:08 PM
Veteran

I bought 2 copies of XP......years ago. I build all my own PC's and I have reimaged oem laptops with my own XP pro. Over the coarse of years I must have installed these copies on 6-8 PC's atleast. Last year I built a new rig and went with Vista. Because of Vista's questionable record I decided on a dual boot system. When I went to install XP I got the message that my uses of the license had expired. I called up MS and the guy asked me what I had done with the old PC I had XP installed on. Told him I installed a copy of Win 2K I had and was using it as a server. That was it, copy of XP activated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in