PS3 Media Server - Tversity Killer? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

PS3 Media Server - Tversity Killer?

I have been a long time user of Tversity as the media server of choice for my PS3. However, a recent newcomer to the game, PS3 Media Server, is proving to be a formidable contender and IMO has surpassed Tversity as the best meda server available for the PS3.

Here are some of its features:
- availabe for Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux
- Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
- Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
- OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
- Thumbnail generation for Videos
- You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
- All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play
- ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders for pictures/audio files
- Preliminary support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
- Preliminary Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
- Lossless 5.1 PCM transcoding with DTS movies (windows only)

The things I really like about this program are it's small memory footprint, its automatic folder refresh, ease of installation but with many user customizable features, and it's excellent handling of mkv's (remux vs transcode).

Here is the link to the official website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
It'll stream a DVD image file and VIDEO_TS folder?
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:09 PM

You mean I can rip all my DVD's into ISO files and then stream when I want... this would be way awesome!

I wonder if I can rip a Blu-Ray as well?

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleemo View Post
It'll stream a DVD image file and VIDEO_TS folder?
I haven't tried it personally yet, but according to reports from other users it can.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:17 PM
Member #1

That in itself is worth a try! Thanks super.

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:23 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the info - will have to try this when I get home!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 03:42 PM

I concur, I've been using the Linux version for a few weeks now and although it almost looks too simple, it blows everything else I've tried so far out of the water. In my experience (I haven't tried everything yet, this is just "plug and try to play a few things"), it was able to:
  • transcode audio from Ogg Vorbis
  • stream 5.1 audio
  • stream high-bitrate transcoded video (maxed my wireless connection); it can use up a lot of CPU while transcoding however (pretty obvious, but maybe slower systems would have problems?)
It's also very stable. I've never seen it disconnect from the PS3 like the other solutions are prone to do.

What I also like about it personally is that it's very efficient but written in Java, so I'll be able to contribute all my great ideas (if I do say so myself ) as soon as I find a little spare time. I should also mention that the site and software receives updates almost every week.

Given that it's a very young project, the fact that it can already achieve so much gives me great hopes for the future. Check it out!
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 07:54 PM

WOW! I am very impressed with the program, thank you for sharing!

I find it to be very stable and connection stays in place all the time. The interface is also very friendly although not as fancy looking as TVersity, which is just fine by me.

The program itself is very fast as well, I used to have to refresh the library a lot to ensure proper data are being shared onto the PS3 but no such problem here.

I am close to removing the TVersity of my computer...

thanks for sharing

Sharp D64u 42" & 46" , PS3 , Toshiba Qosmio G40, Yamaha 6130B, Energy Take Classic
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 09:08 PM

my god this program is good.

i have played around a bit with streaming programs, but haven't been happy with their ease of use and compatibility and what not.

i have been testing regular dvdrip xvids, 720p/1080p mkv files, and they have all worked right away, and without a hitch....

wmvhd 1080p plays perfect, not a trace of a skip or anything... can't say the same for 1080p mkv, unfortunately, but i may play around a bit and see if i can't fix that.

btw, i have a core i7 920 proc, asus p6t mobo, 6gb ddr3, raptor 150gb HD, so for the first time in my life i have the ability to actually utilize stuff like this properly, and its quite nice.

i found that the wireless obviously didn't have the bandwidth to stream 720p, so i've rigged up a cat5 connection (ps3 is literally sitting on the stairs right now) just to test it out before buying a long ethernet cable, and it's running perfect.

after some further investigating, the ps3 actually has gigabit ethernet, so if i run it directly to my pc, rather than thru the router, i will have gigabit speed, annnnnd it just so happens that a local cabling company has 5m of cat 6 for $14.50.

i'll let you guys know how 1080p does over gigabit tomorrow.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 10:12 PM
Veteran

Wow, I never knew the PS3 had a gigabit ethernet connection.
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 10:32 PM

So this is streaming mkv files without the need for conversion?
Hmmm...
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 10:52 PM

streaming IF you have enough CPU power... "Actually a Core2Duo CPU is enough to transcode 1080p with default network or quality settings, but a P4 is the very low limit in order to play a 720p video."

i have found 1080p struggles on 100mbps connection, so i hafta get a cat6 cable to run gigabit ethernet, and ill let you know how that works.
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham.Clan View Post
So this is streaming mkv files without the need for conversion?
Hmmm...
Yeah, as long as the mkv conforms to the PS3 specs, PS3 Media Server will remux on the fly without having to transcode (much less CPU power). Make sure to select the tsMuxer engine if you don't want it to transcode. Just for reference, I am running this on a P4 2.0Ghz single processor with 1GB ram and gigabit ethernet.

Also, to follow up on my previous post, ISO's can indeed be streamed to the PS3. Albeit without a menu.
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Is it only my or is the PS3MediaServer slooooow? I have tried TVersity and PS3MediaServer now. First one isn't bad at all, latter one seems to be easier but is really slow. I'm using Nero MediaHome 4 since several weeks now. It's great, it's easy and worked out of the box. The feature set is similar to PS3MediaServer, includes live TV streaming using a TV adapter in your PC, and it continues to work after the 15 days test period has passed. So it's kinda free, too
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 08:46 AM
Veteran

thats for the link. I really dont like TVersity, it works but i just dont like the interface all that much, im giving this one a try today

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in