PS3 Media Server - Tversity Killer? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner View Post
Is it only my or is the PS3MediaServer slooooow?
I find it much faster than Tversity and I'm running it on a slower PC. Do you have the latest jre installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 10:13 AM
Veteran

i found it fast, i use a HP quadcore 6600 with a dir655 dlink

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaf View Post
streaming IF you have enough CPU power... "Actually a Core2Duo CPU is enough to transcode 1080p with default network or quality settings, but a P4 is the very low limit in order to play a 720p video."

i have found 1080p struggles on 100mbps connection, so i hafta get a cat6 cable to run gigabit ethernet, and ill let you know how that works.
Gigabit? Most of the MKV 1080p encodes use <20Mbit/s bitrate. My 100Mb connection works without a hitch...

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 02:04 PM

Quote:
i have found 1080p struggles on 100mbps connection, so i hafta get a cat6 cable to run gigabit ethernet, and ill let you know how that works.
like testikoff mentioned, i stream 1080p over a 100Mbps connection all the time.. those 1080p videos are usually around 15Mbps.

also, you can use cat5e to make a gigabit ethernet connection if its already in place
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
Wow, I never knew the PS3 had a gigabit ethernet connection.
yeah. i'm not a ****** or anything, and i really don't use this thing for gaming, but you gotta admit, the ps3 is one fancy piece of machinery. and people complained when it cost 700 bucks, for what it did... wireless/gigabit ethernet, blu-ray, sacd, card reader, 60gb hd, bluetooth, etc, etc, etc, it was a pretty good deal.

as far as the program goes, i bought a cat6, and just streamed some 1080p flawlessly. with the exception of a cable running down the side of the stairs, this is awesome. very, very happy with this program.
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 07:42 PM

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.
Is there a way to over-ride the 8 sub-folder max that is in place?

I have my mp3 library buried just a bit deeper than that and would sure like to get the streaming audio.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is a PS3 thing or if it's a PS3 media server thing.
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travale View Post

I have my mp3 library buried just a bit deeper than that and would sure like to get the streaming audio.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is a PS3 thing or if it's a PS3 media server thing.
Not sure about your specific question, but you might have an easy way around it. PS3MediaServer by default shows your entire disk from the very top, and some people like that, however it is always possible to provide a list of directories to show instead (including sub-directories, of course). This is especially useful when some of your users do not know or care what your entire disk structure looks like, you can bring them directly to the good stuff.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 11:40 PM
Veteran

I find that the audio and video are often out of sync when transcoding video - has anyone else experienced this issue?
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-27, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travale View Post
The 8 sub-folder thing is a PS3 limitation. So there is no way around it.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-28, 02:18 AM

Location: Vancouver Island. Shaw cable.Sony 46V2500,DCT6416(w/TB Xpndr), PS3, Denon AVR2807, Paradigm spkrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3aponx View Post
Not sure about your specific question, but you might have an easy way around it. PS3MediaServer by default shows your entire disk from the very top, and some people like that, however it is always possible to provide a list of directories to show instead (including sub-directories, of course). This is especially useful when some of your users do not know or care what your entire disk structure looks like, you can bring them directly to the good stuff.
Thank you, that has solved my problem.
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-28, 08:39 AM
Veteran

I use TVersity and convert my MKV files to MPG using MKV2VOB. Is there a picture quality difference when streaming straight MKVs using PS3 Media Sever?
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-28, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleemo View Post
I use TVersity and convert my MKV files to MPG using MKV2VOB. Is there a picture quality difference when streaming straight MKVs using PS3 Media Sever?
Shouldn't be any difference if you use tsMuxer as the engine. tsMuxer basically does the same thing as MKV2VOB but on the fly.
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-29, 12:01 PM

So it can read VOB files straight from the VideoTS folder, but someone has mentioned that it can't read the menus, so no access to chapters or special features? How do you select the different audio features?

What about the multiple VOB files, will it play the movie in its entirety or does it skip from VOB to VOB with a slight pause, or does it require you to select the next VOB once the original one is finished?

Thanks,

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-01-31, 09:58 AM
Premium Supporter

Thumbs up great on a mac

Agreed, this thing rocks. I've got it running on our two iMacs over gigabit. I don't seem to have enough jam to transcode mkv's on the fly, but oh well, I run tsmuxergui under Crossover for Mac. PS3MediaServer is worth using for the lack of dropped connections alone, unlike other "paid" solutions.

I've only been using it for a couple weeks, and it kills Nullriver's MediaLink and Mediatomb (the latter I had compiled myself due to lack of a proper Mac version).

I used to be almost jealous of the Windows software available for this purpose, but no more.
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 2009-02-01, 08:34 PM

Nice piece of software. Will not work with my G5 for MKV files and barely with my Core Duo Macbook 512mb of ram. I guess I need to upgrade my Apple machines to take advantage of my new PS3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in