Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

764K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#2,508 ·
I'm travelling to Baja next month and am bringing my receiver and dish with me.
With all the hoopla regarding SD cutting back on service below the 49th parallel, which channel would I set my 630 receiver on to find service? I'm have the classic guide, so can you provide a channel number as well as the station?
Thanks!

#2,509 ·
Any of the channels currently on F2, a list of those channels (may not be totally up to date) is here:

Assuming your receiver got the new maps from the recent transponder modulation changes, then you are good to go.

EDIT: All the transponders, except for T2, have the new modulation, and are stronger, so I would use one of those to point your dish.

Reactions: tvmaster
#2,514 · (Edited)
Still have issues - I am on CPAC ch 254 by default from Shaw. I get 93 signal strength. I have done a Factory refresh, and then followed the instructions in the Shaw email - got to 265 - lost satellite - signal is 0. Then I went to 741 - get not subscribed (which is correct) and wait for 5 minutes to download the mapping. Signal is 93. Still no other channels.

Then did a power off restart and a received refresh. Still only get one channel - 254.

I think I have tried every suggestion - still stuck - and suggestions?

Thanks

John

#2,517 · (Edited)
Our receiver was not plugged in as we were on the move in our RV when the latest changes occured.Have now setup our dish but signal meter on the receiver show's no movement to get the signal,is there a specific channel I should use or any other suggestions? I have set the dish up for years with no problems but never experienced this issue.

#2,518 ·
If you had it plugged in after the last change (Nov 15th) and everything was working fine (including on these channels, if you can remember!), then try: 259, 260, 262, 404, 444, 446, or 453 .

If not, then try one of these channels: 158, 182, 226, 244, or 317.

#2,524 ·
Excellent news! Glad I could help.

If any of the other channels you normally get aren't coming in yet, leave the receiver on one of the channels you are getting until the new channel maps have loading in.

EDIT: You might still have to peak your dish a bit more, but wait until all channels are working, and use the lowest signal to peak on (the 158-317 channels).

#2,527 ·
Hi Gents,

I am fully aware of the pending demise of F2 and what it will do to my Snowbird Cyberfriends in regards to their ability to watch Canadian TV. So I thought I'd share some info I stumbled across that may be a decent solution.

On another Web Site someone posted about Typhoon Labs which is a IPTV Streaming Service which looks like it carries many of the TV Channels that Shaw Direct has, plus a ton more from all over. "Currently Android platform is supported. You can use the service on any Android Devices such as Firestick, Nvidia Shield, Android TV Box, Mobile or Tab, Google TV, New Chromecast with Google TV, Android TV." Here's their TV Content List

I've checked out their Web Site and I'd be interested in it if I was in our Southern Provinces. They offer a free 48 hour demo, which I'd use to test it out before committing to it with $. They offer 1/3/12 month access at $16/$40/$80 respectively so it may fit your travel plans. I don't know if it would work in Canada, but it would be slick if it did. That would be one of the questions I'd ask before I'd buy access for 12 months.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. I'd be interested in hearing if this works for you.

#2,528 ·
Hi Gents,

I am fully aware of the pending demise of F2 and what it will do to my Snowbird Cyberfriends in regards to their ability to watch Canadian TV. So I thought I'd share some info I stumbled across that may be a decent solution.

On another Web Site someone posted about Typhoon Labs which is a IPTV Streaming Service which looks like it carries many of the TV Channels that Shaw Direct has, plus a ton more from all over. "Currently Android platform is supported. You can use the service on any Android Devices such as Firestick, Nvidia Shield, Android TV Box, Mobile or Tab, Google TV, New Chromecast with Google TV, Android TV." Here's their TV Content List

I've checked out their Web Site and I'd be interested in it if I was in our Southern Provinces. They offer a free 48 hour demo, which I'd use to test it out before committing to it with $. They offer 1/3/12 month access at $16/$40/$80 respectively so it may fit your travel plans. I don't know if it would work in Canada, but it would be slick if it did. That would be one of the questions I'd ask before I'd buy access for 12 months.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. I'd be interested in hearing if this works for you.
Well, I’m impressed by their CDN content, especially the two sports nets, BNN and CDN. network time zones/affiliates. Do you know if this is legit, i.e. they’re actually paying to carry these channels?

#2,530 ·
Gents, while I do understand your concern, figuring out the legality of any US business is well beyond my reach, especially cyber based ones. Not having an App on Google or Apple sites just means they aren't interested in paying them a healthy percentage of the profits. (You don't think Apple, Microsoft, and Google do it for free do you?)

Typhoon Labs does have a page implying it's in compliance with DCMA and a form to contact them on it if you find something otherwise. They state: "If you are certain any content used in this “website” referring to “www.typhoonlabs.tv” and “service” referring to “TyphoonTV” contains any Content bearing invalid Copyrights or violates your License Policy. Please feel free to submit a take down request. With proper Identification and proof of ownership of the Copyright and screenshot of the particular said content by the help of the form here."

As for the YouTube videos on IPTV, no I haven't watched them, but on YouTube there is stuff that's 100% righteous and stuff that's 100% crap. ( YouTube is supposed to be entertainment not a platform for paralegal zealots. I really take what I see there with a grain of salt.)

Anyway, I was just pointing out what I stumbled across as a possible solution to those in the southern provinces (If you want to talk about legality :rolleyes: check into that!). I was trying to assist not push anyone into anything. I have not tried Typhoon, or any IPTV for that matter; and have no commercial or other interest in promoting the use of any site, service, etc. I'm just trying to help other forum members.

If I was interested, and in the southern provinces, I'd register for the free trial with an email address from Gmail, Hotmail, etc. so my regular email wouldn't collect any spam from doing so. If I found it lacking, I'd post it here as a caution to others. If I wanted to try it longer than 48 hours, I'd keep the duration short initially so few $ are at risk. But everyone is free to do what they want. I was just trying to help.

#2,539 ·
I don't know what laws you mean, our Congress doesn't force Cdn channels to buy US shows or prevent US channels from buying Cdn shows.

Cdn stations have contracts to show US shows in Canada and they would get sued if they let ppl see their channels in the US. If you had a US TV app you couldn't use it in Canada for the same reason. It isn't Congress its contracts.

I am happy that more Cdn shows are getting bought by US channels but you must know that ppl in Canada and lots of countries want to see US shows so of course your channels buy them.

#2,548 ·
The reason for the small G1 footprint is entirely benign. Shaw needed more bandwidth and was effectively restricted to two orbital locations. Their solution was to use frequencies below the typical North American Ku-band. At that time these frequencies were licensed in the US for terrestrial purposes. Thus G1 could only use those frequencies if it didn't interfere with the US licensees. Thus G1 was intentionally designed with a small footprint that kept power levels below the limit negotiated with the FCC.

#2,558 ·
Yes, The pending ( 😢 ) Rogers takeover won't have any impact on the footprint Shaw Direct has in the Southern Provinces. F2 is going to go off line this year as I understand. (Although no official timing has been released to my knowledge.) I know it sucks for Snowbirds, but the way regulations are, it's darn near impossible to get Canadian content in those regions.

#2,567 ·
Here's some useful info for the South.
See below for Shaw Broadcasts initial transition schedule for HEVC starting in July. A number of existing G1 signals will be light switched to HEVC. In addition a handful of signals (Mostly Super Ecran, Super Channel and Stingray channels) from F2 will migrate to G1 and convert to HEVC.

"Shaw Broadcast Services has received an update from Telesat regarding the current status of Anik F2’s technical issues... Please note that these estimates are based on information that is currently available. Predicted outages may begin earlier if there are changes to the issues impacting Anik F2."

Daily outages predicted to start Jan 1/25 with a 75cm antenna. (Large antenna, Northern Quebec and the Territories will start sooner)

Dual Feed from July 5 – July 14, 2023, Moving from F2 to G1 and converting to HEVC/AAC.

Daystar
La Chaine Disney
Super Ecran 3
Super Ecran 4
BC Leg
Starz 2 E
REV TV Canada
Stingray Country
Stingray Retro
Stingray Loud
Stingray Vibe
Ginx Esports

#2,568 ·
Here's some useful info for the South.

"Shaw Broadcast Services has received an update from Telesat regarding the current status of Anik F2’s technical issues... Please note that these estimates are based on information that is currently available. Predicted outages may begin earlier if there are changes to the issues impacting Anik F2."

Daily outages predicted to start Jan 1/25 with a 75cm antenna. (Large antenna, Northern Quebec and the Territories will start sooner)

Dual Feed from July 5 – July 14, 2023, Moving from F2 to G1 and converting to HEVC/AAC.

Daystar
La Chaine Disney
Super Ecran 3
Super Ecran 4
BC Leg
Starz 2 E
REV TV Canada
Stingray Country
Stingray Retro
Stingray Loud
Stingray Vibe
Ginx Esports
Are any channels already HEVC? That takes DSR600 series units out of the picture, correct? Love the Stingray music channels…