Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

BellTV Remote Control Discussions - Please read Post 1

493K views 672 replies 200 participants last post by  17671 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57. Please see posts 1, 27, 28 of this thread for basic instructions. If you need more, please read the operating manual for your STB since it also has instructions for the remote. If you still have issues, feel free to post here.

See also the following regarding UHF remotes:

BellTV Remote Control Discussions - Please read Post 1

Need to program remote for your TV ?
These usually work
1- press and hold top tv button till all 4 light light up
2- enter code from the table in the manual
3- press #

Remote will flash 3 times ....done

Popular codes
Sony 500
Sanyo 683
Samsung 516
Jvc 557
Citizen 720
Daewoo 719
Hitachi 585

Perform a device scan to test all codes:
All other tv's ( while tv is on )
1-Press and hold top tv button till all 4 light light up
2-Press (tap) the scroll up button repeatedly til tv shuts off and press one more time
3-Press (tap) the scroll down button one or twice slowly to get tv to go back on.
4- press the # button and remote will flash 3 times... done

Vcr is the same method.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think they are listed in the booklet...

You can always do a power scan...

Press TV light until all topight flashes... Press the POWER button, then the up arrow key until the TV shut off (it my take many press before it does it basically goes 500,201,502,503, ect.. If your code is 900 it might be long) then record

Reactions: DHBoogieman
#8 ·
9242 need programming code for Receiver

I just hooked up the 9242 and all looks and sounds great, except that I can't get my Remote 1 to learn any of the supplied codes for my Marantz receiver.

I've tried the following codes: 651, 740, 742, 743, 764

Also tried the procedure to scan the remote control's memory when the code is not listed under: SETTING UP USING DEVICE CODES SCAN in manual.

I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly using the AUX mode to program my amp, but remote is still not learning it. In the end, I want Remote 1 to be able to control master volume, so I don't have to use 2 remote controls (one for BEV programming, the other just for pwr/volume on amp). Sorry bout the thread length.

#11 ·
Hi,

On Bell's UHF remote, menu navigation for my DVD player (I can get in to the menu, but I can't move around in the menu) as well as skipping forward and backward a track do not work. I have tried other codes for the same manufacturer (Zenith) and they either don't work at all or have the same lack of functionality. Not really a big deal until I buy something like a TV series on DVD in which I have to use the menu navigation keys. Does anyone have any tips on fixing this?

#14 ·
Thanks 57 - does not apply to my situation though. PVR is in a cabinet, isolated on its own shelf with lots of ventalation and only a VCR turned on, two shelves down, in the vacinity... nearest TV is a Toshiba DLP which was off when we encountered the issue.

I will admit, if I position my IR blaster in the bedroom to just the right location below the JVC CRT tv in there, the blaster starts lighting up as if it is getting lots of signals from somewhere....

Maybe I'll make a new antenna from a length of RG6 or 59 and see if it is a reception thing.... which would indicate the uhf strength on these new remotes suck or the uhf reciever on the stb sucks.... hmmm considering other quality issues with the 9242, it could quite possibly be the latter.

#16 ·
Thank you for the heads up on the power scan. Will try it tonight!!

I'll have to do this. I have the 50" plasma but my remote doesn't control it. One of the only reasons why we're thinking of selling the tv and going back to our 46" Samsung which the remote does control....yah yah, stupid, but heck, it's annoying not to be able to ctrl the volume from the single remote :(.

#18 ·
I tried this four times so far. Each time within 40 presses the tv shuts off, I click record....but nothing. The code isn't successful.

I recall from other universal remotes that possibly many codes could be partially compatible but not fully hence it would need to cycle through? That was if you had say 5 codes for insignias, to try all 5. But my problem is that the first code it comes across isn't working. It turns off, but doesn't turn on.

Any ideas? By definition if the frequency turns the tv off...shouldn't it turn it back on? Any way I'm not doing the programming routine properly?

#24 ·
I recall from other universal remotes that possibly many codes could be partially compatible but not fully hence it would need to cycle through? That was if you had say 5 codes for insignias, to try all 5. But my problem is that the first code it comes across isn't working. It turns off, but doesn't turn on.
If you need to bypass a code, when the TV turns off, just turn it back on manually and then continue with the code scan :)

(I know you resolved it, but this is a reference for anyone else reading this in the future)

#21 ·
Bloody AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH. Well...I guess that settles it. We're keeping the Insiggy, and the Sammy is goin' up for sale. Any biters?

oh, fyi, it was only about 35 clicks to get to a functioning frequency :).

#27 ·
Threads merged and made into a "sticky". I've also made some edits to the first post and delete a few extraneous postings.

Note that soe of this information is specific to a particular revision of remote (indicated on the label)
Here is some info from the manual:

PROGRAMMING USING EQUIPMENT CODE TABLES
1 Turn the equipment on.
2 Find the brand name of the equipment in the tables in the manual.
3 Press and hold the mode button until all the other mode buttons light up, and then let go of the button. The mode button flashes.
4 For AUX mode only. Press 0 for a second TV, or 1 for a second VCR, or 2 for a tuner, or amplifier.
5 Enter one of the three-digit equipment codes from the table using the number buttons.
6 Press POUND (#). If you entered the code correctly (and it is recognised by the remote), the mode button flashes three times.
7 If you can’t find a code that works, try Scanning for Equipment Codes

SCANNING FOR EQUIPMENT CODES
1 Turn the equipment on.
2 Press and hold the mode button until all the other mode buttons light up, and then let go of the button. The mode button flashes. For example, hold TV for a TV until all of the other mode buttons light. When you let go, TV will flash.
3 For AUX mode only. Press 0 for a second TV, or 1 for a second VCR, or 2 for a tuner, or amplifier.
4 Press POWER. This puts your remote in the scan mode.
5 Press the UP or DOWN ARROW repeatedly until the equipment turns off. As you press the UP or DOWN ARROW, the remote tries each code in the memory to see if it can turn off your equipment. When the equipment turns off, you have found a code that might work.
6 Press POUND (#). The mode button flashes three times if you have entered the code correctly. This stores the code you found.
7 Turn the equipment back on and try some other buttons to make sure they work.

SWITCHING BETWEEN TV AND AMPLIFIER VOLUME CONTROL

Control Amplifier Volume
1 Press and hold the AUX mode button for three seconds, and then let go of it. The AUX mode button will blink.
2 Press the POUND (#) button.
3 Press the plus (+) side of the VOLUME button.
4 Press the 0 number button.
5 Press the POUND (#) button. The AUX mode button flashes three times.

Control TV Volume
1 Press and hold the TV mode button for three seconds, and then let go of it. The TV mode button will blink.
2 Press the POUND (#) button.
3 Press the plus (+) side of the VOLUME button.
4 Press the 0 number button.
5 Press the POUND (#) button. The TV mode button flashes three times.

READING OUT THE REMOTE CONTROL CODES (so you can write them down)
1 Press and hold the mode button for the equipment you want the remote to control. When all the other mode buttons light up, let go of the mode button - that mode button should now be flashing. For example, hold the TV mode button for a TV until all of the other mode buttons light. When you let go, the TV mode light will flash.
2 Press the POUND (#) button twice. The mode button flashes the number for each digit of the equipment code, with a pause between the groups of flashes. A quick flash is for zero.
For example, if the code is 570, the mode button flashes five times, pauses, flashes seven times, pauses, and flashes once quickly. For AUX mode, the first group of flashes tells you what the AUX mode controls. A quick flash (zero) before the three-digit code is for a TV; one regular flash is for a VCR or DVD player; and two flashes is for a tuner or amplifier.
For example, if the TV code is 570, the AUX mode button flashes once quickly, pauses, flashes five times, pauses, flashes seven times, pauses, and flashes once quickly.