Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

764K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#2,461 ·
According to Shaw Braodcast Services: "Sun transits occur when the sun crosses the Earth's equatorial plane during the spring and fall equinoxes - late February or early March and September or October. At these times, the sun aligns directly behind the satellites for a few minutes each day. The time of occurrence depends both on the geographic location of the Earth station and the location of the satellites. When the sun moves directly behind the satellite, the signal can be overwhelmed by the enormous amount of thermally generated radio frequency (RF) noise radiated by the sun. This can cause reception interference for a few minutes every day during this occurrence. Degradation of the signal may last for several minutes depending on the antenna size and available link margin, although it is not unusual for the effect to go unnoticed."

So you are well past it for this year. Must be another issue.

I hope this is helpful.

#2,476 ·
This subject came up in the Bell TV Forums.

I will repeat what was said there;

FYI

Re: Shaw

They don't marry the LNB to the receivers.

Instead, each receiver is programmed to accept one of the two different LNB's they use;

Dual Satellite Quad LNB (for Model 60E or Model 75E) or
Triple Satellite Quad xKu LNB (for Model 60E or Model 75E)

Shaw uses two different sized dishes, 60cm (model 60E) and 75cm. (Model 75E)

The Model 60E dish can use either the Dual LNB or Triple LNB's, but they MUST be marked Model 60E.

The Model 75E dish also use either the Dual LNB or Triple LNB, but they MUST be marked Model 75E.

For adequate signal, the 75cm dish must be used in the southern USA.

Also FYI, if a receiver is programmed for a Dual LNB, it will work with the 60cm and 75cm version of LNB.

If a receiver is programmed for the Triple LNB, it will work with the 60cm and 75cm version of LNB.

So, it is important to note that if you have a Model 60E dish in Toronto, and a Model 75E dish in Florida, your receiver will work in both locations, AS LONG AS both dishes have a Dual LNB, or a Triple LNB (not mixed).

Hope this helps.
I have a residence in the Southern states and one in Victoria. Can I use a permanent setup with a receiver in both locations and a 75E in the US and a 60E in BC? Will this cause any flags?

#2,482 ·
Following email from Shaw yesterday on maintenance outage, in the Southern states - PV area, when looking at the receiver this morning it showed we had no signal but when changing to stations we normally watch...all is good...maintenance must have changed receiver to a station not normally received??? All good

#2,484 ·
Looks like I've lost ALL channels on my 630. My 830 appears unaffected. We have an HDMI switch so we can set it for both TVs view the 830. Mildly annoying because sometimes we watch different things but better than nothing (so far). Too bad SD refused to trade both my 630s for 830s.

#2,499 · (Edited)
First I would unplug the power and wait at least 5 mins , after you plug the power back in give it an hour or so without doing anything, don’t turn it on or off just let it do it’s own thing lol.
I had a 630 come back from the dead doing it this way , usually you don’t have to Wait this long.
If it doesn’t come back You might have to do a factory reset and you would have to log into your account and request a receiver refresh.I imagine there would be a bit of a wait to get a refresh to go through as there is probably a lot of requests right now.

#2,500 ·
First I would unplug the power and wait at least 5 mins , after you plug the power back in give it an hour or so without doing anything, don’t turn it on or off just let it do it’s own thing lol.
I had a 630 come back from the dead doing it this way , usually you don’t have to Wait this long.
If it doesn’t come back You might have to do a factory reset , in which case you would lose all your PVR shows and would have to log into your account and request a receiver refresh.I imagine there would be a bit of a wait to get a refresh to go through as there is probably a lot of requests right now.
I've been trying to get back into SD web site and I'm getting access denied for this server. Hopefully this is just congestion at this rime.