Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers ignite question (Extend Cable/Internet 100')

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
So i am new here, a bit of incite to what im doing. I just had rogers ingnite installled in my house. i have a shop 100 ft away where i would like to get cable and interenet . The coaxil comes into house and goes to a modem, from there it is all cat5e cable or wireless. My desktop is wired but my 2 tv in house are wireless. All work fine. How can i get it from house to shop ? i have coax running to my shop right now. Ignite is all cat5 cable. i have tried a splitter in the caox and all works fine in my house but the coax to the shop need to get turned in cat 5 end so as i can plug into my ignite box. Can that be done from cable ? Or can i get a modem in my shop that recieves coax and has either outlets on it ? that way shop would have wired internet or do i need to run a cat5e cable ? i have 500 mbps service. Looking for some advice or help here.

#2 ·
If by "shop" you mean a workshop for personal use then I don't see any problem with that. If it's a business then Rogers would likely require a a separate subscription.

There are a couple of solutions available. One would be to use a pair of ethernet to coax adapters. These vary in price and quality from cheap knockoffs to relatively expensive commercial models. I would be looking for one from a well known maker that is capable of at least 500Mbps, preferably 1Gbps. I see a number of these on Amazon so they are readily available. Beware of cheap adapters that only support 10Mbps or 100 Mbps.

Another option would be to use a pair of wifi routers with external directional antennas to create a wireless link. Since the coax exists and, I assume, in good condition the first option may be better. Either way, it's going to cost several hundred dollars for a decent quality 1Gbps or 500Mps setup.

If slower speeds are acceptable, look at the TRENDnet Mid-Band Coaxial Network Adapter, TPA-311. It's priced reasonably, rated at 256Mbps and gets good reviews.

#3 ·
At this point I think im looking at running a cat5e cable underground in some conduit and setting up another router so I can have tv access via cat5 and aslo availability to plug in laptop as needed. Im not so sure the coax connectors are best option as this line will need to be buried slightly. I tried a extender from my house for wifi before, shop is steel and didn't work. So with that said, I will probly just bury the cat 5 and cable in some 1 inch conduit and run to shop and mount in the wall so both options are available down the road if things change.

#4 ·
...But the phone modem/router is in the home. How do you get the phone signals to the shop? Ignite is different from the old digital cable. You'll need another box at the shop for cable TV which you can probably do as discussed above. As for phone, I don't know how to "extend" a phone line. You should have brought this up with the installer when he was there since they are responsible for making everything work at your home. You may need another phone modem/router. Ignite is not very "user friendly" in the same way that digital cable was.

#5 ·
I plan on running from modem in house, using a cat5e/ ethernet cable to shop. That will allow my to plug my box in for cable in shop. Otherwise I will mount a wall plate on wall where I can put another router,modem type unit that I can plug multiple things in. As for a phone, she can answer it in the house. I am really just after internet and cable. Ignite can be wired or wireless, but my shop is 100+ ft away wireless is not an option.

#7 ·
Ethernet cable is probably the most reliable and cheapest method provided the labour is free, as in DIY. I wouldn't cheap out on the cable. CAT5E or CAT6 should be good for 1Mbps but I would make sure the jacket is water resistant or rated for direct burial. I would go for a slightly larger pipe as well, especially if other cables are being run. It makes a big difference when pulling the cables which can be damaged by too much drag. Black direct burial plumbing pipe is the best option, is relatively cheap and can be purchased in big rolls so there are no connections to deal with.

There are a number of options for long distance wireless connections. The best method is to use and antenna or modem on each ends that is designed to mount outside. High gain directional antennas pointed at each other can make a good wifi link at well over 100 feet. The record is over 20 miles.

#8 ·
If you don’t need phone in the shop then a CAT 6 cable and a router in the shop. An extra “ set top” box from Rogers into one router port for tv and another port used for the pc. Would do it. For 100 ft can’t you run a catenary cable roof to roof with the Ethernet cable tied to that. Shouldn’t even need a router, a 1Gbs switch should do it,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Hi,

So if I have this right, you have phone, cable and internet in your home. You want to extend those services to your workshop 100' away?
Well, for internet you could get and run outdoor rated CAT5e cable between your home and shop. Actually, if you're going to bury it, you may as well future proof yourself and get CAT6. I'm of the mindset that if I'm going to do some digging, I don't want to come back in a few years and pull a new wire because I got some new fangled top speed internet that the old cable can't support. It's only about $10 difference between the two I've linked below anyways.

For TV, you could again run some RG6 coax from your house out to your shop, be mindful that you may suffer from some signal loss in doing so, and if that happens you'll need to add an amplifier to your coax line to your STB in your shop. I forgot how much the signal degrades per 100' but those figures can be Googled easily.

Home phone has me a little stumped, I don't know how much signal loss can occur, but what I've seen, outdoor RJ11 (phone cable) is pretty pricey. You could save money if you ran both CAT6 and phone cable in buried tube, you'd just have to ensure no moisture got in the tube.

Found some prices on amazon for outdoor cabling:
500' outdoor CAT5e
500' outdoor CAT6

#11 ·
Home phone has me a little stumped, I don't know how much signal loss can occur, but what I've seen, outdoor RJ11 (phone cable) is pretty pricey.
You'd run just plain CAT3/5/6 cable and it will work fine. The phone cable run throughout buildings, including those 50 floor office buildings is just CAT3. Since he's already running CAT5 or 6, an extra run for the phone is a no brainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.