Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Official 2019 F1 Discussion Thread

15K views 94 replies 16 participants last post by  753951 
#1 ·
I'm starting the 2019 F1 thread since the 2018 season is over. Anyone wishing to discuss what happened in 2018 may use the 2018 thread. I'll close that thread soon, but leave it open for now.

I'll leave space below for useful links, tips, etc.

#3 ·
The F1TV live streaming will not be in Canada next year (2019 season).

I was in the U.S. in the summer for a few weekends and watched a couple races with a monthly pass - it was OK, but the audio channel for the commentary would cut out occasionally (you could still hear the race, so it wasn't a full audio issue).

For Americans, the coverage on ESPN was great after the first few races - even on ABC it was commercial free. At least TSN carries the pre/post race coverage now.

I'm sure F1TV will be much better when we finally can get it in 2020 - I'll be signing up as well.

#5 ·
I'm amazed (but not really) that MW has been the way for tobacco to return to F1.

Looking forward to seeing how Lance does with a better car.

Looking forward to seeing if Seb's new teammate will play nice more than Kimi did... but Ferarri's strategy is still lagging behind Merc.

Hopeful that Ricciardo can get Renault competitive quickly.

Hopeful that Kubrica's return isn't embarrassing.

#6 ·
I'm wondering how Philip Morris will translate Mission Winnow into tobacco sales...but I guess with all F1 sponsors, I was curious to know what it was when it was added to the Ferrari livery this year and looked up their social media.

For 2019, I'm also looking forward to see how Lance does, how far Charles pushes Seb, and I'm actually curious to see how Daniel and Nico stack up against each other at Renault.

The other things I'm looking forward to are Honda engines in a Red Bull, if the new regulations do anything to the current pecking order, if Valteri is retained by Mercedes all season (would they bring in Ocon?), Kimi at Sauber, and if Williams/McLaren improve.

SKY is adding Jenson Button this year as a pundit - they could lose a few of the useless guys like Rosberg, Hill, and I wouldn't miss Davidson and DiResta if they were to disappear. Too bad they couldn't bring in the CH4 team for the race - prefer Ben and David to Crofty and the rotating chair at SKY.

#8 ·
F1 and AWS are looking at some new graphics for 2019. You can see and rate the options here. There's a video showing each one overlaid on some race footage from the 2018 season to show how it works.

My favorite is the car performance one, because it's showing a lot of information that impacts performance (tire and brake temps) that isn't really available anywhere to fans right now.

If the overtake one works in live realtime as well as it does in this example, that would be really something.

Even if they wind up not using all of them, it's great to see Liberty pushing to try out new things like this.

#9 ·
I like the new graphics - especially the tire one.

I'm surprised it took this long to have that type of tire wear information - it reminds me of the tire wear on my Commodore 64 versions of Pitstop II.

Once graphic that I would like to see is how stressed/calm the drivers are.

#10 ·
F1 Testing: Live coverage on Sky F1 (UK)

Sky F1 to broadcast 20 hours of live coverage from first winter test

[...]

For our UK-based audience, coverage will commence on every day of the test at 1pm

[...]

coverage will continue long after the cars have stopped running with an hour-long review show, Welcome to F1 2019, which will include analysis and reaction from the day, until 6pm.
Will it be available on F1 TV for both Pro and Access users ?
Could it be available on TSN.ca/app (TSN Direct) ?

Let's hope at least one of the answers is Yes.

#15 ·
#11 ·
I know in previous years the Craig Slater testing highlights were available without Geo-Blocking on Sky's website (about a 10 minute segment). Last year Will Buxton had some reports on F1's YouTube channel and some interviews (which were really good).

For the longer Ted Kravitz report (about 30 minutes a day) was geo-blocked last year on Sky, but available previous years.

I've never been able to get the full day testing broadcast. Hopefully F1 TV may have it this year.

#14 ·
EXCLUSIVE: Michael Schumacher - The Making of a Legend now available on F1 TV

A new [50-minute] documentary, created by F1 and available exclusively to F1 TV subscribers, tells the story of the German’s rise to the very top of the sport, with friends, rivals and former colleagues all offering their views on how Schumacher grew to become the most successful F1 driver of all time.

Mixing ultra-rare footage of the young Michael Schumacher with eye-popping archive material of his Formula 1 career, Michael Schumacher: The Making of a Legend charts the 91-time Grand Prix winner’s spectacular rise all the way from the kart track his father Rolf worked at in Kerpen to his final F1 season in 2012, via sportscar racing with Mercedes, his much-vaunted Formula 1 debut with Jordan in 1991, his seven world championships with Benetton and Ferrari and his fierce on track battles with the likes of Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Damon Hill.

With a stellar cast of interviewees, including F1 motorsport boss Ross Brawn, Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm and F1 racers including Martin Brundle, Fernando Alonso and David Coulthard, this is a must-watch for F1 fans looking to get the full story of the man who towered over Formula 1 for nearly two decades.
Obviously, an F1 TV Access subscription is enough to watch it.

AFAIK, this is only the second time that original content is made for F1 TV.
The first one was Eddie Jordan and Damon Hill discussing the 1998 Belgian GP.

#19 ·
Just watched the Racing . (seems how they want to spell Racing Point) launch in Toronto. If I was in the area, would have been a neat event to go to.

Enjoyed Otmar the best - especially living in a Canadian border town run over with 19 and 20 year old American drunken kids in the summer!

#20 ·
Yeah that was pretty fun to watch. I'm eager to see how they do this year. Perez is a good driver and the car should be competitive, will be fun to see how Stroll stacks up.

Livery wise, Red Bull has been the disappointment so far, although that's a one off and they'll have something else for racing.

#21 ·
The only livery I don't like is Williams so far - I think they would have been better to go more white and less blue. The title sponsors logo is black, red, and white - so white would have been a good point of difference when compared to Alfa/Ferrari (guessing Alfa will be red - but liked the burgundy colour on the filming day car) and the black that Haas is using this year. I just think the Williams looks too generic and not unique. Everyone else seems to have "claimed" a colour.

I'm not sure why Haas abandoned the grey scheme - I liked it better than them stealing the old Lotus look.

Curious to see what Red Bull does - assume it will be similar to the last few seasons.

#24 ·
Too bad there isn't a legal option in Canada...F1TV has a nice schedule also that we can't watch. 4-5 hours a day:

https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/current-season/pre-season-testing-2019

Just got to wait until the Bell/TSN contract runs out.

If you are in the U.S., you get the full schedule. Subscribed to F1TV for a few races when travelling in the U.S. last summer and it was worthwhile to me when I wasn't sure I would get ESPN.

#25 ·
4-5 hours a day, it's what TV partners are allowed to broadcast:
Sky Italia will have 4h/day;
Sky UK will have 5h/day.

On F1 TV, it's going to be 9 hours of coverage per day (the 8h/day when the track is open + a daily 1-hour review show).

From my understanding of how F1 TV works, we - viewers in Canada - will not be able to watch it live, but everything should be available one week later. It's better than never, like in the UK.

Also, for the moment, it's only the first 4-day test that have confirmed coverage. Nothing has been announced about the second 4-day test (not impossible that less coverage will be available).

#26 ·
Canadian Nicholas Latifi had 2 half-days of testing scheduled this week with Williams, but due to the team's absence today and tomorrow, Latifi will not take the wheel of the FW42 this week.

Latifi must get 1 day of winter testing according to his deal with Williams. So, he should be in the car next week.

#27 ·
TSN couldn't broadcast it because if they did they couldn't show the same Sportscenter on four channels simultaneously for ten hours a day. :p

Williams is in deep trouble here. They're effectively three days behind (no filming day shakedown either). I bet they wish they could cut Latifi's time entirely rather than having to take it from their primary drivers. Losing this much track time isn't a great way for a set of F1 rookies to start the season on top of the engineering woes.

It's just sad. The glory days are long gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.