Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

800 Series Discussions

138K views 419 replies 74 participants last post by  P2B 
#1 ·
Yesterday I phoned a tech at SD to get the time changed back as we have NO daylight savings time in our area. I complained having to do this every 6 months and couldn't they set something up? He said the 800 series receivers are in the works and they will be able to set our time zone and if we have DST or not. I asked him "You said 800 series and not 700 series", he said they are bypassing the 700 and are working on the 800 series.
If I needed more info he could patch me through to customer relations or something like that but it was Sunday, I could phone back today(monday).
Does that mean we have to wait longer for a newer receiver, or just a stall tactic.

#321 ·
I'd like to thank k80 for providing great information and listening to our suggestions. As a user of both a 630 and 830, I have several:
1. I would like to see some kind of a notice pop up when I create more than 2 timers in a time slot causing a conflict. The lack of this was one of the unforeseen changes that I encountered when switching from Bell. I missed several recordings before I realized what was happening and even then sometimes forgot to check Upcoming Recordings after creating a new timer, or when checking there didn't realize that the default "hide conflicts" was in effect (why is that the default? That is what I go there to see.)

2. As mentioned in this thread and I have complained both verbally and in writing to Shaw D, the fast forward function on the 830 is clunky and primitive, being very jerky because it does not show enough frames/second, particularly in the slowest FF. Also, while the first level of FF is too slow to be of much use, the second level is too fast to allow one to react in time to go to normal speed. I usually need to skip back once or twice to get where I want to be. This function definitely needs some improvement! (IMO) I would like to see the first level to be about 4 - 5 times the speed and the second level to be around 15 times normal speed. Instead it jumps from 2 times to about 30 times. The third level I never use as it is way too fast to even see where the playback is and it is much simpler to use the X minutes skip forward, which by the way, is a great feature in the Shaw D receivers. The first level of FF is much better on the 630 both in speed and smoothness, although again, the second level is too fast.

3. It is great to have the option of a full screen guide. I would like to have the option of doing away with the small screen in the upper right corner and the sound in other screens, particularly the PVR screen. It is most annoying to have a playback stop and suddenly see and/or hear the winner or a late score of a sporting event that I am recording for later enjoyment.

4. I would like to be able to edit the title of a recording. I would use this when I have made a manual recording that I am not going to watch right away so when I see it in the PVR list, I know what it is. I would also use it to add something to multiple recordings of the same program that have just a generic description for all episodes so that I can distinguish them. This one is just on a wish list although I did have it with Bell.

I would just like to add that overall I am very happy with both the 830 and the way the 630 is now operating with the improvements that have been made since its introduction (Thank you Shaw D). I particularly like the ability to change the skip time and the X minutes skipping which I did not have with Bell. The one button 15 minute skip is useful too.

#325 ·
I'd like to thank k80 for providing great information and listening to our suggestions. As a user of both a 630 and 830, I have several:
1. I would like to see some kind of a notice pop up when I create more than 2 timers in a time slot causing a conflict. The lack of this was one of the unforeseen changes that I encountered when switching from Bell. I missed several recordings before I realized what was happening and even then sometimes forgot to check Upcoming Recordings after creating a new timer, or when checking there didn't realize that the default "hide conflicts" was in effect (why is that the default? That is what I go there to see.)

2. As mentioned in this thread and I have complained both verbally and in writing to Shaw D, the fast forward function on the 830 is clunky and primitive, being very jerky because it does not show enough frames/second, particularly in the slowest FF. Also, while the first level of FF is too slow to be of much use, the second level is too fast to allow one to react in time to go to normal speed. I usually need to skip back once or twice to get where I want to be. This function definitely needs some improvement! (IMO) I would like to see the first level to be about 4 - 5 times the speed and the second level to be around 15 times normal speed. Instead it jumps from 2 times to about 30 times. The third level I never use as it is way too fast to even see where the playback is and it is much simpler to use the X minutes skip forward, which by the way, is a great feature in the Shaw D receivers. The first level of FF is much better on the 630 both in speed and smoothness, although again, the second level is too fast.

3. It is great to have the option of a full screen guide. I would like to have the option of doing away with the small screen in the upper right corner and the sound in other screens, particularly the PVR screen. It is most annoying to have a playback stop and suddenly see and/or hear the winner or a late score of a sporting event that I am recording for later enjoyment.

4. I would like to be able to edit the title of a recording. I would use this when I have made a manual recording that I am not going to watch right away so when I see it in the PVR list, I know what it is. I would also use it to add something to multiple recordings of the same program that have just a generic description for all episodes so that I can distinguish them. This one is just on a wish list although I did have it with Bell.

I would just like to add that overall I am very happy with both the 830 and the way the 630 is now operating with the improvements that have been made since its introduction (Thank you Shaw D). I particularly like the ability to change the skip time and the X minutes skipping which I did not have with Bell. The one button 15 minute skip is useful too.
May I ask what you mean by the 630 operating with the improvements?
I just received the 830 to replace my 630 which I unstood that I had no choice!
I do not like anything about the new 830 . No, clock, no recording indicator, the push on the PPV,s, the D for VODs. I find nothing to benifit my Shaw experience.
Am I mistaken in my understanding that the 630 will no longer work in the near future? I still have it as I was going to recycle it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#322 ·
Quick question:

Is there a button on the remote control that you can press to instantly rejoin a live tv broadcast if you are watching a live tv program on delayed basis?

For example:
Say I was watching the Price Is Right (live tv) and I hit rewind to rewatch a segment I missed cause I was out of the room. After I am done watching that segment, is there a button on the remote I can press which would allow me to instantly resume the live broadcast of the show?

Other set top box remotes would have a button you could press like- live tv/resume that would allow you rejoin the show live. I haven't been able to find anything like that on the Shaw Direct remote. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#323 ·
Quick question:

Is there a button on the remote control that you can press to instantly rejoin a live tv broadcast if you are watching a live tv program on delayed basis?

For example:
Say I was watching the Price Is Right (live tv) and I hit rewind to rewatch a segment I missed cause I was out of the room. After I am done watching that segment, is there a button on the remote I can press which would allow me to instantly resume the live broadcast of the show?

Other set top box remotes would have a button you could press like- live tv/resume that would allow you rejoin the show live. I haven't been able to find anything like that on the Shaw Direct remote. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I have a 630 and when I want to resume live watching, I hit the stop button.

#329 ·
Thank you for your response. The end results that I would like is to have the time displayed and an indication if something is recording. Having to check that something is recording as scheduled is a hasel and after so many years with both indicators on my 630, I do not understand why Shaw bought these new 830,s
Just to save a couple of pennies and made by Bell associates!

#330 ·
The design of the 830s is most likely a cost cutting measure. Similar boxes from other companies sell for up to twice the price. For example, Bell sells refurbished PVRs for $500. I always check the guide or recording schedule to see if a timer is working properly. The clock is easy to replace with an external device. I look at a wall clock, some other device with a time display or my phone which shows the time on the lock screen when picked up.

#331 ·
You can see if your tuners are engaged with recordings if you just press ENTER on a live channel. You'll see two recording symbols on the left side of where the time is listed, the one in the front represents tuner 1, the symbol behind represents tuner 2. They'll turn red when recording or they'll be grey when not. That's the easiest way to tell what's going on quickly.

You can see what I mean on the first screenshot you see on page 36 of the user manual here (the Young and the Restless shot under the "6. Controlling Live TV with Live-off-Disk (LOD) header") -

https://assets.aws.shawdirect.ca/up...ipment/2014-08-01-userguide-hdguide-en-v4.pdf

In this screenshot, tuner 1 is not recording, while tuner 2 is.

#335 ·
You can see if your tuners are engaged with recordings if you just press ENTER on a live channel. You'll see two recording symbols on the left side of where the time is listed, the one in the front represents tuner 1, the symbol behind represents tuner 2. They'll turn red when recording or they'll be grey when not. That's the easiest way to tell what's going on quickly.

You can see what I mean on the first screenshot you see on page 36 of the user manual here (the Young and the Restless shot under the "6. Controlling Live TV with Live-off-Disk (LOD) header") -

https://assets.aws.shawdirect.ca/up...ipment/2014-08-01-userguide-hdguide-en-v4.pdf

In this screenshot, tuner 1 is not recording, while tuner 2 is.
Hi. Do you know if the composite AND HDMI outputs of the 800 series units work simultaneously, as they do on the 605 and 630 series units? Also, do you know what version of HDMI they use, 2.1, 2.2? Thanks again - PS: Stingray Music video channel listings are still correct! Yippee!

#332 · (Edited)
Has anyone connected an HDMI to Component box to the output of a 800 series box (800 or 830)?
And if so, any problems with HDCP?
If I'm going to adopt the 800 series of boxes, this is something I need to work. Any idea what format of HDMI these boxes are outputting (2.1, 2.2), based on their age, hardware and firmware?
Thanks

#350 ·
Hello,
Problem: I received a new Sat. Box (Shaw/ARRIS HDDSR 800) that has COAX In and only HDMI out versus the previous St. Box that had HDMI and COAX output to TV.
Solution I’m Seeking: I need to output both HDMI and TV Coax output as the prev. Sat Box enabled me to do. Currently the HDMI out from Sat. Box is connected to my main TV which is what I want but I want to send the Sat. Output via COAX as I could do before the new Sat box to my upstairs TV.
Why: I have an existing upstairs COAX run and used to send the output from old Sat Box upstairs which I could view on Channel3 using a Terk IR Blaster. My wife needs this as she cannot use the Ignite/BlueCurve TV App via Amazon Fire Stick.
How can I do this? I have researched for Hours and need help please.
Thanks
Nick

#360 · (Edited)
Anyone notice a firmware update sometime around Oct 20? For some reason, my 800 started outputting stereo instead of 5.1 from the HDMI output around that date. I didnt change the setting, but instead noticed the sound on recordings made on my SageTV dvr were a little flat. Sure enough, everything recorded since Oct 20 had been two channel stereo.
Also, all my audio settings in the setup menu page had reset, and it happened on BOTH my DSR800's. TV size, SD aspect, HDMI audio and audio compression had all changed from the settings I input manually.
Any chance there's been a Dolby conversion from 5.1 to Atmos, etc.?

UPDATE: figured it out. Rogers has made a change to HDCP implementation. I had a HDMI splitter feeding my Yamaha receiver and my SageTV DVR (from the DSR800 output). That still works, but Dolby 5.1 isn't passing through anymore for some reason. If anyone else uses a HDMI splitter, please let me know your results. It's easy to see, as your audio receiver will show three channel surround as opposed to 5.1 if you're in the correct mode.

bugger

#361 ·
Digital Dolby 5.1 is the ATSC standard so it's unlikely that would happen. The more likely scenario is that audio has been downgraded by the box, the TV provider or the broadcaster. I've often see DD2.0 output for one of these reasons. Most boxes are capable of downgrading audio to PCM which could be done for compatibility reasons. The settings reset was probably caused by the update due to a technical change or another reason. I would change them back to the desired values.

#363 ·
Which box are you talking about, the DSR800? I've already reset all my settings, but no go - there is still proper, 5.1 coming out of the 800, but the little one-in, two-out HDMI splitter isn't sending 5.1 audio from the two, HDMI outputs anymore. That's a stupid box that's three years old, and isn't hooked up to anything but what feeds it. So, somehow, Rogers changed the was 5.1 flows from the HDMI output. Not sure how, but I can't get anything but two channel, AAC from the HDMI streams anymore. And it's on every single channel, so it's some kind of HDCP thing. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears - stereo ears that is...

#367 ·
Which box are you talking about, the DSR800? I've already reset all my settings, but no go - there is still proper, 5.1 coming out of the 800, but the little one-in, two-out HDMI splitter isn't sending 5.1 audio from the two, HDMI outputs anymore. That's a stupid box that's three years old, and isn't hooked up to anything but what feeds it. So, somehow, Rogers changed the was 5.1 flows from the HDMI output. Not sure how, but I can't get anything but two channel, AAC from the HDMI streams anymore. And it's on every single channel, so it's some kind of HDCP thing. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears - stereo ears that is...
That could be a HDCP "thing." It appears that Rogers stopped sending DD5.1 from some of their other boxes that have digital audio outputs some time ago. One tactic that studios have used for a long time is downgrading DD5.1 to DD2.0 on sources or device outputs they consider to be non-compliant or insecure. It's possible that Roger updated their firmware to detect non-compliant devices. What else is on the HDMI splitter and what happens when it is disconnected or the outputs are switched?
UPDATE again. lol. After resetting both the DSR800 and my Sage DVR several times, it would seem the DSR800 got stuck on the HDMI Audio setting: it didn't matter what setting you picked, it just kept outputting stereo. Then I changed the SD Audio setting to 'stereo' from 'surround', went back and changed the HDMI setting to 'pass through', and BOOM - 5.1 came back.
Obviously, whatever update they pushed on Oct. 20, it was buggy as hell...

#370 ·
Obviously, whatever update they pushed on Oct. 20, it was buggy as hell...
Hi. Sorry to jump in here like this, if there is somewhere else I should post, or this issue is addressed elsewhere, let me know.

In the last while, the analog audio outs on our 800 receivers have become almost unusable.
It's possible the dates line up with this update, I can't think of any other explanation.
They were fine until recently, now the variation in volume levels from channel to channel is ridiculous. Like on adjacent channels with the same program (CTV for example), one will be normal volume like before, yet the channel beside it will be blasting loud to the point of overload of the audio system.
I checked levels when using HDMI cable with TV and everything is fine that way.
But we have been running headphones off the audio outs for years no problem. Now all of a sudden this change.
As I can't find anyone else having complained about this, I can only assume we are the last humans using analog audio out from the HD receiver. :D

Appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

#368 ·
Good to see the issue is solved. It's possible the HEVC/AAC conversion could cause issues with some devices but I would expect the 800 would convert that to AC3 if the connected device cannot handle AAC. It also wouldn't affect all channels yet as some are still MPEG4/AC3.

Soft resets are my first option when devices don't seem to be working properly. Resetting all devices by unplugging them, waiting 30 seconds and plugging back in usually works. Using a master switch on a power bar resets everything easily.

#371 ·
@ogn : Check the audio settings in the box. Many of them do not affect the digital outputs, but can affect analogue ones. It's typically best to have the settings as "fixed" for the audio output and "narrow" to eliminate severe audio level discrepancies. I don't have SD, so the settings may be different for your box, but that may be a place to start.

If you can't find a solution, you may need to use one of the digital audio output options for a different set of headphones, depending.

#372 ·
@ogn : Check the audio settings in the box. Many of them do not affect the digital outputs, but can affect analogue ones.
I've tried every setting related to audio or HDMI audio. Basically all you can change are the compression levels and HDMI audio sources. None of them help the problem. Setting compression to 'heavy' brings the quiet channels up to near the level of the 'too loud' ones, but those still overload the audio system inputs (giving distortion).
I won't be buying any hardware to try to solve a problem that has been recently introduced by Shaw Direct. As mentioned earlier, both our boxes have the same issue, so it's not a problem at our end.
The problem is the brick wall of trying to get someone in support to understand what the problem is. "Have you tried another power cable" is logically not a possible solution.