Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

YouTube Music and YouTube Premium Launch in Canada

7K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
Starting today, YouTube Music is available to everyone in Canada. YouTube Music is a new music streaming service built on top of all the music on YouTube that you can't find anywhere else - personalized & all simply organized in one place.

YouTube Music Premium - $9.99 per month
Ad-free music
Listen in the background
Downloads

YouTube Premium - $11.99 per month
Includes the above
Ad-free video
Play in the background
Downloads
All YouTube Originals

Here's how it all comes together:
  1. It's ALL here. Not just music videos, but official albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers and hard-to-find music you can only get on YouTube.
  2. Recommendations built for you.
  3. Thousands of playlists across any genre, mood or activity.
  4. Smart search so we'll find the song, even if you can't remember what it's called.
  5. The hottest videos.
  6. Ad-free listening, downloads and more.
For a limited time, get three months free of YouTube Music Premium ($9.99 per month after, $14.99 per month for a Family Plan)*.

Current Google Play Music subscribers in Canada will automatically receive access to YouTube Music Premium at their current price as it becomes available there. Nothing is changing with Google Play Music - you'll still be able to access all of your purchased music, uploads and playlists in Google Play Music just like always.

YouTube Premium also launches today
Starting today, YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red) will also be available in Canada, providing members with the benefits of Music Premium, plus ad-free, background, and downloads across all of YouTube. YouTube Premium members also get access to the full slate of YouTube Originals shows and movies including the hit series Cobra Kai, Impulse, F2 Finding Football and The Sidemen Show. For a limited time, get three months free of YouTube Premium ($11.99 per month after, $17.99 per month for a Family Plan)*.

*Price may be higher in the iOS App Store.

YouTube Canada News Release

Links
www.youtube.com/premium
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.youtube.music&hl=en_US
itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube-music/id1017492454?mt=8
music.youtube.com

See less See more
#2 ·
I assume that downloads will only apply to PC/computers? I watch YouTube almost exclusively on my 4k LG app, xbox one app (to the the LG), and occasionally on my iPad. And even on my supposed 1Gbit Rogers cable I can never stream 4k videos from Youtube on the LG via either method. I also don't get commercials. I wonder what the breakdown of devices to % videos streamed is?

#3 ·
@Joxer I think the download feature is mainly intended for mobile devices that are frequently out of range of Wi-Fi. The Android app on my tablet has the download option as explained in the Download Help, but I didn't see a download option when accessing YouTube through the browser on my PC.

I had to agree to get YouTube Premium before I could actually download the video (which I didn't.)

#4 ·
They tarnished the original intended purpose of YouTube and turned it into a music streaming site to compete with the rest of the streaming sites possibly to increase revenue. I don't blame them cuz good things never last it was doomed to happen eventually.

They should have launched a new site under a new name for the streaming services and left YouTube alone for consumers to upload videos of themself having a picnic or what not. As much as I disagree with these changes no body cares cuz it's all about making money for the big 3 companies in the long run so our views will be ignored.

#5 ·
YouTube users basically turned YouTube into a music streaming site by uploading videos. If I can't find a song on my paid music service, I just look on YouTube and a video is usually available. The music industry wants royalties for all those videos so a paid music service is the next logical step.

#8 ·
Yes I am aware of that. I have a wife and she plays videos over and over on youtube all the time, you should see her cell phone data bill. She is using youtube to stream her song to her phone but because its a video site it streams unnecessary video information too, but she does not care about the video , nor do all her friends, she just wants the audio but because of that extra data usage from streaming the videos her data has trippled, but her sister who uses a music streaming only site like spotify or what not, streams the same song, but uses a whole lot less data because the lack of video. So yes I get it that people do that to circumvent it, but in the end, they are paying the cost of it in their data consumption. I see why youtube did this and I get why they did it I already stated that.

#9 ·
I think they're just adding confusion with the overlap between Google Play Music and YouTube Music Premium. I have the former and hence implicitly the later. But why would I use one vs the other. After all, almost every track in Google Play Music now has a YouTube logo and link in the centre of the cover art.

I guess it's just a transition period and they'll eventually retire Google Play Music.

#10 ·
I actually like google play music. I actually still BUY my songs on there and yes I am still one of the people who "BUY" songs instead of stream them over and over. I do a lot of things where constant cellular and data connectivity is not always possible and owning my favourite songs and having them on all my devices is a big benefit to me. When I travel to the states I prefer NOT to use my data and want to listen to my music offline. Plus no body tells you this but my friend learned this the hard way, some songs he likes on youtube music actually got pulled off so yeah he cant listen to his favourite songs no more he has to listen to the rest of his playlists without some of his favourite songs, when you own a song its there FOREVER it will never get pulled even if the artist commits a hanus crime and shoots people or does a mass killing

#11 ·
Don't Google Play Music and YouTube Music Premium allow downloading songs, albums and playlists for offline playback? The music service I use does. It also plays back cached songs offline whether I manually downloaded them or not. I never buy songs from a music service. I've seen too many of them go out of business and make even purchased music unplayable. If it's not DRM free and playable with any music player, I don't buy it.

#14 ·
You have the option to download playlists for offline listening (and can specify the quality). Not individual songs -> you have to add them to a playlist to download.

But I think what Paolo meant at the end was that if the song is pulled from the service's catalog then it will automatically disappear from both the playlist and the download.

Also there's an old library uploader for Google Play Music so you can buy from anywhere else (i.e. iTunes) and if it's DRM free, download from that provider and then upload to your GPM library.

#15 ·
Those are nice features. I've seen songs, albums and artists disappear from a music service and there are a lot of gaps in most services, especially in Canada. I own quite a few songs and artists on CD that are not on music services. I've seen 3 or 4 music services disappear in the past 15 years due to withdrawing from the Canadian market, being bought out by a company that doesn't serve Canada or shutting down. Some of the scenarios were so convoluted it's difficult to make an accurate count.

I've considered uploading music to services but not sure how they would treat CDs. The music industry seems to think that ripping music from CDs is illegal even if I own them. There is also a time issue. It took months to rip the music from owned CDs and if I have to insert all the CDs into a computer to upload them it would take months more. Then what happens if I change music services? I'm certainly not buying them again, especially if they are MP3s. All my music is in lossless format from CD. At $1 a song it would cost well over $10,000.

#17 ·
According to Google, Google Play Music will be phased out once all of its features are available on YouTube Music. So it'll be folded into YouTube Music.

I've considered uploading music to services but not sure how they would treat CDs. The music industry seems to think that ripping music from CDs is illegal even if I own them. There is also a time issue. It took months to rip the music from owned CDs and if I have to insert all the CDs into a computer to upload them it would take months more. Then what happens if I change music services?
GPM has a batch uploader tool. You install it, point it to your music files, and it uploads them to the service. If it recognizes them, it will auto-fill album art and metadata, otherwise you can do it yourself. If you change music services, you presumably do that again.

#16 ·
I can see services like Tidal disappearing in a few years, but I don't think Google Play Music is going anywhere, I have accumulated a lot of music thru formats like Cassette, Vinal and Compact Disc. I like the fact that Google Play allows me to upload my music to the cloud and syncs it to my devices. Yes I have to manually rip my CD's but most PC's have built in software to rip CDs into mp3's (WMP: windows media player) Either way Digital is here to stay. if one service shuts down, they should atleast give you the option of downloading your purchased songs to mp3 files and you can download them to your C:\> drive or you should be able to import them to Apple's I Tunes library but ya you wont have the benefits of having them on the cloud on the compettion, this is a google only thing which is great

#18 ·
I see how it is. Google in the past has done it so when you open an app, it forces you to update to the newest version to continue using the app, so they may "Force" you to update it to Yahoo Music and it will still retain all your music and such. They did that with google play news

#20 ·
YouTube to Make All New Original Series and Specials Free with Ads

YouTube today announced that all of its forthcoming original series and specials will soon be available for fans around the world to watch for free with ads- just like they enjoy everything else on the platform. In addition, YouTube unveiled a new and returning slate of original series and specials focused on music, learning and personalities that will all be free with ads, including seasons 1 and 2 of "Cobra Kai" beginning this fall.

FREE AD-SUPPORTED PREMIERE DATES:

Cobra Kai (Seasons 1 and 2)

On September 11th, YouTube will make the second season of "Cobra Kai" available to all users globally for free, in an ad supported environment. Fans will be able to tune-in weekly for a new episode of the hit show. And for two weeks - from August 29th to September 11th - fans can also catch up on all of Cobra Kai Season 1 for free.

YouTube will announce additional free ad-supported premiere dates for more hits including "Impulse," "and "Liza On Demand" at a later date.

See the press release for new and returning series premiere dates.

#21 ·
YouTube Heats up Summer Programming with Full Slate of Free Series and Specials

Following YouTube's huge Brandcast presentation and news that all of its YouTube Originals will be free, YouTube Originals kicks off summer with an exciting slate of new and returning original series and specials to keep viewers engaged after the successful Cobra Kai season 2 launch.

STATE OF PRIDE -- May 29
MALUMA: LO QUE ERA, LO QUE SOY, LO QUE SERE -- June 5
THIS IS EVERYTHING: GIGI GORGEOUS -- June 5
STONEWALL OUTLOUD -- June 26
BOOKTUBE -- Summer 2019 TBD
LOLLAPALOOZA LIVESTREAM -- August 1-4
Following a record-setting Coachella livestream, YouTube is expanding its 2019 live music festival lineup to include coverage of Lollapalooza this summer. In addition to the curated live stream over the four-day festival, for the first time ever, fans will get additional custom content giving unique access to the festivals' artists.

#22 ·
YouTube has released the trailer for SEASON 4 of the longest running YouTube Original series, ESCAPE THE NIGHT. Episodes 1 and 2 of the 10-episode, half-hour series will premiere on July 11 with the first episode free to fans around the world. ESCAPE THE NIGHT seasons 1 - 3 will also be available for free to stream on YouTube Premium from June 26 - July 31. (Source)

#25 ·
YouTube is making the following series available for FREE for a limited time due to Covid-19. (Works in Canada as well)

Escape the Night S1-4
F2 Finding Football
Foursome S1-2
IDOLiSH7 Vibrato
Impulse S1-2
Matpat's Game Lab
Me and My Grandma
Overthinking with Kat & June
Re:Set
Step Up: High Water S1-2
The Fake Show
The Sidemen Show
Sherwood

Coming Soon (check back here for updates):
We Are Savvy
Hyperlinked
Fruit Ninja Frenzy Force
Kings of Atlantis

https://sites.google.com/view/yto-free-series/home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.