Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable 4K Discussions

41K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  dm_4u 
#1 ·
Does anyone known if & when shaw will release a 4K PVR

#2 ·
This is Shaw..... In other words, "2 years after they make an announcement if we're lucky......."[emoji14]

Honestly, I haven't heard anything yet, but with them just rolling out their new Gateway (without 4k support from at least the current firmware), it might be quite some time before they do it

#5 ·
Not until there's a point to it, in any case. All the TV channels are 720p/1080i, and certain VOD content is 1080p. I could see Shaw possibly launching a few 4K movies to VOD, maybe in a few years, but nothing recordable.

In any case, the market's already pushing 8K sets as the "next big thing"; it won't be long before people are demanding 8K (7,680x4,320) PVRs.

#7 ·
I think the XG1 Gateway is supposed to do 4K but only once it gets the proper X1 firmware that Shaw is supposed to be rolling out by the end of this year.

Content and market penatration(number of subscriber households with 4K tvs) are always factors. As previously stated, 4K may be eclipsed, possibly by technology we haven't even heard of yet.

#9 ·
4K! (kinda)!

So, I was talking with Shaw Customer Service today (June 19th 2018) and was told that the Shaw Blu-sky system officially has viewable 4K content as of June 11th 2018.

My excitement was quickly watered down a bit when she explained that it is currently YouTube and Netflix that are available... Which most people with 4K Smart TV's already have access to. But, I was told that channels are on the horizon... Shaw Programming Exec's are currently working with content providers and trying to work out deals. She has a hunch that the next roll-outs will be 4K On Demand content and sports channels (TSN 4K etc.)

Not the ideal news I was hoping for, but it's a start!

#10 ·
@dtrain Do you have a BlueSky system and a 4K TV to test YouTube or Netflix? I was playing with a Shaw Bluesky system and I thought I saw some Netflix 4K programs, but they didn't have a 4K TV.

I'm not sure if the older BlueSky hardware is 4K compatible or if it will have to be replaced. Rogers just began a soft launch of the Comcast X1 system and their boxes are all capable of 4K.

In terms of content, there isn't much available in 4K besides 2 TSN channels and 2 Sportsnet channels. Only a handful of events are broadcast in 4K.

Don't expect the mainstream entertainment channels to switch to 4K anytime soon.

#11 ·
I have the Xi6 in my home and it is definitely 4K. They have currently 6 fulltime 4K channels on the service. Those channels are included in my current package, but unfortunately I don't have a 4K Tv, and have no plans to get one. The older Xi5 that is/was used by Comcast in some markets is not 4K capable. I think Comcast has just started to use the Xi6 in some locations.

#12 ·
@Dr.Dave I do not have Bluesky. I do have a couple of 4K TV's and the 4K Premium Streaming Netflix package with Internet 150, as well as some very cool Youtube content in 2160p. The content is quite impressive in 4K.

I was told that ALL Bluesky hardware is compatible now for 4K streaming (as long as all other criteria is met ... 4K TV, Netflix Premium, Broadband internet etc.)

As far as 4K content on broadcast TV channels, I agree ... It will be awhile until 4K content is available. But when searching on Netflix for UltraHD, it is quite surprising the amount of content which is now filmed in 2160p.

#14 ·
@Dr.DaveI was told that ALL Bluesky hardware is compatible now for 4K streaming (as long as all other criteria is met ... 4K TV, Netflix Premium, Broadband internet etc.)
According to Shaw's hardware info, the original BlueSky boxes (XG1v3) and portals aren't 4K Compatible.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14975

Comcast customers who want 4K are getting the XG1v4 PVR and/or Xi6 portals as replacements.

I was talking to a Shaw installer about the Wi-Fi portals (Xi6) that Rogers uses and he said Shaw is looking at them, but haven't made a decision. I didn't ask him about 4K, but I believe those are the only portals that handle 4K.

It would be interesting if someone who has BlueSky, a 4K TV and a Netflix 4K account tried some 4K content through the BlueSky box.

#22 ·
I know someone who just switched from the Shaw Gateway to BlueSky and they got the V3 PVR. I don't know if they were offered a choice.

Anyone getting a new BlueSky system should probably request the 4K PVR if they have a 4K TV or plan on getting one soon.

My guess is Shaw will only swap PVRs on request and may not do so until they start offering the 4K channels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.