In HD: Lost Season 5 Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 01:55 PM
Veteran

Ben "adopted" Russeau's child - he was not the biological father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 01:57 PM

I never believed Ben was the 'real' father to Alex.
post #78 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 04:25 PM

I could swear there was an episode where Rousseau tells Ben or Ben says it out load that Alexandra is his daughter.

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.

post #79 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 04:56 PM
Veteran

^^^ Near the end of season 1, Rousseau tells someone (can't remember who??) that she was pregnant when she arrived and The Others took her baby when she was 1 week old.

Ben was her adopted father, and apparently loved her as his own. Although I hate trying to figure out when Ben is lying and when he is not, I believe the emotion he has shown repeatedly with regards to Alex is genuine.
post #80 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Time Shifting Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
Only the people present on/around the island when it "moved" are shifting through time. The version of Russo Jin encountered was from/in the past.
But what about Richard Alpert? We have seen how he never ages, which means he is either:
  1. aging at a different rate,
  2. is a ghost like Jack/Claire's father,
  3. or is shifting as well.

Since it appears he had never met Locke before (when at the Hostiles camp earier the season - atomic bomb episode), I really believe it is #1:
  • When Locke shifted and was shot in the leg near the plane crash (the one that Locke and Boone had found in Season 1), Richard already knew him (but he had visited Locke as an infant in the hospital, and then again as a little boy). But with one of the first shiftings after Ben turns the wheel, Richard and his camp are vanished.
  • It appears that Jack's father (or at least his ghost) is shifting as well, since he had prior knowledge of Locke's instructions to "move the Island". My assumption is that since it appears the Orchid was constructed after the well was dug, when Locke turns the wheel it must be in the past, as the well has yet to be dug. Remember that anything they are touching shifts with them;... that is why the rope is still in Saywer's hand.
  • This means Richard and his crew are not shifting with Locke and the rest of the crash victims and the freighter folk, and possibly entities such as Jack's father, even though they were all present on the island when the wheel was turned!

However..... Even if Richard and his camp are not shifting with Locke & company, it is not yet proven that Richard is not capable of time shifting himself in his own way. But based on the reasons above, I still think it is just that he is aging at a different rate, if he is actually aging at all.

Or maybe my logic is flawed....

And some more questions:
  1. When is the Black Rock going to come back into the story? I would really like to know how it ended up in the Jungle.
  2. Is Jack's father and Jacob the same entity?
  3. What the Hell was that temple like place where the Black Smoke Machine took the French dude??
post #81 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Richard did not know Locke, because he had not met him yet. But Richard can move in time (probably at will). After Locke tells him that he becomes his leader - Richard says, impossible, the selection process starts when the candidate is very young. I think that Richard then decided to visit Locke as a child. If you recall, he puts a bunch of items in front of the Locke as a child, and asks him which one is his. Richard wants him to pick the compass (which he gave him).

At the time, Richard had not *yet* gone back in time to see Locke as a child.

In the same way, Farraday does not remember telling Charlotte not to return to the island, because he hadn't done it yet. He will - remember seeing a present day Farraday in the Orchid when it was being constructed.
post #82 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 05:44 PM

I've watched the show since the begining and these theories on here are confusing me more than the actual show does.
post #83 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Yup,
Now I'm confused by own theory......

Larry, I think your theory about Richard deciding to go back in time to visit Locke as a child is correct. Also, please reread my last post above yours, as I was in the process of editing it while you posted yours. I'm not sure what parts I had added since you posted. Hope I haven't confused you as much as I am right now

My assumption was that when Richard met Locke in the atomic bomb episode (with the young Charles Widmore), Locke had actually not yet been born. Richard then decided to visit him as a baby, and then again as a boy in a few years time, when Locke was then actually born.

Or maybe we're both right
post #84 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 06:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
[*]It appears that Jack's father (or at least his ghost) is shifting as well, since he had prior knowledge of Locke's instructions to "move the Island".
My theory is that anyone who came in Flight 815 is moving, and Christian's body was on that flight. So if that theory is correct then he is moving. Remember he showed up on the freighter to talk to Michael right before it blew up too. So he can probably travel, like I think Alpert can.

I try to stay away from the theories as much as I can because it just confuses me.
post #85 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 08:18 PM
Veteran

Last season in Cabin Fever Christian clearly told Locke that no, he's not Jacob, but he can speak for him.
post #86 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 08:23 PM
PFD

Well Christian is a ghost, isn't he? So I guess he can travel through time at will.

With a name like Christian Shepard, you know he's good. I found that a bit of a paradox. He was underground with Locke (hell) while Ben and Mrs. Hawking were in a church (heaven);
post #87 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
Larry, I think your theory about Richard deciding to go back in time to visit Locke as a child is correct.
I don't think that Richard can (and doesn't) travel through time. He went to see Locke in the original time line because 'future Locke' told him that he would be born in 2 years (that was in 1954 right?) so Richard just waited and went to see him in 2 years etc.

I just think that whatever thing (human or not) Richard is, doesn't age while on the island, and that's why the others have "always been there". Also, I think that Whidmore is one of the others (i.e. young Whidmore) but once he got off of the island he started to age like a normal person would.

The only peope jumping through time seem to be the visitors that were there when the initial move happened. It doesn't affect the inhabitants of the island who are Richard and the others.
post #88 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 02:06 PM
Veteran

You might be right about Richard just waiting 2 years. The others were all kinds of ages of the others -- what would be considered someone "who has always been there" ?

Last edited by Larry; 2009-02-17 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Rethought things
post #89 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
But Ben aged on the Island.
But Ben wasn't originally a member of the Others; he came with the Dharma Initiative.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #90 of 276 (permalink) Old 2009-02-17, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
The others were all kinds of ages of the others -- what would be considered someone "who has always been there" ?
I don't know, hopefully they'll answer the question of who or what "the others" are and how they came to be eventually.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in