The Amazing Race 14 discussion - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: Who will win Amazing race 14?
Tammy & Victor 15 88.24%
Margie & Luke 0 0%
Jaime & Cara 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 03:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Actually I thought it was a little hokey that Keisha and Jen got the task done that quickly...I'll bet the show stepped up after 30-60 minutes and had them "approved".

And...the reason I say this is that the Chinese team specifically said that one little nuance in pronounciation makes a huge difference in the Chinese language and can change the meaning completely...and if they had some trouble (and they speak fluent Chinese)...then I don't see how a frustrated team (that just got u-turned) could get it right...and be so close at the pit-stop.

This sort of wreaked...like when they brought the plane back in a previous year against the couple who should have won by a mile...(can't recall their names at the moment...but they were all over tv for a year)
They were close because the cheerleaders took forever to find the clue where the next pit-stop was. As it was (from last nights episode) the cheerleaders were 5 hours behind Tammy/Victor and 3 hours behind Margie and Luke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 07:22 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
I was happy with the outcome. I certainly didn't want Margie & Luke or Jaime & Cara to win. Tammy & Victor played well as a team (after a rocky start).
post #123 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 07:46 AM
Member #1

Congrats to Tammy & Victor. They really deserved to win.

Having said that, Jaime and Cara in the Green bikini's certainly was the highlight of the show.

post #124 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I couldn't help but notice they had matching bikinis.

Anyway, for a brief moment, I was rooting for Luke (my underdog instinct) but then he started to whine we got something wrong. It was like watching Tiger Woods play golf and missing a easy putt.

The best team won and they did become more likeable but do two lawyers really need this money?
post #125 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 08:41 AM
Veteran

I think Tammy and Victor played the game with the most enthusiasm I have seen in a while...they seemed to really enjoy every place they visited.

Having said that...I was a little disappointed that the finale was only an hour long...I was expecting a two hour long race for the final episode...and I don't mean one of those reunion shows that drags on far too long...just more challenges for the million bucks.
post #126 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 08:53 AM
Member #1

IMO, Margie was simply the best competitor I have ever seen in the Amazing Race. That women had it all. Her son was a whiner. Originally I was pulling for Margie and Luke but his constant whining was too much.

Jaime and Cara lost my sympathy after all their complaining in China.

Interesting how it always seems to come down to the final task relating to what happened over the previous three weeks to determine the winner.

(Note: Unsticking thread now that show is over)

post #127 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

For the last for seasons the finale have been one hour. Last night Donald Trump finale was 3 hours. Different Networks with different levels of ratings success.

This show used to have a 2 hour finale starting with 4 teams, one leaving at the one hour mark.

It's too bad the opening and closing episodes are not 2 hours long.
post #128 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 09:56 AM

Amazing race is the best of the reality shows, however I found this season a bit dissapointing. Tammy and Victor had an obvious advantage in China which was unfairly leading into the finals. I also didn't like the confusion with the rules in regards to the stunt guys. CBS didn't preview any futher editions at the end of the show, I imagine there will be a long gap before the next.
post #129 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 10:05 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
The best team won and they did become more likeable but do two lawyers really need this money?
Once again, the name of the show is "The Amazing Race", not "The Amazing Race of Social Justice."

Contestants are chosen for their TV appeal, not for their financial need. If you want treacle, go watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.
post #130 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 10:48 AM
Member #1

emcee, see Amazing Race' back for 15th cycle

My first AR was 11 and have now quite enjoyed the last four. I just wish that somehow they could find ways to eliminate some of the cab issues. Maybe more pedestrian, train and subway travel so the players have to have their wits about them.

(FWIW, I assume that subway, and pedestrian travel is problematic from a filming pespective hence why cabs are used more often)

post #131 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Tammy and Victor had an obvious advantage in China which was unfairly leading into the finals
Huh! They all flew to Maui on the same flight. In fact V&T left the jet-ski's in last place. I am not sure where this translated into an advantage.
post #132 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
My first AR was 11 and have now quite enjoyed the last four.
Hugh, it is well worth it to find the old seasons. Much better than the last few...
post #133 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 11:06 PM
Veteran

Agreed 100% on this one -- I started during season 7, and those seasons were much better.
post #134 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 07:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Amazing race is the best of the reality shows, however I found this season a bit dissapointing. Tammy and Victor had an obvious advantage in China which was unfairly leading into the finals. I also didn't like the confusion with the rules in regards to the stunt guys. CBS didn't preview any futher editions at the end of the show, I imagine there will be a long gap before the next.
As is often the case though, everyone was on the same flight to the final destination so anything that happened previously in the game didn't really matter at all. The final challenge seemed a bit easier than some previous seasons, but still everything came down to that. As viewers, we are not privy to the rules, but with a million dollars up for grabs, you can be sure that the contestants are given a written set of rules and sign an agreement/contract before being accepted.
post #135 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-12, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post
As is often the case though, everyone was on the same flight to the final destination so anything that happened previously in the game didn't really matter at all.
That's like saying the refs giving five penalties in a row to one team in the Stanley Cup playoffs, allowing the unpenalized team to score, doesn't matter if they then give five penalties in a row to the other team - what happens at any stage has profound implications down the road. Tammy/Victor's advantage in China arguably caused stronger teams to be eliminated during those legs than might otherwise have been the case, thereby profoundly affecting the eventual outcome.

Having said that, unless you had teams of clones, it is obviously impossible to completely even the playing field and I think AR does a pretty good job of making a fair competition by having a very good variety of detours/roadblocks/etc. I also think at the end of the day, the winners have been determined in most seasons by simple blind luck, which is as it should be if you want to keep ratings high right to the end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in