The Amazing Race 14 discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: Who will win Amazing race 14?
Tammy & Victor 15 88.24%
Margie & Luke 0 0%
Jaime & Cara 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-04, 04:14 PM

Talk about pissing away your chance at a Million dollars

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
I loved it when Keisha and Jen had to say the different meals in Chinese. The English translation was so funny! Even the Chinese team had difficulty with one of the meals. It must be a very hard language to learn with all the different nuances.
Actually I thought it was a little hokey that Keisha and Jen got the task done that quickly...I'll bet the show stepped up after 30-60 minutes and had them "approved".

And...the reason I say this is that the Chinese team specifically said that one little nuance in pronounciation makes a huge difference in the Chinese language and can change the meaning completely...and if they had some trouble (and they speak fluent Chinese)...then I don't see how a frustrated team (that just got u-turned) could get it right...and be so close at the pit-stop.

This sort of wreaked...like when they brought the plane back in a previous year against the couple who should have won by a mile...(can't recall their names at the moment...but they were all over tv for a year)
post #108 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
This sort of wreaked...like when they brought the plane back in a previous year against the couple who should have won by a mile...(can't recall their names at the moment...but they were all over tv for a year)
You mean Rob and Amber? That was Karma.

post #109 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 08:52 AM
Member #1

Unfortunately, we never see a clock so we can't tell how long people really were at a task. I suspect the Chinese cook was instructed on what was acceptable and what was not. I suspect that if Tammy and Victor's first crack had been spoken by anyone else, that it would have been accepted.

Keisha and Jen should be applauded for coming back and almost making it to the final three (after the swim episode and the u-turn)

I was rooting for Cara and Jaime until last episode. They screwed up and then they blame it on everyone but themselves. I stopped liking Luke and Mom. Luke is a big baby and the author of many of his own problems. Sure he can't speak but he is a big suck.

I'm no fan of Victor and Tammy but I hope they win simply because they haven't been big whiners and complainers.

post #110 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 09:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
You mean Rob and Amber? That was Karma.
Rob and Amber it was...and actually I thought Rob was brilliant...very innovative.

He was the first ever to pay a cab...to lead them to a clue...and one of his very best...was to collect money from several teams...in order to pay someone to do something for them...but in fact he and Amber paid nothing.

He also convinced another team to forgo a challenge he couldn't do...and just took the time penalty...so as soon as he did that...he knew he couldn't lose.

Alas it was his own one mistake that had them get the boot...however...they sure made that season interesting.

Luke has grown old very quickly on me too...so I'm hoping for Victor and Tammy...as they seemed to enjoy every week...except one...where Victor almost blew it...like Rob.
post #111 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 09:04 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I'm no fan of Victor and Tammy but I hope they win simply because they haven't been big whiners and complainers.
I hope they win too. Mainly becasue they got off to a rocky start but certainly recovered. Their relationship has definitely worked out for the better.

I really can't stand the other 2 teams so it makes my choice easy. However, as we all know, the game is not based on likability as is BB or survivor, so any team still has a equal shot at it, although I think Tammy/Victor are certainly working together the best.
post #112 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

On the next Amazing Race:

SEASON FINALE
When Karma attacks - One team's rage against taxi drivers around the world comes back to haunt them. Two teams put their friendship first when they set aside the race and help each other finish a task. One racer's constant nagging while searching for a clue causes their partner to lose their cool and in an unprecedented finale, the final three teams find themselves racing neck-and-neck in their last task on the road to the million dollar prize.
post #113 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 12:23 PM

jumpy27
Quote:
"I loved it when Keisha and Jen had to say the different meals in Chinese. The English translation was so funny! Even the Chinese team had difficulty with one of the meals. It must be a very hard language to learn with all the different nuances."
My daughter-in-law speaks fluent Cantonese and I mentioned to her that I had heard that Chinese people do not like the number 4 because it's considered unlucky as it sounds very similar for the word for death. She agreed that is correct so I asked her to say both words several times and I could hardly tell the difference! I suppose it's the same thing with Mandarin and the slightest variation in tone means something completely different.
post #114 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 12:39 PM

Those who know how to speak Cantonese would know that it doesn't take much to confuse "Mother" to "Horse"... or "One" to "Day" because they sound so similar.
post #115 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-05, 12:54 PM

Exactly! I usually go by the context of the phrase to figure out what the person really means when they mispronounce a word e.g. A friend of ours when describing someone who is a little odd will say, "Bob is kind of assentic" when she means he's kind of excentric.
post #116 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-08, 02:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXAM View Post
A friend of ours when describing someone who is a little odd will say, "Bob is kind of assentic" when she means he's kind of excentric.
I assume you mean eccentric http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eccentric

Can't wait for the finale. Should be good.
post #117 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-10, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Jesus Christ doesn't like cheerleaders.
post #118 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 12:36 AM
Veteran

Well, at least not the bitchy ones.
post #119 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 01:56 AM

dosborne: "I assume you mean eccentric http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eccentric"
I prefer the British spelling "excentric." Please see www.dictionary.com for this alternate spelling.
post #120 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-05-11, 03:14 AM

James99 "Jesus Christ doesn't like cheerleaders."

That snarky, mean-spirited, cheerleader kept saying that the surfboard had a picture of Jesus Christ on it. I believe it was the image of St.Christopher, the patron saint of travellers. I'm kind of glad they didn't win!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in