Fringe (Fox, A Channel) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 01:40 PM

Can someone confirm that last nights' episode is the VERY FIRST ONE of this new series.
I ask, because my BEV HD PVR was showing "episode # 3" in the guide info??? Confused......

Thanks

Paul

Pioneer Kuro 60", Integra DHC 80.3, Parasound Halo A51, Oppo 93, ELAC FS247's, Velodyne SPLR1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgto View Post
A good dose of suspension of belief required before watching.
jumping off the roof, falling 2 or 3 stories and landing on the fire escape, only to get up and continue the chase was a bit of a stretch for me.
post #18 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
Can someone confirm that last nights' episode is the VERY FIRST ONE of this new series.
I ask, because my BEV HD PVR was showing "episode # 3" in the guide info??? Confused......

Thanks

Paul
I can confirm it was. I am on Bell and saw the Pilot show about 2 months ago. Same one.

post #19 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
One of the best series openers I've seen in a while. I haven't been this excited about a show since the series opener of Heroes. I can't wait for next week.

Some of the great one liners:
"Transparent skin is not good."
"Let's make some LSD."
"How long has he been dead? 'Five Hours'. Ok, let's go question him".

Yes, as a whole, pretty preposterous, but I loved all the references to "Altered States". Never thought I would see that on network TV. And I really liked the 3d titles.
post #20 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 04:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
One of the best series openers I've seen in a while. I haven't been this excited about a show since the series opener of Heroes. I can't wait for next week.
It is one that excites me as well. I haven't been as excited for a new show since Prison Break. I didn't realize how good Heroes was until mid-season because I was watching the MLB Playoffs when it came on.
post #21 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 09:30 PM

I liked how they sometimes gave us the length of the commercial break - it makes for easier FFing as you simply count the commercials and know exactly when it is going to end before it does.

With all the on-screen ads during shows these days, we should demand this feature for every commercial break. That seems like a reasonable trade-off to me.
post #22 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-10, 09:36 PM
Veteran

The first episode of Fringe had a special connection for many of us.

A lot of scenes were filmed in a building I worked within for many years. In March of 1989, I joined the computer department of Peel Memorial Hospital, in Brampton, Ontario. The outside shots of a hospital were of PMH, which has been closed since October 2007 when we moved all patients to the new Brampton Civic Hospital.

Several of the inside shots of a medical facility were also from PMH. In all, there were eight scenes from PMH within the show.

However - the outside shots show tall buildings behind the building. Those do not exist, they have been added in post production. Guess they wanted you to think the hospital was within a much larger metropolis.

Enjoy the shots while you can. I am not sure if the Ministry of Health has decided how to redevelop the facility. Given the age of some parts of the facility, it is pretty sure that whatever is done, it will look very very different, with some parts gone completely.

I am not 100% sure, but wasn't the car chase done on the Lakeshore, underneath the Gardiner Expressway?
post #23 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 01:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Like after being thrown 30 meters by a blast and hiting a dumpster and walking away with only a scratch on your forehead just hours later -- no, this is not right.
There was pretty good brusing visible on her back during the scene where they immersed her in the tank - perhaps you were distracted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
I am not 100% sure, but wasn't the car chase done on the Lakeshore, underneath the Gardiner Expressway?
Yes, 100%. You could see the Jarvis sign at one point, as well as the Loblaws in the background. They even seemed to show that chase scene in a reasonable sequence, first in downtown, then underneath the railway tracks/Union Station platforms on York or Bay - not sure which, then onto the Gardiner and heading east. Unlike Flash Point which highlights it's Toronto locale, but then shows completely absurd chase scenes which teleport from point to point around the city - often backwards.

Shades of many series here. Lost, X-Files, CSI (and all the CSI-clones), ... and is anyone else reminded of The Omega Factor from 1979?
post #24 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 08:52 AM

Finally watched the pilot last night.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It has a definite X-files vibe to it which I like.

I thought the crazy professor character was pretty good. Lots of good one liners and generally wacky behaviour to keep the show from getting too serious. Like when he peed himself in the car and when he was watching Spongebob.

Last edited by jvincent; 2008-09-11 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo.
post #25 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 09:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I thought the crazy professor character was pretty good. Lots of good one liners and generally wacky behaviour to keep the show from getting to serious. Like when he peed himself in the car and when he was watching Spongebob.
Same actor that played Denethor (Steward of Gondor) in Return of the King, if anyone cares. Good casting choice, IMO.
post #26 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 10:12 AM

Yep, I recognized him right away. I'm waiting for him to try and set his son on fire.
post #27 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think the actor that plays the tall black Homeland Security/FBI boss (I can't remember his name), also has appeared on Lost as one of the agents on the mainland.

Quote:
A good dose of suspension of belief required before watching.
I usually will suspend my need for continuity and realism for these types of shows. Concentrating on details like that detracts from the story IMHO. I think we all realise it isn't reality TV.

cheers.
post #28 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-11, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gecko View Post
I think the actor that plays the tall black Homeland Security/FBI boss (I can't remember his name), also has appeared on Lost as one of the agents on the mainland.
Yes, he plays Matthew Abaddon on Lost.

Disbelief aside, I enjoyed the episode but I hope it improves and doesn't get too outrageous. I'll keep watching.
post #29 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 11:35 PM

hey sevenGLR go to youtube and watch some parkour aka free running videos. that may explain the 2 story drop on to the fire escape.
post #30 of 264 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 01:02 AM
Veteran

I just watched it. I really, really enjoyed it. The pilot just flowed like a movie. Like the X-Files, the show is supposed to run episode by episode. There will be running stories, but each show can be watched on its own. I'll have to see how that works out. X-Files did it really well, but so many shows now are more fun when it's like one long series.

Like NB Josh said, this reminds me of the beginning of Prison Break. Everything worked. Characters, storyline... Makes me wonder how much longer I can keep watching Prison Break.

Tags
fox , fringe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in