Flashpoint on CTV/CBS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Flashpoint on CTV/CBS

It's the first Canadian show to air on US national television and Canadian TV since Due South. It was on last night, definitely up to par with any other American cop show I've seen. What was really cool was that it was set in Toronto, they didn't just fake Toronto for some other American city.

To me, this show is very good for Canadian TV, but the problem is, it's just another cop show in the United States. Anyone else see this last night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 12:37 PM

I watched it on CBS-HD. They don't mention the city and their patches just say Metropolitan police. I'll probably keep recording and watching it. It usually takes a few episodes for a show to get into it's rythym.
post #3 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 12:53 PM
Digital Sage

USA Today Review:

Quote:
Here's yet one more thing we can blame on the writers' strike.

Surely had CBS not been terrified that it would run out of product, it would not have imported the Canadian cop show Flashpoint (tonight, 10 ET/PT), a cut-rate version of the kind of show CBS already has in overabundance. That's really carrying coals to Newcastle, and in this case, coal that was pretty much burned out a decade ago.

It is at least nice to have Veronica Mars' Enrico Colantoni back on TV, particularly because it may remind someone who's running a better show what a good addition he would be. Here, unfortunately, he's stuck in some purposely unidentified city (the better to sell the show elsewhere) playing the negotiator leader of a SWAT team, a character who's as dull as the show itself.

True, in American crime shows the cops don't sing Gilbert and Sullivan, and they tend to be a bit less weepy/sensitive. Otherwise, though, Flashpoint is as violent, ugly and stupid as any show in the genre, and even more forgettable.

Yes, it's summer and there's not a lot of new options out there. But terrible is terrible in any season, and CBS knows it — which is why the show is airing in one of TV's traditional dead zones.

Leave it to die in peace.

post #4 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 02:15 PM
Veteran

Ouch. I thought it was quite good. I never would have identified it as Canadian production if I hadn't have alreasdy known.
post #5 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 02:44 PM

After watching it I would have to agree with the USA today review. It reeks of Canadiana, which is unfortunate because I'd like to see Canadian produced shows succeed. This is another re-hash of a big city cop show. I was actually surprised to see that CBS was also showing it If you want to watch a successful Canadian produced show, check out Regenesis. I like the fact that they are not afraid to say we're from Canada and proud of it (even if the main lab is in Toronto .

I agree that sometimes it can take a few episodes for a show to develop a unique character. I'll try a few more episodes and see.

I thought that the way they introduced the new team member was very labored. They tried to instill a sense of intrigue by slowly moving him into the equation. Too bad it didn't build the wow factor as it should have, maybe the next episode will do that?

HTPC BTV4.2-BM1.1 MSI K8N NEO2-AMD64-1gb RAM-2XPVR250-RADEON 9600XT-2X120GB-200GB-Firefly-MyBlaster-DSR405 & DSR400.
Client MediaMVP MVPBTV addon

Last edited by revsiriusiakin; 2008-07-12 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update
post #6 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 04:19 PM

I thought it was a decent show and like a previous poster mentioned, it's gonna take a couple of episodes for the show to really see where it's going.
post #7 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 07:42 PM

I thought it was a decent show. There were a couple of clues that it was a Canadian show even before the obvious shot of the CN Tower. If you looked closely at their arm patches, they had clasic heraldy symbols.. bears, elk and a crown atop a shield, something you'd never see from a US police force. I doubt it will play very well in the States though, I could just see many Americans scratching there heads after the good guy takes out the bad guy. Instead of high fives and pats on the back for the hero, he's imidately wisked off and practically strip searched, interogated and treated like he's the criminal. I doubt that this will play very well with the average American veiwer who has no concept of SIU investigations and the differences in justice systems.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One
post #8 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 08:30 AM
Veteran

I caught it too, didn't mind it too much, we'll have to see if it has staying power on our PVR. Certainly didn't "look" like your typical Canadian show though. My main interest in the show was that Hugh Dillon is in it. I'm a HUGE fan of his work and his group The Headstones (may they rest in peace).

"Went down to the cemetery looking for love..."

Ahhhh... good times.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
post #9 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 10:54 AM
Veteran

I also think I saw the City of Toronto flag during the show. I am just assuming this because I only saw the flag for a few seconds.
post #10 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 03:58 PM
Veteran

post #11 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 04:28 PM

I watched it and wasn't impressed. It just didn't do anything for me.
post #12 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 08:57 PM

I think the shot of CN Tower made it pretty obvious where they were.

I found the show pretty good. And yes it's Canadian, but doubtful they americans will notice.

Love the pink power ranger.
post #13 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
I'm surprised they haven't just come right out and stated the city name. American's probably think it is Seatle's space needle rather than the CN Tower...... but both episodes have seemed to make an effort to include a shot of it.

I liked it. I didn't think it was phenominal, but it was certainly worth watching to see where it goes. All new shows start a bit slow.

I'd rate it up there just above The Border which started to grow on me.
post #14 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 02:57 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
Rescheduled to Thursdays at 10pm

Flashpoint moving to Thursday nights at 10 PM ET on CBS and CTV starting with tonight's episode. This move is due to higher than expected ratings for the show for CBS and has switched timeslots with Swingtown.
post #15 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 03:45 PM
Digital Sage

Friday has always been a dead night, especially during the summer. Winning the time slot means little.

On Thursdays it has a strong lead-in so the ratings should be decent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in