Flashpoint on CTV/CBS - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Holy Flashpoint over load tonight - it's airing on Global, CTV and CBS at the same time. Heh heh.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 03:09 PM

I think the show is really in it's rythim now, I really liked the 3rd episode.
post #18 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 03:13 PM
Veteran

Not a bad third episode... buy why didn't they have a bus there ready to go once the undercover got shot...

I think we'll see them start to focus on the team's chemistry now.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron LC-70LE732U + Cisco 9865HD | Panasonic TC-P42U1 1080p + Cisco 4642HD | BlackBerry Z10 / PlayBook

post #19 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 03:17 PM

I really didn't like this episode as much. If the show is being open about being set in Canada ... then the third strike story line bothered me. We don't have that inanity up here. The other thing that bothered me was the carelessness in scripting. As shabbs pointed out, there's no way a police tactical unit goes into a building like that without paramedics and ambulances on site. Waiting for the ambulance as the kid dies?? Maybe he dies, but not without immediate medical attention.

I don't mind suspending disbelief for shows that are premised that way (eg. 24). However, shows that are trying to base themselves in the emotional realism of being part of tactical unit should be asking me to do so.
post #20 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 08:14 PM
Veteran

I don't see them as being "open" about being in Canada... there's the odd Canadiana reference (ie: Timmy's across the street) and what not, but it's not overly Canadian, and I think that's done on purpose to make it a lot more marketable to the US.

post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 09:41 PM

It's pretty Canadian when the uniforms that the SRU officers wear sport three maple leafs (one on each epaulet and one on the name bar) and vehicles clearly have Ontario license plates. Also, references to Afghanistan are pretty Canadian (JTF2 in the first episode comes to mind).
post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Heh. I bet all of those are lost on US viewers anyways...

post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 11:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Also, references to Afghanistan are pretty Canadian (JTF2 in the first episode comes to mind).
Yea they also mentioned that a member of the team was stationed in Kandahar, which implies he's probably a Canadian.

I also noticed in the last episode, which I just watched, that the young man calls his ex-dealer from a Bell payphone. Americans probably just think it is some fake phone company.
post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 12:32 AM

Wasn't the payphone next to a Canada Post distro box?
post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-07-29, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Yes, the Canada Post signage was pretty obvious in a number of scenes.

The 3rd strike issue mentioned above stuck out in my head as well. Maybe the writters just don't know any better and it was a mistake, I'd hate to think they added it on purpose.
post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-08-28, 11:08 PM

CTV Orders Second Season of Flashpoint

A little blurb from the CTV PR machine. Not bad for a summer series.
Quote:
- Early production order for homegrown drama, Canada's most-watched
scripted series -

- Flashpoint bests CBC's Olympic Prime in Toronto -
Quote:
Flashpoint has maintained an average audience of 1.17 million viewers
since it debuted No. 1 in both Canada and the U.S. last month on CTV and
CBS.... Flashpoint has attracted an average weekly
audience of seven million viewers in the U.S. since its premiere.
Quote:
Flashpoint has been sold to more than 50 countries and regions worldwide,
including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Scandinavia and Latin
America.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../25/c6674.html
post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-08-30, 02:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosborne View Post
Yes, the Canada Post signage was pretty obvious in a number of scenes.

The 3rd strike issue mentioned above stuck out in my head as well. Maybe the writters just don't know any better and it was a mistake, I'd hate to think they added it on purpose.
Could be American writers...
post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 01:21 PM
Rookie

So because its Canadian people need to exploit that and try to bring it down or something? Fair enough suit yourself if you dislike it because of the Canadian content, but imo its one of the best shows on TV right now.
post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 01:38 PM
Veteran

I like the show and last night's episode was pretty good. But, I'm not sure how long the story can go on like this. Emergency, rush in, save the day. Too much of that and it will get old fast. They'll need to start eliminating the "and everyone lives happily ever after" ending or delve into the characters a little more.

post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 05:19 PM

I've never been a big fan of Canadain made productions. 95% of anything coming out of the CBC is overly Canadain bunk in my opinion. I'm a proud Canadian but I hate most of the stuff coming out these days. It's pretty pathetic and tries too hard to put the Canadiana in your face. And far too much period pieces for my liking. Having said that, I really enjoy this series, it's clearly a Canadain centric show, but it doesn't throw it in your face. I like that they throw some references in that only Canadians are going to get. Most of the scenery could be anywhere but we will recognize it and most of the yanks i'm sure just think all those patches and such are made up not realizing they're Metro Toronto badges.

Something I didn't think would play well in the States are some of the uniquely Canadian policing issues, like having to deal with the SIU investigations and now a civilian lawsuit over a police shooting. I don't remember seeing too many story lines like that from any U.S. based shows. I am sure once they reach their stride we'll see some more character development, they've been flurting with it, but i'm thinking they'd have to wait and see how long they'd last before delving too deep into story arcs that are going to take longer to develop.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in