Andromeda Strain on A&E - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Andromeda Strain on A&E

I see A&E will be doing a remake of the movie 'Andromeda Strain'. It airs in two parts starting Monday May 26th.

http://www.aetv.com/the-andromeda-st...DGoogle+Search

I saw the original 1971 Movie. I'm a SciFi buff so I enjoyed it. I'm wondering how closely the made for TV remake will be... I hope it isn't all special effects and doesn't diverge too much from Michael Crichton's novel.

Did anyone else see the original movie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 04:11 PM
Veteran

A review in my local paper said it "is based only loosely on Crichton's work.", and that it plays out more like a Stephen King novel. You can read the write-up online here:

Andromeda Strain' infectious
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Also hoping it won't be in "stretch-o-vision" on A&E HD.

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 05:41 PM

I liked elements of the original, but found it was pretty slow going in places (the middle dragged). The new one has four network hours to work with (about 150 minutes of content - 40 mins x 4 minus 2.5 mins x 4 of hourly recaps) Cast looks passable, has two guys who've tried for breakout roles for the last five years - Ricky and Ben.

Hope it's good, but my sense is that it will look and feel like a lower budget prequel to I Am Legend. Lots of biohazard suits running around, helicopters crashing, CGI destruction of New York/LA, crowds trying to get onto planes and trains etc....i.e. like the parts of I Am Legend where Big Willie remembers pre-plague life.

I wonder if anyone sees the potential in combining Crichton's books in a film - in this case, the core idea of the Andromeda Strain with his ideas about genemod in Prey. Much more interesting
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 07:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlet View Post
Also hoping it won't be in "stretch-o-vision" on A&E HD.
No doubt. I think this is the first time I have set my PVR to record both the HD and the SD channel for the same show, just in case the HD is stretched out.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 07:59 PM

Definatly will be watching sounds interesting, also can't forget about the game on CBC though
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 10:27 PM

Location: Montreal Videotron(8642,4642), Netflix, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 x2, PS3
Watching it in HD. Not stretchovision , but no 5.1, appears to be PLII sound only

Wii Code: 0050 5044 3338 1179
gamertag: ratovan
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-26, 10:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratovan View Post
Watching it in HD. Not stretchovision , but no 5.1, appears to be PLII sound only
However, the commercials are being broadcast in stretchovision :-)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-27, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873 View Post
I see A&E will be doing a remake of the movie 'Andromeda Strain'. It airs in two parts starting Monday May 26th.

http://www.aetv.com/the-andromeda-st...DGoogle+Search

I saw the original 1971 Movie. I'm a SciFi buff so I enjoyed it. I'm wondering how closely the made for TV remake will be... I hope it isn't all special effects and doesn't diverge too much from Michael Crichton's novel.

Did anyone else see the original movie?
I remember watching this as part of my Grade 9 English class. It was pretty "advanced" for the time. I'm sure a lot of the movies we see now about "biohazard" came from this show and of course Crichton.

Own SA1840 8300HD/Rent 8300HDPVR * Harmony 880 * Aquos LC42D72U * Yamaha HTR-6030
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-27, 03:22 AM

Started slow, but it got better. Almost bailed during the cliched "Assembling the Team" part that seemed to go on even longer than the one in Armageddon, but I'll be back tomorrow night.

The Good - the black hole idea floated by Andre, which opens the door to a real twist (deliberate alien intervention)
- Andre as a villain. It plays to his natural sanctimoniousness.
-Ricky Schroeder reprising his role from 24, literally line by line.
-how the Bucky Ball concept is being applied.

The Bad - too many cliches ( a burned out reporter with a tough boss who has a heart of gold?. Come on, that's just lazy writing).

The Ugly - Ricky is playing a doctor. Does that make him "Dr Ricky"?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 09:50 AM

It wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable. I have the original on DVD. Too bad the audio was only DPLII. At least it was in real HD. I wonder if it will be available in BD with a real surround audio track?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 01:37 PM
jem

I really didn't enjoy this remake. They tried to shoehorn so much stuff into the story, that it just fell apart for me. "Quick, what Trek technobabble can we fill this with?". Buckyballs, wormhole, oh, and don't forget "sentient". HOw much did Crichton have to do with this? I expected more from a Ridley Scott production. I found myself hoping they would really make a change and let Wildfire blow up!!! Anything to get rid of Benjamin Bratt!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 08:23 PM

Really good story cool scenes. Nicely done in HD

Definatly staying on my PVR for a while
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 08:46 AM
Member #1

My wife and I finished watching this last night. We watched to the end but thought it was pretty ho-hum and too many stupid parts and some lame acting and too much left unexplained.

The last 20 minutes was just plain silly and the whole mancheck (sp?) demise was dumb

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 10:03 AM
Veteran

Andromeda Strain is being released on DVD today. We captured it on our HD PVR.

So, the choice is - watch the hidef version that includes commericals and advertising overlays, or watch the DVD version that is just movie.

Also - the capture is four hours long, two 2 hour movies. Running time for the DVD is 177 minutes. That would imply there was 240 - 177 = 63 minutes of advertising in the broadcast. Or that there was more material broadcast than was included in the movie. Anyone know which it might be?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in