Battlestar Galactica Season 4 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-25, 08:03 PM
Veteran

Does anyone know when CityTV (HD) is planning to start S4? I thought they were already showing S3, but I just checked the listings for this week, and they are showing "Black Market" from S2.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-25, 11:00 PM
Veteran

The first half of S4 has already aired. I believe the second half starts in January.
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 03:56 AM
Veteran

On CityTV HD? Or do you mean on Space in Canada?

post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 07:51 AM
Veteran

Space just ran episode 4 of S4 this past week. CityTV (according to Guide) are airing "Black Market" this coming week. I'm really confused now.

If CityTV is ahead of Space, then why on Earth are they going back to S2.5? And if Space is ahead of CityTV, why are they only on episode 4 (unless they have already aired all of S4.0 and are now re-airing it).

Edit:
Sorry, the episode on Space is "The Load Less Traveled", which is episode 5 (not 4) or 7, depending on whether you count Razor as 1&2 or not. It seems that Space is running a lot of episodes in different time slots. The Tuesday 10PM (EDT) slot is showing S4. Other time slots (Sunday night/early Monday morning) seem to be S2.

Last edited by wprager; 2008-07-26 at 08:07 AM.
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 08:14 AM
Veteran

Quick calculations. If CityTV is showing Black Market tomorrow, and Scar next week, and continues with the rest of S2.5 and S3 before starting S4, it may not start until February.

Edit: fixed up the typos and, oh, never mind.

Last edited by wprager; 2008-07-26 at 04:48 PM.
post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 12:55 PM
Veteran

As I said above, The first half of S4 has already aired on CityTV. The second half starts presumably in early 2009, in conjuction with SciFi's schedule.
post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 03:21 PM
Veteran

I am confused. I thought that S4 aired on Space first, not CityTV HD.
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 04:01 PM
Veteran

It does. Space has aired the first half of season 4, not City TV HD.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 04:16 PM
Veteran

Apologies, I could've sworn it was on City.
post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-26, 04:52 PM
Veteran

You might confuse CityTV with Space, but never CityTV-HD. Even though they are *not* broadcasting high-def material, the picture quality on the HD channel is night and day compared to what I''ve seen on Space. Unfortunately, the last coupe of times I recorded BSG on CityTV-HD it was letter- and pillar-boxed. In other words, they very likely had the same material (4:3 widescreen presentation, with the black bars top/bottom as actually part of the picture) with added pillar-boxes to fill the 16:9 aspect ratio of the HD channel.

I'm sure one of the zoom or stretch modes on my set (or the PVR) would fill the screen, but the PQ suffers a bit (still better than Space).
post #41 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 03:49 AM

The picture and audio quality on Space is so terrible that we downloaded divx files of season 4 episodes 1-10 and watched those instead. We don't get CityHD on Shaw (and even if we did the PQ on Shaw would probably be worse than what we downloaded, and full of audio dropouts to boot lol
post #42 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Well, there *is* that "illegal downloads" thing. I would prefer not to use bittorrent, if I can avoid it.

So, getting back to the original question, does anyone know when CityTV is planning to start airing S4? I contacted CityTV-Toronto with this question, but they've never answered my e-mail in two or three prior attempts, so I don't have high hopes they'll change their minds this time.
post #43 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 09:21 PM
Veteran

From a legal standpoint, what exactly is the difference between saving a show on a PVR to watch later as opposed to downloading the episode online for the exact same purpose?
post #44 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-27, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Well, for one, I would be watching it without commercials. Also, you are not limited by a hard drive, allowing you to archive just about everything (and cutting into DVD sales). And you could share this with your friends (who don't own a PVR and, thus, potentially eating into DVD sales or rentals).

Look, in the US they struck down network-based PVRs. This is where the cable company would provide server-side storage for "recording" shows. Each customer would still be limited as to how much storage they could use, and for each instance of a show being "recorded" there would be an instance of a file stored on the server (so it would not be a single copy with a counter indicating how many customers recorded it and have not yet erased it). It was *exactly* like a PVR, but with the hard-drive in the network. And it was *still* struck down.
post #45 of 127 (permalink) Old 2008-07-28, 12:23 AM

I should clarify. For what it is worth, if a TV show I want to watch in HD or a reasonable fascimile thereof is available online "legally" and conveniently, then I will pay to download for the relatively guaranteed quality and convenience factor. I've purchased several HD movies and seasons of various TV shows from iTunes, for example. But if a show I really want to watch is not available at a reasonable quality level , and if it is not available to download "legally", then I will happily download torrents.

Broadcasters have to earn my eyeballs - they can't just put any old crap on the screen and expect me to watch it. I think Space has the worst picture and sound quality of any channel in Canada. I will not watch or record anything on Space, especially not a favourite show like BSG, and we don't get CityTV in HD in Vancouver. Since BSG in HD is not available to me "legally", I downloaded torrents.

Downloading torrents is the only way I will see BSG in HD in the near future, and it is technically legal, at least until Canadian politicians are offered the right inducements to criminalize downloading.

Oh, and I skip commercials with a PVR and that's perfectly legal too, for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in