In HD: American Idol 2008 Thread (No Simsub Discussions) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 03:57 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
They all pretty much sucked last night, except maybe for the Irish chick with the previous record contract. She just looked horrific last night with the red top and school-marm hair.

If I were a betting man I'd have to say Kristie goes home tonight, for having two REALLY bad performances in a row. But her looks may save her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
If I were a betting man I'd have to say Kristie goes home tonight, for having two REALLY bad performances in a row. But her looks may save her.
I thought she did a great job last night, although I did have the sound turned off.
post #63 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 10:51 PM

On a Fox show today called TMZ, they showed a deceptive trick that they pull on American Idol. At the end of the programme they show clips of the various singers so the viewing audience can decide who to vote for. What they don't tell you is that these clips were actually taped earlier in the day during the dress rehearsal! They showed a split screen of the rehearsal clips on one side and the actual TV clip that the viewers saw. Often, the rehearsal performance was way better than what went out over the air.
BTW I always wondered how could they re-wind and edit all the clips so quickly, especially the very last performance. I guess we now, know!

post #64 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 08:53 AM
Digital Sage

I watched the TMZ show last night. See: http://www.tmz.com/2008/03/19/idol-v...-what-you-get/
post #65 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Aren't sports highlights always rewinded and edited pretty quickly.
post #66 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 08:18 AM

top 10 performance

Wow; "billy jean" by D.Cooke was amazing;if he were to record that single I would definitely purchase it; that version was a winner;I wonder who did the arrangement on that particular performance?

cheers!
post #67 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 08:42 AM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I only watched the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes, but from the performances I watched, I'd have to say that Ramiele deserves to go home this week (finally) and as much as I hate Emo and David Cooke, that rendition of "Billy Jean" kicked much arse.
post #68 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 09:42 AM
Digital Sage

David Cooke is one of the few contestants who actually seems to do more than just sing.

Changing the song and "making it his own" is something few of the others know how to do.
post #69 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
Aren't sports highlights always rewinded and edited pretty quickly.
I have convinced myself that at least the last performance "highlight" is from the reheasals. The last performance "highlight" is generally from the end of the song. I compared the "performance" and the "highlight" and saw different body gestures (different hand positions, etc.) Not sure about the earlier performances (I guess they have time to edit those).
post #70 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 12:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
David Cooke is one of the few contestants who actually seems to do more than just sing.

Changing the song and "making it his own" is something few of the others know how to do.
That definitely wasn't David Cook's own version. Chris Cornell covered Billy Jean and David Cook ripped off that arrangement. If you have the show taped, Seacrest even says something to the effect of "David Cook doing Chris Cornell's version of Billy Jean". I really liked it, but just keepin' it real, dawgs.
post #71 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 02:16 PM
Digital Sage

Fair enough. I haven't watched last nights show yet.
post #72 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Come on.Guys....David Cook has got the pipes and outshined all the competition last night..regardless if you like him or not...very cool song choice....BUT does he have the Chris Daughtry Curse on him??? Chris should have won last year but didn't...lets just hope this remains a "singing" contest not a popularity contest
post #73 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
and as much as I hate Emo and David Cooke, that rendition of "Billy Jean" kicked much arse.
Dude, David Cooke is definitely not emo.

As for the the mentioned Daughtry curse, is it really a curse? He's better off not winning and just getting a contract. Winning gets you tied to Idol for a year, definitely not worth it.

LG 55LH90, Panasonic SA-XR50, Toshiba HD-A2, Athena Micra 6, Harmony 880, Nintendo Wii, PS3, Boxee via MacBook
post #74 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-26, 07:06 PM
Digital Sage

People win or lose mainly based upon their age and not talent.

The younger you are the better the odds.

Here's last night recap, courtesy of USAT:

Quote:
Born to be mild. That's the conclusion you'd have to draw from the safe, unimaginative song choices of the American Idol competitors, who performed songs from their birth years Tuesday.

Syesha Mercado and Chikezie chose stodgy R&B ballads, while Jason Castro and Brooke White both opted for the Sting songbook. Carly Smithson picked that hoariest of Idol warhorses, Total Eclipse of the Heart, while Michael Johns fell back on super-safe rockers Queen.

But nothing topped the calculating caution of Kristy Lee Cook, whose God Bless the USA was designed to appeal to country fans, patriots and lovers of shameless shlock alike.

Ramiele Malubay was ambitious enough to sing Heart's challenging Alone (not well). And David Archuleta surprised with John Farnham's You're the Voice, but didn't live up to its title. So the boldness award went to David Cook, who picked the most overfamiliar song, Billie Jean, and (like Chris Cornell) turned it into a tortured ballad.
post #75 of 172 (permalink) Old 2008-03-27, 02:10 PM

If Idol was a truly singing contest..Chickezie wouldn't have left so soon..

For all the talk of talent this year...no one except David Cook is impressing me....David A. has his moments..but he needs seasoning and more maturity...Brooke - a good folk/folk rock singer that's it and she's not a good "performer", Jason - The dude can sing "halleghluia" like an angel..but that's it..Carly..meh, Michael..if he insn't singing Queen, he sucks..Kristy..double meh ....Syesha..nice voice, I don't get the hate for her but she'd get 2nd place in my books..Ramiele..triple meh but gets the "cute" award...

FortMacDude
FR : Hitachi 57F500, Pioneer VSX-1018AH, PS3, Bell 9200, Energy 5.1
LR: Samsung 40A530, Sony S550, Kenwood HTB 504, Xbox 360, Wii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in