In HD: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Cancelled) - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-05-20, 12:49 PM

The ratings system is a crock of expletive deleted! Especially now in the time of PVR's and online viewing/dl's, there current rating system is a dinosaur and, AFAIC, is completely useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-05-21, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleemo View Post
Dollhouse ratings did fall but not lower than Terminator's ratings. Terminator just wasn't profitable enough to keep it going.
"Profitable" can be such a flexible term, given creative accounting....besides, quality is it's own reward!
post #333 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 05:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
The ratings system is a crock of expletive deleted! Especially now in the time of PVR's and online viewing/dl's, there current rating system is a dinosaur and, AFAIC, is completely useless.
That is the problem in a nutshell. People bypass all the commercials with all the above methods. Commercials are what pay for the shows, and if the ratings aren't very good then the show cannot continue.

post #334 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
That is the problem in a nutshell. People bypass all the commercials with all the above methods. Commercials are what pay for the shows, and if the ratings aren't very good then the show cannot continue.
The fact that people skip commericals seems unrelated to the fact that selling commerical time during the broadcast is what keeps the TV industry alive.

The entire situation is becoming pathetic - both the sellers and the buyers of airtime know that the number of people who see the ads is dropping every year. IMHO, they are bording on selling vapourware when they sell airtime on the basis of the number of viewers. And they are doing this over 1,000 channels now, not the 13 or 100 odd channels of just a few years ago.

The entire economic structure of the broadcast industry needs to be changed - they need different ways of generating revenue. Why the advertising industry has not woken up and realized they are being taken for a ride, and getting a very poor return for their $$$, is beyond me.
post #335 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy27 View Post
Imo the brodcasters ask us to bypass the commercials. They often put it so loud in comparaison to the program watched that I need to pick the remote to turn it down... They were driving me insane with that loud noise :-) So, picking up the remote twice to adjust the volume is about the same effort as pushing pause, get a coffee, start again and bypass all commercials. They got me so mad so many times with the noise that I barely watch any commercial anymore.
post #336 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 09:49 AM

post #337 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-09-02, 10:35 AM

I am absolutely hoping that that comes to pass! The events of the last few episodes were so intruiging, and especially so the last few minutes of the series finale. I would love to know what happens after that!

I recently purchased the BD of season one, and the early episodes have reminded me that John never wanted the role he was destined to have. It took him a while to grow into it, and he hasn't even fully done that. So if there's a direct-to-DVD (BD too?) continuation of the finale, it'll be interesting to see how (or if) he steps into a leadership role and to see what kind of resistance there will be to him.

At any rate, I will be stoked to see this, cos I think the creative team has given us a lot of fascinating material in this show. This show didn't derserve to be cancelled, and I'm glad there's a possibility of it continuing in the form of direct-to-DVD films.

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #338 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-09-29, 10:53 PM

Check out the mobile billboard on the bottom

http://io9.com/5368511/producer-dont...nor-chronicles
post #339 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-10-01, 01:12 PM

They will probably wait awhile and see how the DVD sales do. If the numbers are high then maybe they might think it worth it.
post #340 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Remember what happened to Family Guy. The DVD sales were so successful that they brought the show back after it had been canceled twice. The second calcellation (after S3) lasted two years.

That said, Family Guy probably doesn't cost a lot to produce (or at least it didn't when it was brought back in 2005).
post #341 of 341 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 07:26 PM

Well with Halcyon bunkrupt and the Terminator franchise rights up for sale again soon who knows what gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in