Superchannel Programming Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 11:37 PM
Zoo

And some more updates (since no one else seems to be posting on this thread):

-I PVR'd The Asia Fantasia tour (25'th anniversary of Asia's debut album). I have this concert "protected" on my 9200 as I really enjoyed it and this one concert alone made Superchannel worth it for January! Yes, I was into Asia in the early to mid 1980s and followed Steve Howe over to GTR (although I stupidly missed GTR's concert when they came to Ottawa and they never put out another album after that so I really missed out!). I must say though that Steve Howe has really aged and looks pretty strange and all. If you check out pics of him from the late 1980s/early 1990s and then see him in high def it is pretty shocking. The PQ/AQ of the concert is amazing though and I will watch this many, many times and will hopefully see it on Blu-Ray one day.

-I still say they are showing the more "straight to DVD" stuff but my wife and I have watched a couple of the newer Stephen Seagal flicks that they have on and a Lauren Graham flick.

-I am still hopeful for some more "mainstream" content but the PQ/AQ on the HD channels have been excellent and I have been able to find some "hidden gems" to enjoy.

So, I am a little more positive and optimistic about the channel than I was. I hope that someone from Superchannel reads this and puts some more concerts on there in HD. Maybe some Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey etc for an old folgie like me (all of 37 years old).

I am still on the fence at $13/month; but if there was a concert or two every month plus some more recognizable movies I could rationalize the subscription. Things are looking better though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 01:18 PM

My wife and I just checked out the introductory package today. We recently signed up for the Digital One plus and are still finding our way with using the new remote and digital receiver. Underwhelmed does not describe this SuperChannel package adequately for us. $16/month for this? Not likely in this household. sailmaker
post #48 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Superchannel just signed a contract with FOX studios, so we should be getting some of their big movies soon (The Simpsons, Fanatastic Four, etc).

http://www.mediaincanada.com/article...erchannel.html

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X

post #49 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

post #50 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Sorry, forgot there was a thread on that. Anyway, hopefully some of those big movies will show up soon. Superchannel needs it desperately!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #51 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 02:11 PM
Zoo

That's good news about Fox. I do think however that Fox ne eds to be careful with their pricing. Again, for approx $19 I get 7 HD movies channels with the TMN package plus 2 HD channels. In addition I get 2 HD channels and WGN in HD and the 4 Superstations. So, 11 SD and 3 HD channels.

Contrast this to Superchannel with 3 SD channels and 2 HD channels and no bundled US stations. As it is right now I don't see this being worth more than $8 or so. With Fox on board and some more "mainstream" movies that are not on TMN $10-$12 might be worth it.
post #52 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Please this thread is about PROGRAMMING on Super Channel, NOT pricing. Please discuss programming only!

If you wish to discuss pricing, check out relevant Super Channel threads under specific BDU's offering it. ( I believe BEV, Rogers, Cogeco and Access are the ones currently offering all with different prices and channels)

post #53 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 02:58 PM
Zoo

Oops! Sorry Hugh, I have done that mistake several times on this thread.

As for programming:

-I like that they are putting on some concerts in HD. I PVR'd the Asia Fantasia concert and have re-watched it several times. I also PVR's Bon Jovi last night off the Superchannel HD channel (I will watch it later this week).

-Still too many "straight to DVD" movies that were straight to DVD for good reasons. Some more "mainstream" movies would be welcome.

-I would like to see them show more documentaries or Criterion like movies to diversify.

So, the concerts are great, some movies are good to great, just not enough good to great movies.

If Fox is indeed getting brought on board (content wise) then this is great news!
post #54 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-13, 03:59 PM
Veteran

I guess TMN and Movie Central have tied up all the big studios with contracts, so that leaves nothing but the direct to DVD stuff for SC (so far). However, as those contracts expire, SC has a shot at them.

-Mike

post #55 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 08:09 AM

I Have Noticed Alot Of Sony Picture Movies On Super Channel Have They Partnered With Super Channel?
post #56 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 08:25 PM

Red face Superchannel is underrated

I just got the superchannL package and already it is a breath of fresh air. Ive had TMN for awhile and its getting tiring with a lot of junk on it. I prefer superchannel and cant wait to get the ondemand part of our service which should be soon. They have two hd channels and 4 digital and different content than that of TMN. They will also be featuring showtime boxing soon as well. HBO ruined TMN service with all their crappy programming so I decided to change.
post #57 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 08:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
SuperChannel may seem like a breath of fresh air to you since their programming is different than TMN, however, you'll probably find that in a few months, having watched all the "new stuff", you may become just as disillusioned.

Be aware that SuperChannel just recently applied for court protection from bankruptcy.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=108347

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #58 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 09:26 PM

Thumbs down Superchannel needs to be given a chance

I know a about the bankruptcy etc ,but I have to admit that superchannel with the new boxing and content additions will probably be better than TMN . Hbo is not what its cracked up to be and it is playing a big part in their content which I dont like much of. Oz and Generation Kill were all on before and people must realize that they aren't what they used to be.Many of the series they are showing aren't very good either. They do have a few blockbusters occasionally but little to get excited about. I disagree with you writing off a movie service. If Superchannel doesn't succeed then TMN will get even worse .
post #59 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-07-03, 12:07 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm not writing off a movie service. I would prefer though to have one service that has access to all studios rather than have two services split certain exclusive rights.

I don't want to subscribe to two and I don't wish to be switching back and forth every few months. I disagree that TMN will get worse if SC fails - it could actually get better by picking up studio movies that were exclusive to SC.

I hear a lot of complaints about movies on TMN, MC and SC. Basically it's my belief that the studios are simply not producing as much quality product, or are running out of ideas and this has nothing to do with the movie services, but rather the lack of good original product.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #60 of 148 (permalink) Old 2009-07-05, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Regarding the HD versions of Superchannel and Movie Central, it's apparent that MC/HBO has had to pull up their socks in response to competition from Superchannel.

Movie Central and their defenders always made up excuses for the poor selection and scheduling of HD content, and once Superchannel showed up, it was revealed just how false these excuses were.

The HD films and features on Superchannel HD are as attractive as those on Movie Central - Fox studio releases for example. And Movie Central was forced away from their crazy practice of premiering hit shows at bizarre times, or showing a new release three times in a single day, then mothballing it, only to return and place it into massive re-run rotation months later after its appeal has faded.

The problem however is that now with two services competing for content, there's a real split and consumers must pay for 2 services in order to get what we really should be getting in one premium subscription. To watch Dark Knight and Choke this month, is it really fair to charge almost $40?

My fear is that if Superchannel gets snuffed out, Movie Central/TMN will revert to their practice of severely watered down content and their many board posters will go back to the imaginary stories of how that's just the studios limiting HD content in Canada.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in