Superchannel Programming Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-11-28, 07:19 AM

Bigoranget
I really don't agree.The series alone puts this channel over the top.

Ringmaster
Part of the reason for the hate.Is the loyal meber for tmn/mc.They don't want any one to come that may be a threat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-11-29, 06:59 PM

Thumbs down Is quality a consideration?

The “superchannel” might have potentially won me over to a degree when they broadcast a HD version of the Ultimate Avengers 2 movie if they hadn’t royally botched the aspect ratio of the presentation. 4:3 content cut off at the top and bottom and stretched to 16:9. I PVRd the show TWICE hoping that maybe the first broadcast I caught was just an honest glitch that no one caught at the broadcast level and that would have garnered complaints. However after catching the 2nd broadcast and finding the same error, it appears quite obvious that whoever was responsible for quality control on that show either didn’t consider the HD broadcast of it or simply didn’t care. So far I am not finding these new channels so “super”.
post #33 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-01, 12:30 PM
Zoo

Ringmaster
Part of the reason for the hate.Is the loyal meber for tmn/mc.They don't want any one to come that may be a threat.

I'm not a fan boy of any channel. I am all about the content. So far I am underwhelmed about Superchannel to say the least. I have it for almost another 2 months at my introductory pricing. So far there is little on there that appeals to my my wife and my tastes.

I have the TMN package, some themes, and the HD pack. I snagged Superchannel with the hope that there would be some good movies on there in HD. There have been some; but most of these movies seem to be the straight to DVD variety. MOre Bollywood would be great as my wife and I like foreign films. Too many of these are poor, low budget productions. I would love to see some neat indie films ala The OH In Ohio etc.

If they had more older stuff ala MPIX to mix in there that would make me happy as well.

The jury is still out on this one for me as I have about 6-7 more weeks at the intorductory pricing. With what I am getting so far I would not keep it at $13/month; even at the $8/month I am paying at the moment I am not all that thrilled.

Time will tell....

post #34 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-15, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Give them a chance...

A few points regarding the programming so far...

- Considering what they've been left with by TMN and MC, I'd say they're doing a damn good job. Sure, they don't have a tonne of "blockbuster" titles, but they've dug pretty deep to great, if not unfamiliar titles.
- Many of the UK and Aussie series are great, I'd highly recommend Peep Show, Skins, Outrageous Fortune.
- For those asking about the Bollywood titles, those are on Saturday nights (8pm?). Good from what I've seen so far.
- I heard through a contact that they've just locked up a contract with a MAJOR studio. Not sure which one, but if they manage to add some huge titles to what they've got already, I'm sold.
- Quality wise I'm super impressed. To be able to come out of the gate looking and sounding as good as they do (anyone remember months of sync issues on MCHD?) They've had the odd hiccup, but they're doing a bunch of things better than the competition already (HD promotions/5.1 audio on most all titles/they don't sit on a station logo for 45 minutes at a time)
- Pricing is unfortunate, as I think lots more people would give it a chance if it was priced more aggressively. But we can't blame Super Channel on that one, as the providers set the price.

All in all, I think given a bit of time, Super Channel will grow into being a heavyweight contender. I for one have been fed up enough with the competition to give them a serious chance.
post #35 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-16, 01:35 PM

Zoo
You are aware tmn is right to dvd as well.
post #36 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 02:31 AM

I am intrigued with SuperChannels. I am willing to sacrifice TMN but would like to ask a few qts:

1. I know Rogers is currently not carrying any HD but how does the 4 SuperChannels picture quality compare to say any of the non HD TMN channels ?

2. I would imagine Rogers will be adding HD, 5.1 Audio and On Demand in the not too distant future. Correct or incorrect ? If correct, any chance the price will be higher than $15.99cdn ?

Thanks
post #37 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 10:50 AM
Zoo

Some updates from me...

-I am a fan of zombie/undead movies so I PVR'd The Plague and The Mad in HD and watched them over the weekend. Fun movies and the PQ was excellent.

-The PQ on both the SD and HD channels is very good on my ExpressVu set-up. BEV seems to be sparing Superchannel the CompressVu treatment they have been giving other HD channels (watch some of the NFL ganes from yesterday and you will see what I mean). Superchannel in HD looks phenomenal!

-I am still seeing way to many "straight to video/DVD" stuff on this channel. So much of what is on tap is stuff I would have no idea about unless it was on there. There are some hidden gems to be sure, but so much of this is the stuff that had a limited or no big sceen run.

-I will check out the Saturday night schedule and give my PVR a good run and see what we think.

-I do hope that Superchannel can hook up with at least one studio. I would love to see more older movies on this channel ala MPIX. My wife and I have been enjoying watching many of the Elizabeth Taylor flicks that have been shown on MPIX. If only they had of shown Cleopatra in HD! Even in SD you can see just how epic this flick was. 2 stars is way to low for this movie. Rex Harrison and Richard Burton were awesome in this. Roddy McDowell had some amazing moments as well. Elizabeth Taylor was all over the map. There were moments were she was truly amazing like when she found out Mark Anthony was dead. Amazing acting at this point. At others she could be kind of wooden. Anyways what I am trying to say is that it would be nice to see little Superchannel "festivals" where they run a theme whether it is Jackie Stewart flicks, a Stanley Kubrick themed showing etc. I love this sort of thing.

-So, PQ wise they are off to a great start. Content wise they will suffer unless they can offer $8-$9 pricing. With more content that interests me I might stay on even at $13/month. The way I rationalize these sorts of things is that for $13/month I had better watch 4-5 good movies off of the channel that I would otherwise rent from my local video store. TMN meets this criteria and then some (I also get the major channels with it so it is kind of an unfair comparison). Here's hoping for some more classics. I do like that I am watching some smaller budget "indies" that I might otherwise overlook.

So, the jury is still out for me. Things seem to be looking a bit better though.
post #38 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 11:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The PQ on both the SD and HD channels is very good on my ExpressVu set-up. BEV seems to be sparing Superchannel the CompressVu treatment they have been giving other HD channels (watch some of the NFL ganes from yesterday and you will see what I mean). Superchannel in HD looks phenomenal!
You might be surprised to learn they're not. Both SCHD1 and SCHD2 are on transponders shared with two other HD channels. It just goes to show the source material is what really makes the difference.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #39 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 12:01 PM

Zoo
For me tmn has been a let down for the past few months.If you want the odd new movie it may be ok.But for me sc channel beat them hands down with series.
post #40 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 04:03 PM
Zoo

You might be surprised to learn they're not. Both SCHD1 and SCHD2 are on transponders shared with two other HD channels. It just goes to show the source material is what really makes the difference.

-Mike

I do find this surprising! Pretty impressive PQ especially considering that the bandwidth would be challened if it shares a transponder with two other channels. MPEG4 should help with this as 10 GB/S can look really good with an advanced codec.

I am still hopefull for some more "mainstream" newer and older flicks on Superchannel. The competition should push TMN to keep up the content and if Superchannel gets more content I like that gives me 4 full time movie channels in HD (TMN, MPIX HD + the 2 Superchannel HD)

Maybe I will sample some of the series you guys are raving about. With Dexter winding down now for Season 2 and nothing for Medium forever and Saving Grace being on hiatus I have room for a series or two in my viewing schedule.

What's up with newer stuff like Rocky Balboa and Saw III? Both were on there and both disappeared so quickly never to return. I had a chance to watch Saw III (not too bad); but I had to delete Rocky Balboa from the PVR as I ran out of room. Man I wish I could add an additional Terabyte to my 9200 PVR. 25 hours of HD runs out really quickly with a game on there and a few HD movies. I typically have about 30 older movies in SD on there at a time as well.

Please enable to USB on the 9200 for an external HD BEV or give us a better option than the 9242. With HD content a new receiver should have a Terabyte minimum with the ability to add an external HD. 25 hours on the 9200 does not cut it and the slightly larger HD in the new receiver is not much better either.
post #41 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 04:06 PM
Zoo

Zoo
For me tmn has been a let down for the past few months.If you want the odd new movie it may be ok.But for me sc channel beat them hands down with series.

I will say that Dexter has been a joy to watch in HD on TMN. My wife and I watched Black Snake Moan in HD off the PVR last night. Lots of other stuff we have enjoyed lately including many Bonds in HD as well as the Elizabeth Taylor movies in SD. If only they had of put Cleopatra on in HD.. Yeah, I guess it has been a bit light lately with new stuff on TMN but a whack of great classics from the 30s, 40s, 50s etc that I have been enjoying from MPIX.
post #42 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 04:44 PM

JUst keep in mind whil you look north american stuff.There is alot of people that injoy series from the uk etc.Thats wehre sc has tmn beat.
post #43 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-17, 04:52 PM
Zoo

I guess I really need to give some of these series a try on Superchannel. It just seems that almost all of the movies on any given day are of the straight to DVD variety and some of them seem pretty bad. Then again I do like "B" movies and The Plague and The Bad were both pretty enjoyable. I will PVR some of the series stuff and see what the Mrs. and I think...
post #44 of 148 (permalink) Old 2007-12-31, 08:41 PM
Veteran

So I've noticed that with a couple of movies, Superchannel seems to be getting them within weeks of them going to video as opposed to MC which seems to get them months (sometimes 6+) afterwards. Case in point Hatchet and Shattered.

I agree, that they don't have the big studio block busters yet but with a little searching I've found many interesting movies worth watching/PVRing. "Death of a President", "US vs. John Lennon", "Open Water 2", and "Half Nelson" to name a few. (Not necessarily commenting on whether those examples are good or bad movies.)

I'm rooting for them and hope they start getting some big name studio releases and become a true competition to MC.
post #45 of 148 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 12:52 PM
Zoo

I just completed an on-line survey for Superchannel. Kudos to Superchannel for being so proactive and soliciting impressions of their service. It was a pretty good survey although there was no area for what to add or remove from the channel (suggestions).

My impressions thus far:

The Good:
-2 full time HD channels where the PQ is very good. I am not seeing the artifacts that affect other channels and especially sports. Either they are being spared the "CompressVu" treatment or the source they are sending is so great that even compression by Bell ExpressVu is not hurting it so bad. There is obviously some care with the signal they are sending.
-Some interesting series on there although I personally watch these sort of channels to snag movies and only watch some series on the premium channels (e.g. Dexter, Sopranos etc).

The No-So-Good:
-A limited selection of movies the "average" person would recognize. Most of the movies being shown are of the "straight to DVD" variety with little or no big screen showing. Sure there are some hidden gems in here; but many of these were straight to DVD for a reason.
-The movies that would be recognized by the "mainstream" get a very limited showing and then disappear. Saw III and Rocky Balboa were there on the HD channels and then disappeared.

The Bad:
-$13 per month is going to be a hard sell with the current programming. For $20 the competition offers 7 SD movies channels plus the super stations versus 3 SD movie channels from Superchannel. .Superchannel offers 2 full time HD movie channels while TMN gives you 2 full time HD channels plus you also get WGN in HD so that I can watch the Cubs in HD. At $8 I am considering keeping Superchannel. At $13 it just isn't giving me enough to justify itself.
-If Superchannel could hook up with Turner Classic Movies or another premium channel and bundle itself with these (plus have HD offerings as well) then it would be a serious competitor to TMN. TNM has more channels, superstations, and more mainstream content for $7 more. I see Superstation as complimentary to my TMN subscription. There is no way I would drop TMN and go Superchannel only.

In closing I think Superchannel either has to get their pricing closer to a theme pack ($8-$9 is fair) or either get more mainstream movies or partner up with some premium channels like TMN has done. At $13/month I just don't see the value right now despite the quality of the PQ. They have the technical stuff right; now they need more content. If they can snag a studio and augment the stuff they have now I would probably stick around as I am a sucker for movies and HD content.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in