Superchannel Programming Discussion - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 11:26 AM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
I have no issue with the site also using firefox. Getting back to Super Channel, this channel has gone downhill significantly over the past 6+ months. I use to be a big fan of the channel and recommended it to everyone also in the past but I cannot recommend it anymore. They have turned into a mpix style channel(a lot of older movies), they won't or can't purchase anymore blockbuster or semi blockbuster films. They use to have the odd blockbuster from a couple of studios they had contracts with but that has ceased. They no longer have any contract with 20th Century Fox. There hasn't been a fox movie on either premium service now for over 6 months but I received an email from TMN(Astral) a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they will be signing an exclusive with 20th Century Fox once they negotiate a deal which is good news because Super Channel cannot afford to purchase big movies anymore. Instead they purchase mostly foreign series and a lot of there movie library now is older movies with a few DTV movies and a whole lot of foreign movies. There movie library if you look at it has shrunk significantly from the middle of last year when they decided to stop purchasing big movies from studios they once had. It's fine if you like alternative programming but this is suppose to be a premium movie channel and as a premium movie channel I expect at least a few blockbuster movies every now and then but they have 0 now. i still subscribe to it because of the boxing but other than that I haven't watched that channel in months and that is a shame because it was a really good channel.

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-04-23, 03:37 AM

I subscribe to Super Channel because of the series, not the movies. I find it to be great value. I only subscribe to HBO/MC in the fall when Dexter is on and usually they have enough recycled content on that I can catch up on some of the other HBO series that I've missed throughout the year at that time.

Super Channel lost something like $60 million last year, so I can see why they aren't able to afford the big budget films.
post #138 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 10:47 AM

So, I fresh re-installed WinXP (I had other unrelated problems, hardware) with SP2 without installing anti-virus software and went to SuperChannel's website, Schedule section. Drop-down menu to sometime in May, and I'm stuck at today...

Guess the page is not WinXP compatible.

post #139 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 12:12 PM

I'm using Chrome on WinXP SP3 with no problem.
post #140 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-04-26, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Guess the page is not WinXP compatible.
It works fine with XP Professional 2002 SP3 and Firefox 3.6.3.
post #141 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-03, 07:25 PM

Thumbs up Returned to Super Channel

I felt for the money I was paying for TMN/HBO/MPIX their service was more glitz than substance. A lot of shows I have already viewed on Rogers Ondemand or saw in the theatre. On the other hand with Super Channel there is a lot of content I haven't seen before and I find it easier to use and view. The series on SC are much better than HBO as well and I especially like Southland & Justified.
post #142 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 11:45 PM

I wonder if an alarm goes off in nfldanchor's home any time there is a thread that discusses Superchannel..
post #143 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 11:52 PM
Veteran

or positive comments regarding TMN/HBO/MPIX and their shows
post #144 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 10:53 PM

I'm sorry but HBO is not dominating TMN's programming. That is completely untrue and also Astral has 2 separate channels dedicated to HBO content and 4 other channels dedicated to movies and shows from showtime etc... so your statement is totally false.

post #145 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-08, 09:09 PM

A few here have both services, if you bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen that so it's not just TMN viewers that are posting it's guys that have both. I have both and TMN is by far better if not just for the huge movie selection it has compared to Super Channel. These services are suppose to be "premium" movie services but because Super Channel doesn't have much of a budget they cannot purchase and big movies or apply for exclusive deals with the big Hollywood studios. SC does have some fairly good shows and has strikeforce and the super six boxing but other than that it doesn't have much to compete with the Astral channels , just look at eaches subscriptions, TMN has way more subscribers than SC , all of the major Hollywood studios other than 20th century fox but I believe TMN will have an eclusive deal with fox in the fall which will give them pretty well all the big studios and all the big blockbusters. This alone makes TMNs programming far superior to SC and remember I'm not biased as I have both services
post #146 of 148 (permalink) Old 2010-07-27, 07:51 PM

Red face TMN has better movies

Guys after careful consideration I have to admit that TMN has a far greater movie selection. I certainly enjoyed Justified and Southland on Superchannel but that doesn't justify my subscription to them. Therefore, I was convinced to return to TMN and may even learn to enjoy a few HBO series and give them a chance to grow on me.
post #147 of 148 (permalink) Old 2011-07-20, 11:36 PM

so did they end up getting a new contract with Fox ?
post #148 of 148 (permalink) Old 2011-07-23, 12:21 AM

I dont think they got a contract but they have been showing Fox movies though since late last year although they have past on a few of the bigger Fox movies like Avatar, Ice Age3, Night at the Museum 2 to name a few but they have shown pretty well the rest of 20th Century Fox's Movie Library from here on then.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in