Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Big Brother Season 8 official thread

23K views 298 replies 34 participants last post by  mrhooie 
#1 ·
Well, Season 8 of Big Brother began last night on CBS.

More info: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother8/

The twist to start off this season is that 3 of the 14 house guests have previous relationships with someone in the house. Something else new this year is what they are calling "America's Player". This person's actions will be controlled by the wishes of America through voting on CBS's web site.

I'll admit that I've been a fan of the Big Brother franchise from the start. I'm a little skeptical about this season. It looks like they are trying to put together the "best looking group" possible. Not sure if this is Big Brother or "Real World".

Time will tell if they have an interesting dynamic that will keep viewers tuning in.

I'm liking the "Evil Dick" guy already. I think he'll make things interesting.

Cheers.

#144 ·
It may have been a little short sighted of Zach and Jen to go along with the plan to evict Dustin.

It leaves them as 2 outsiders. In the HOH the odds were better than average that Dick/Danielle/Eric would get HOH, opening Zach and Jen up for nomination themselves. I'm not even mentioning Amanda since she's a classic floater.

Had they punted Dick, it would have opened up other possibilities.

#145 ·
No doubt about it. I think it's CBS' way to have even more control on how it all plays out. Who knows if America is really voting that way. With Dick gone, it would have been a very very boring show. I don't know what happens in the Diary Room but the live updates seem to suggest that the "voice of the BB house" pushes them to make certain decisions and go certain directions etc...
Actually just today someone I know who buys the live feed was saying you can really tell that the Diary room is no longer about interviewing the houseguest and getting their confessions, it's also used by the show producers to pressure or otherwise influence the players about what they should do. She wasn't clear how it's done, whether the just outright give the houseguest secret information, or if they put up a fake front of asking a suggestive question. For example "Dick, what would you say if you heard Eric was working for the show doing things we told him to do?" Obviously he would put 1 & 1 together right? Especially if they aren't asking that question about the other houseguests.

I guess there's also a rule that the houseguest can't say anything about this backroom stuff and if they even so much as mention it, the Big Brother producers have threatened to put that person on the block. Not sure if they'd do it directly or just use their influence to make the other houseguests throw them under the bus. If anyone talks about this to each other in the house, there's a censor button that blanks the live feed out to an empty screen.

Apparently Dick found out in the diary room that Eric is working for the show producers. If that's true it's just another way they are completely manipulating the game.

Yeah I know this whole show is just exploitive garbage, but any sense of rules or fair play seem to have been dropped in the interest of creating certain outcomes.

#146 ·
They have a thing called a "penalty nomination" if you are caught breaking a rule. So, for example, people who are on slop that get caught sneaking real food will get put on the block automatically if they are caught. I'm not sure how it would actually work or who would go off - I don't think it has ever been needed so far. But yeah, the Diary Room now seems to be a pressure cooker for controlling the game.

#148 ·
Results from tonight's show:

Food competition: Slop Pong (Beer Pong with volleyballs)
- Red team won: Eric, ED, Zach, Jess
- Blue team lost: Jen, Jameka, Amber, Daniele
- Each team got the "feast" bucket so there will be a feast

Jen was on slop no matter what based on an earlier commitment and Daniele is HoH so no slop for her. Jameka is not a big fan of the slop.

Jen planted an interesting "Jessica" bomb on Daniele about how she's always managed to escape eviction. That Jen - she's good at dropping these bombs.

America has decided that Eric will target Amber for nomination. He likes it and goes to work right away. Most agree that Amber has been doing nothing and should go up.

Daniele nominated Amber and Jameka for eviction.

Amber is totally delusional and Jameka is relying on her faith. If everything is already decided as she seems to think - why play at all?

Jameka should be the real target. She's the bigger threat.

Next episode is Tuesday @ 9:00pm.

#152 ·
Makes you wonder how much influence CBS has over the show as it progresses. What would have happened if Eric had been booted in the first week? The "America's Player" twist would have come to an abrupt end. They would have lost their inside man. The more I read about all that type of stuff, the more disappointed I get.

There is no "reality". There is no spoon.

;)

#155 ·
Results from tonight:
- Eric gave his "woobie" to Jessica - completing his task
- Daniele wins the PoV
- Daniele uses the PoV to save Amber
- Daniele puts Jen on the block

Daniele and Amber won a trip outside of the house and will star on the "Power of 10" game show hosted by Drew Carey.

Looks like Jen may finally be on her way out. Amber sold her soul to Daniele in exchange for safety but really, what are the chances of Amber winning HoH? NONE. Bad deal IMO. She can't be relied on.

Should be interesting...

#156 ·
CBS LOVES TO HIDE EVERYTHING FROM US.
I watched the late feed last night and Jen had aparently Poured Bleach on Dicks cigarettes, and that counts as "destroying property" witch is not allowed. your allowed to Hide stuff, but not destory it. so Basically Jen Is/Will now get the penalty nomination for shure because not only did she destroy dicks property, she also was eating A bunch food to what my understanding was she wasnt suposed to be eating and she didnt care because shes going home regardless. Dick then blew smoke in her face and He was trying to burn jen with his cigarette. CBS then CUT the feed for about 2 minutes to a screen that says " BIG BROTHER LATE NITE..." and the picture was a live feed of the controll room. i suspect that they had security come in and tell them to knock it off or something. not one scene from last nite was on tonights show...
GOTTA LOVE THE NIGHT FEED!!!
Cant wait to see it again tonight :D

#159 ·
Or does he? Amber and Jameka will still be in the game after Thursday, so they still have an outside chance of making it to the final 2 like Amber dreamed.

I am disappointed in America. Why didn't they get Eric to give his "woobie" to Dick. It would have been hilarious!

#160 ·
There is a very very sling chance ameka and jameka will make it to the final 2.You have eric/daniel/dick/jessica that have there group and a very powerful group at that.Then you have zach and jen who are playing both sides.The you have the cry baby amber and jameka.If jen does get voted out this week is all but over.Jameka and amber really are not good players and are not real threat.The only dark horse is zach.

#161 ·
I suspect Amber is being strung along so that who ever ends up with her in the final two is the clear choice. If Amber ended up in the final two, it's certainly not by her doing and who ever she'd be up against would be a shoe-in to win, provided people vote based on strategy and not emotion.

#163 ·
She is one strange and messed up girl. All the crying and then the "I'll do anything, whatever you need, for safety." Much like an addict wanting to get their next hit.

#165 ·
Lots of fun tonight!

Jen was pretty ticked that she was nominated and took it really personally. In retaliation for this she decided to eat some food even though she was on slop. This resulted in her getting a Penalty Vote since she was already on the block. I guess she figured she was done and would have some fun. First time in BB history that someone has broken the food restriction.

Jen then took/vandalized Dick's cigarettes. In response, he took all her clothes hostage in the HoH. The two squabbled and when Dick blew smoke in her face she "lost it" and attacked Dick, "burning" herself on his cig. She was fine, it's only a cherry. C'mon... we've all had that happen at one point.

Jen was evicted by a vote of 6-0. On the way out, Eric laid a sweet comment on Jen. "As much as you are happy to be leaving, we are happier to see you go." or something to that effect. Jen replied "Perfect."

Jen is the first member of Jury. You know Eric does not have her vote.

Jessica is the new HoH.

The new alliance (Jessica, Eric, Zach, Dick and Daniele) is in control. Jameka and Amber are once again on the outside.

#168 ·
It's kind of too bad about Jameka not being able to compete and Amber being useless. If one of them were to win HOH or POV it would move up the timeline on the inevitable tragic comedy that is to come when that alliance has to focus their hate for Jen onto each other. Should be some good viewing when all that goes down. We may have to endure 2 weeks while they pick off the Jesus twins... or maybe something unexpected will happen and we'll be spared of that.

I admit to some glee over the bleaching of Dick's cigarettes. Danielle and the others will suffer some deserved effects from that too as Dick crosses over from abusive to flat out maniacal.

BB is so arbitrary. One could argue that Dick burning Jen should have earned him an instant eviction - contestants have been turfed for less in the past. Now that would have been a nice twist.

Jen would probably still have been voted out by the Dick & Danielle cultists, but it would have been sweet to see her outlast him.

#171 ·
Its funny that they say you cant destroy property, but encouraged Eric to put mustard on Jens property (I've destroyed a shirt or pair of pants with some mustard after a late night hot dog after leaving the bar)
Dick is a bit much with the cigarettes, and me being a non smoker, Im glad they are gone
I wonder how many he has left, and how bad he is going to get when his fix is all gone? Serves him right for smoking like a chimney, and blowing it in peoples faces
It is intersting TV, thats for sure
I was wondering to myself, when Amber starts praying for God to help her win HOH, or the Veto, what is God supposed to do, when he is got a full schedule, trying to make peace in the middle east, help the hungry in Africa
Can he be everywhere at once?
It does make me chuckle, the petty/strange things people pray for
Also I LOVE hearing when they thank God for helping them win some silly competition

#173 ·
Its funny that they say you cant destroy property, but encouraged Eric to put mustard on Jens property
I guess it's all relative. Mustard can be washed out of clothes but bleach can't be removed from cigarettes. I've seen rumours that Jen asked BB in the Diary Room if she could do that to Dick's cigarettes and got the "OK".

There's definately something going on in that Diary Room to change the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.