Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Big Brother Season 8 official thread

23K views 298 replies 34 participants last post by  mrhooie 
#1 ·
Well, Season 8 of Big Brother began last night on CBS.

More info: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother8/

The twist to start off this season is that 3 of the 14 house guests have previous relationships with someone in the house. Something else new this year is what they are calling "America's Player". This person's actions will be controlled by the wishes of America through voting on CBS's web site.

I'll admit that I've been a fan of the Big Brother franchise from the start. I'm a little skeptical about this season. It looks like they are trying to put together the "best looking group" possible. Not sure if this is Big Brother or "Real World".

Time will tell if they have an interesting dynamic that will keep viewers tuning in.

I'm liking the "Evil Dick" guy already. I think he'll make things interesting.

Cheers.

#30 ·
You know ... I find the show far less interesting without John Powell's blog. It's always been kind of a useless show, but Powell made it interesting. Not sure why Canoe isn't having him blog it this year ... it's too bad.

That said, the only interesting dynamic is Evil Dick trying to get a handle on his relationship with his daughter. If he goes ... I'll probably tune out.

#33 ·
John Powell's summaries are great. Thanks for the link. It's hard to keep up with all the details that are not covered by the show. We miss so much and who the hell has time to watch the live feeds, let alone read all the live feed updates. I see he's of the opinion that Jen's behaviour is all an act. He likens her to Will - what you see is what you get. I'm not sure I'd go that far just yet, but when she does have 1-on-1 conversations, she does tend to drop the dumb act.

Classic converstation between Joe and Jen:
Joe enters the HoH room to speak to Jen.
Joe: Do you have any idea who you are putting up?
Jen: Yes, I am putting you up.
Joe: What is the reason?
Jen: There is no reason. You are going up.
Heh heh. Too funny.

#35 ·
I was wondering what happened to the Canoe dude myself...

I think the show is getting very interestings now but since I'm not watching the after hours I have no idea what the "main" alliance dudes are up to - Mike has had next to no airtime and the insane clown smile guy is definitely up to something - he's pulling stoopid Jen's strings that is for sure...

I didn't like Joe at the start but he is growing on me - he calls everyone out everytime!

I don't want Dick to go either but whatchagonnado?

#36 ·
Results from tonight:

- Joe was evicted by a vote of 9-1
- Dick is the new HoH

Oh boy - this should be interesting. I predict Kail and Jen will be up for nominations.

We shall see...

#38 ·
I'm a Jen convert. Hated her T-shirts and the crying over her photos. But other than those 2 things she's probably the 2nd most normal person (after 'America's Ringer')

I like her effervescent attitude and the way she deflects vicious attacks from dbags like Evil Dick.

I especially like her refreshing candor and the fact she's not so overly tactical and manipulative as the other players.

Even if you're not into the barbie doll body type, you have to appreciate how well she wore the unitard and how creative she was with it.

#39 · (Edited)
There's also a conspiracy theory running around the 'net (and in the house) that the "tea cup" question was rigged to allow for two possible answers (count the opening or don't count the opening in the calculation) in order to let CBS control who became HoH at the very end.
Though the producers are highly manipulative, they aren't pulling tiny meaningless gimmick tricks like this.

If they ever did want to rig a season, they'd do it by planting a hand-picked contestant in a house flush with flakes and losers. Then they'll create a twist where they can pretty much control that player's every move. Dunno if and when that will happen though.

I wouldn't be surprised.
I would be... have you seen these live HOH competitions? They can barely pull them off without gaming the result. I don't think Julie Chen is well suited for such a trick either.

#40 ·
The fact that Jen nominated a father/daugther combination who haven't spoken in a few years is pretty heartless IMHO.
Heartless? Was it heartless to split up one pair last week and a different pair this week?

The houseguests may be vain but not stupid. They are wasting no time splitting up the pairs.

This is a contest, not a mediation. The tension between those two was probably awful and splitting them up probably benefits everyone including themselves.

Later in the game is fine but doesn't this woman have any compassion?
What is the specific point in the game when a contestant should switch from trying to be compassionate to actually playing the game?

#41 ·
I don't get the infatuation the guys have with Danielle. I've seen fatter people coming out of Auschwitz in 1945. Why would anybody want to wipe butter off her? You may get splinters.

Too bad...cause she is a pretty girl; but she's definately anorexic
This is a sore subject with me. She certainly does appear to have eating disorder.

And if you study that illness, you will see an overwhelming correlation of victims who have major relationship problems with one or both parents.

The show producers put an obvious eating disorder victim into a surprise forced confinement with her estranged parent.

This strikes me as a wreckless act that any reputable psychologist would counsel against.

Consider this:
* this illness is commonly refered to as 'E.D.'
* E.D. victims are often girls with abusive or overbearing fathers
* her father's nickname is 'E.D.'
* at the very least, Dick has got an abusive and overbearing personality

If you wrote a a show with this kind of plotline, it would be considered too far-fetched.

#43 ·
Consider this:
* this illness is commonly refered to as 'E.D.'
* E.D. victims are often girls with abusive or overbearing fathers
* her father's nickname is 'E.D.'
* at the very least, Dick has got an abusive and overbearing personality

If you wrote a a show with this kind of plotline, it would be considered too far-fetched.
E.D. is more commonly associated with another medical condition.

#42 ·
Results from tonight's show:

Kail's alliance seems to be all but dead after her three boys did not vote with her. ED seemed to indicate early that he was going to be targeting Kail, Zach and Mike. No one is on slop this week as the whole house competed for food. Amber's crying is starting to get RIDICULOUS. She cries at EVERYTHING. Sigh... a funny moment was when Eric and Jen wrestled and she kicked his ass. Damn she is competitive. Eric, America's Player, has been tasked with targeting Jen for nomination and will become a "Secret Vandal" later in the week based on who America votes to have targeted to have their stuff stolen.

ED and Nick had a sort of man-to-man conversation about "trust" and his daughter. I'm sure Nick felt like he was auditioning to get permission to date Daniele.

At the nomination ceremony, to no one's surprise, ED nominated Kail and Jen. Eric completes that task.

I think it will be interesting to see how Jen reacts to being on the block. When she was wrestling, her true competitive self came out. I think she'll be in the game after this.

Next show: Tuesday @ 9:00pm EST on CBS.

Cheers.

#47 ·
HA! On the first episode, she rattled off about 30 "things" that she did. That pretty much set the tone for what people thought of her from the start.

Strategy or stupidity... I still don't know.

Cheers.

#49 ·
Did you know that Nick's Dad thought he was gay until he turned 21?
Actually I was thinking that myself. Not to be stereotyping but he really reminds me of a couple guys I know that figured out their orientation a little later in life.

I was going to post that before, now I see the most recent episode *really* played up that angle. Nick was practically drooling over his top 5 guy list.

#50 ·
Is Jen a nanny or a stripper? Nice family friendly bikini last show
I think BB (like many of these shows) assigns a label to the contestants based on some role they want to assign that person. I'm willing to bet Jen has multiple jobs including wanna-be actress, but they wanted to label her as a nanny.

I also find more and more BB seems to recruit most of their people based on whoever hangs out at Mike Boogie's bar (hollywood hangout), then they slot in a couple other people that fit a category(old woman/old man/visibile minority)

It's like they do the casting the weekend before the show starts and make the least possible effort.

Realistically, 10 cast members should probably be labeled 'actor' but instead they take some day job that person has or had at one time and put them under that category.

#51 ·
HA! On the first episode, she rattled off about 30 "things" that she did. That pretty much set the tone for what people thought of her from the start.
Jen's getting victimized by a butchering in the edits. Follow *anyone* around and you could make a clip reel of them saying "i" and "me" a dozen times.

Not to say she's not vain and self centered, but if she's a 10 on that scale, most of the housemates are running about a 9.5 anyway.

And besides, Jen wears it without shame, which is awesome. She doesn't put on fake nonsense like so many others.

I loved the confessional where she was talking about not feeling sorry for Jameka or the people eating slop. Contrast against Dick's fake racial sensitivity (and Jameka's equally ridiculous indignation).

She was just so straightforward and honest:
"I don't know what it's like to be on slop so I can't feel bad"
"I'm not very good at that... feeling-bad thing."

And to the people criticizing her for not wanting Evil Dick perving on her... Puhlease... nobody would want that. At least she had the purity to say it.

#52 ·
Eric, America's Player, has been tasked with targeting Jen for nomination and will become a "Secret Vandal" later in the week based on who America votes to have targeted to have their stuff stolen.
This just proves how easily the masses can be led (or more accurate, MIS-led)

Jen is getting a brutal edit job. She could just as easily have been portrayed like Janelle, but without Janelle's mean streak.

Having the voters single Jen out for nomination and to be Eric's vandal victim just shows how easy it is to influence the masses to make her the enemy.

She's actually really upbeat and positive, strong enough not be drawn into bs with certain psycho's. Yeah crying about your picture is weird, but then again is there anyone here that hasn't seen a picture of themselves that made them say "geez I wish that could be retaken".

I hope Jen squeezes through. She's a sleeper and I hope she gets the chance to convert some viewers like she is converting people in the house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.