Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Lab with Leo Laporte (cancelled March 6th 2008)

18K views 92 replies 37 participants last post by  technut 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Lab with Leo Laporte starts taping in Vancouver today. 15 shows are being taped from now till Friday and you can catch a shot of the studio webcam at labwithleo.com during taping. The first show will air on G4 TechTV on April 22/07 as a replacement to Call For Help which concluded in January.

Admin Note:

See post #29 for cancellation news

#58 ·
From the website:

THANKS for all the fish!

Thu, 02/07/2008 - 12:55 — Ryan

Hi all,

As the producers of The Lab with Leo Laporte, we are blogging to let you know that, effective now, production has ceased on the show.

However, all the episodes that have been produced thus far will air on G4TechTV Canada. Episodes up to, and including, number 180 will air as scheduled, air dates for episodes 181 to 195 will be confirmed shortly.

We, along with the whole Greedy Productions team, would like to thank you for your involvement with the show over the past year. We all recognize that we could not have produced 195 hours of live-to-tape TV without your help. You helped make the Lab with Leo a show of which we can all be proud!

Again, we thank you for being such good friends of the show, and I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
The Lab Team

#60 ·
I doubt very much that we'll see Amber go back to Rogers. She left Rogers to go to CITY and then left CITY to go independent. She's too much a free-spirit to be tied down to a daily show like that. Andy Walker and Sean Carruthers are probably better suited to hosting a live call-in show thanks to their experiences on Call for Help, the Lab and their own LabRats podcast.

#62 ·
I used to watch CFHelp most of the time, depending on the content.
I was a caller on episode 325 (re password security)
I sent a question for the fun of it, did the call about a month later, then was aired about 6 weeks after that. So someone with a real problem I think would have resolved it a lot sooner. So it was more of a info, help show in a way.
I enjoyed the show, it felt more geeky I guess,
when Amber left, I was depressed (LOL)
I watched Lab a couple of times, I agree with a previous post, some of them were as personal as a plank of wood.
The only other show I watch on G4 is Attack of the show. (which I like)
and it is at least a live (same day show and very current on whats new)
Leo was a great host, but the Lab didnt really capture me as much as Call f H.

#63 ·
Honestly we need a sort of cut down Canadian AOTS. I meen I love watching attack of the show because they have the feed which is tech news, and they have gadget pron, which reviews produts, they have attack this which is interesting they have also blog watch etc. It's actually a very technology/entertainment show....

#64 ·
I agree Nico, we need a Canadian version of AOTS or even a Canadian version of G4TechTV.

They cancelled Call for Help and Lab With Leo on G4, and in Toronto they cancelled Amber's show on CityTV. Where are we supposed to get our tech news from ? That Dotto guy?

A Canadian tech channel would be great with game reviews, new gadgets, car tech, from a Canadian perspective.

#66 ·
If you miss a live Leo show you could always listen to his The Tech Guy weekend show. It's syndicated in the US by Premiere Radio Networks (biggest syndicator in the country), and certain affiliates block their online streams from foreigners, so it's tough to get to a live feed unless you live close enough to the border to pick up one of his affiliates. You can podcast the show on Twit.tv along with his other shows, but other than that you can hear it by digging up one of his affiliates with an unblocked stream, or becoming one of those evil grey market XM Satellite Radio subscribers, since they play it on America's Talk on XM 158. Somehow people are hearing it though, because Leo has gotten calls on that show from continents like Europe and Asia and Australia.

#67 ·
Well, I listen to a lot of the stuff from TWiT.TV and John C and on and on...

Anyways, Leo has just let the cat out of the bag in one of the last TWIT podcasts. He is going to start doing a LIVE Skype show out of his office in San Fran. It will be interesting to see if this will work well, because if it does, this could be a VERY interesting option for others like Amber, Andy, Shawn and others in Canada.

Also, for those that are not aware, there is a TON of video podcast content from all of our fav folks from the old TechTV days available through the "Online Services" section in SageTV. Some of it is even in HD. Some examples of what is up there:

• CrankyGeeks
  • Diggnation
  • GeekBrief

#69 ·
Pizza, almost all the gadgets they show on gadget pron, and gadget's they show on Cnet tv are available in Canada with a little looking, if you can't find them in store there is always a way to find them online... Really the only products we lack are iPhone and movie download services... that's it

#71 ·
most of the time it is. What car tech have you seen not available?

For the cell phone thing just give it a few months, the carriers auction is on its way, its probaly going to get cell company drooling for your attention and how else than to offer competitive rates and exclusive cell phones.

#75 ·
You can tell if the show was one of the last episodes (besides looking at the episode number) by looking to see if Kate Abraham is still on it. (British female call taker). Kate left the show to move to Toronto and they brought in some other babe to take the calls. She's cute but doesn't seem as into the tech stuff like Kate was.

You wonder if Kate knew the ship was sinking as Amber Mac's show was cancelled by City/Rogers earlier in the year and Leo was going to be next.

#76 ·
I wouldn't give Kate that much credit.

If you follow their personal blogs they indicate Kate was wanting to move back to Toronto for her own personal reasons, and her live-in BF Matt Harris (LwL producer) was also in favour of moving back to TO (to keep her happy, if nothing else).

It was only later that anyone found out the Aussie channel was no longer going to carry Lab with Leo, and that's what prompted Rogers to pull the plug after the first episodes with the new staff were already in the can.

FYI, Kate never had any interest in tech stuff. She said as much in the early episodes. It was only after she got her position on the show (as a result of her connection with Matt) that she started to take an interest, and even then it was pretty much limited to the social networking aspect.

#80 ·
This channel is flying fast downhill. The only shows that get new episodes are Attack of the show and X-play everything else is repeats. :( they need to either sell off the channel to someone who wants it or they need to pull there act together because im sure they are loosing subscrbers by the thousands right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.