'24' - Season 6 - Official Thread - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 08:16 PM

hmmm... no sub on SD FOX2 Detroit in ottawa. I'm too lazy to go downstairs and check HD because my projector isn't mounted yet and my 50' component cable hasn't arrived from monoprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 08:17 PM

Ahh i just noticed its because global is showing Football still.

OTA People are really going to be peeved this evening. I hope they show it in its entirety after the game.
post #18 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 08:31 PM

Looks like GlobalHD's broadcasting it in 4:3 (at least on Rogers). Thank god the football game went past 8pm EST or else it'd be simsubbed.

post #19 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 08:31 PM
JCL

Global got "caught" in the late-running football game. When it came on at around 8:22 pm, it was unable to simsub "24" in HD. It is running SD now. I've been watching WUTV Buffalo in HD since 8:00.

Put it another way, the only way Global could be simsubbing at 16:9 would be a football game finishing on time. Then it's a matter of putting it's lousy logo on top of Fox's.
post #20 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 09:13 PM

Seems like global is unable to broadcast their own HD, that or fox wont give them HD tapes. Either way they are morons.

Last edited by Juggie; 2007-01-14 at 09:24 PM.
post #21 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 09:33 PM
JCL

Weren't they doing it before? I've been catching up on five seasons of "24" on DVD's until now. This is the first time I'm watching it live.

How did they simsub stuff like "House" until now? I know "House" is HD on Global.
post #22 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 09:35 PM

They are only able to sub by taking a live feed from someone else, putting their logo on top of the fox logo and re-broadcasting it. We've never seen them have anything in HD when it gets delayed for some reason, eg football today, or when they had 24 @ 10 last year instead of 9 because of the apprentice @ 9, it was never in HD either.

They are incompetent basically.
post #23 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 09:58 PM

Well that was fantastic, and i've heard tomorow is 100x better.
post #24 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 10:14 PM

I'm wondering if Global has to kick back some money to their advertisers not having the simsub. I'm sure these spots were sold as national coverage. Most fans of the show would have tuned in to Fox after seeing Global was still showing football. Their viewer count would be way down from normal for this show.

Perhaps Global should rethink showing American football to Canadians. They can't win. They piss off football fans with their inferior pq and audio with their simsub of the game, and then they lose the simsub with 24.

Like Juggie said they are morons.
post #25 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 10:31 PM

Uh oh. Will I be FORCED to watch 24 on GlobalHD?

Hey all,

We watched the first 2 hours of 24 this evening.

Initially we were going to watch it on GlobalHD but the football game they picked up from CBS ran long so we wound up watching it on FOX.

It was sweet. Love 24 in HD but that's NOT why I'm posting.

After we finished the 2nd hour on FOXHD I flipped back to GlobalHD and 24 was broadcast in 4:3!!!! And it looked....SD!

Soooo. If we watch hours 3 & 4 Monday night what are the odds that the Global(not)HD simulcast will be FORCED on us?

FOXHD had it in glorious 16:9 and full HD.

GlobalHD did not.

Can I contact anyone at BEV to see? If they do the old bait and switch I'll be seriously angry and my in-laws (who come to watch on our HDTV) and my wife will be more than a little annoyed.

Thanks for listening.

sincerely,

MT
post #26 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

It is my sincere hope that this thread will eventually get around to plot discussion and the like, and not continue to degenerate into a (yet another) whining spot for all things HD-related.

I didn't put "HD" in the thread title for just that reason.
post #27 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-14, 11:20 PM

"KUMAR" plays a pretty good bad guy. And palmers sister is brenda from 227! And the bad good guy is from Kingdom of Heaven (isn't he)

Pretty good episode. That neighbour desereved to die. And why does Chloe look like she's taking a crap all the time. And what happened to Audry?
post #28 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 12:40 AM

Global *SHOULD* be in HD monday (though with possible broken 5.1 audio, ie center channel leaking into the left & right). They may or may not simsub over FOXHD, i do not believe to my recollection that it happened last year. FOX Seattle HD however should remain untouched for those in the east who have HD timeshifting, so if your going to PVR, record the second broadcast.
post #29 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 12:54 AM

Well worth the wait!!! "Kumar" was great. Chloe is in usual brillance love the ex husband, what a riot. Jack is Jack, just like murder and mayhem. A typical canadian...... Maybe Jack can do somthing with the CRTC?

No simsub on BEV, FoxEHD, I hope for the same tommorow.
post #30 of 200 (permalink) Old 2007-01-15, 01:45 AM

Based on what I saw tonight, I think we're in for another 'non-stop, thrill-ride' season of 24, to quote the FOX promo guy. Can't wait for tomorrow night. I too watched an unmolested FOX (Rochester) feed and absolutely loved it--no missed promos, superimposed graphics and fussy viewer advisory warnings after every commercial break. It was perfect!

As for all the concerns about simsubbing, it's all academic after tomorrow night. I took a look at Global's schedule and it appears that with both Prison Break and Heroes set to return next Monday, we'll get a reprieve for 24. Like last year, Global is going to bump 24 to 10pm ET and simsub Heroes (last year it was The Apprentice) at 9 and (sigh) Prison Break at 8. I had a feeling that's what would happen and I thank my lucky stars that there are too many shows and not enough time slots.

So, we just have to get through tomorrow night (which WILL be simsubbed-bet on it) and then we'll be able to experience 24 the way it was meant to be seen and heard beginning Jan.22.

Sounds good to me.

btw-what's with the concern about Global's lost ad revenues because of the long-running NFL game? Unless you work for the network or an affected advertiser I have no idea why you would care. I was delighted when the game ran long. Too bad there aren't any games tomorrow afternoon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in