Official "Pacific" thread. Coming to HBO March 14th, 2010 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-21, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
I really enjoyed the first episode...much more than I thought I would as i went into it thinking that it was just another war story.

But with the heavy use of the surrounds it was truly intense.

And what I found really interesting was the fact that this was NOT about the German's or Viet Cong...it is about the Japanese and usually American war films barely touch on the war in the Pacific.
I can't agree with your last statement. If the Americans have covered any war in their movies more thoroughly than the Pacific side of the Second World War I've yet to see it. There are hundreds (thousands?) of films out there about fighting the Japanese, many of them made during the war which makes them highly patriotic and often more than slightly xenophobic. The Pacific war was primarily an American operation after all. The other allies were for the most part busy in Europe fighting the Germans.

Remember too the Americans entered the war after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Getting revenge on the Japanese was the main focus for most.

What may be fooling you (I don't know your age) is that since the late 60's Hollywood has turned their attention to Europe and for a mix of political and business reasons has downplayed the war in the Pacific. The Japanese after all are major business partners today. Showing them at their worst is not the best idea. I realize someone here might counter that Germany is also a major ally and friend. That's true but the difference is that it's possible to separate the German people from the Nazis. The movies can portray the Nazis as demons without any bad light falling on the German people themselves. The party line today is that it was the Nazi's who were abominable and don't blame the German people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 10:13 AM
Veteran

I'm not into The Pacific as much as I was with BoB. There hasn't been enough character development before the battle scenes. Even with the battles, more time is spent on the wild fire fights than the soldiers' roles and reaction. Am I enjoying it? For sure. Beautifully shot, great effects (that you don't notice - the way it should be done), and fantastic sound. I will hold final judgement until the end...
post #78 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I agree, which is why I thought boot camp would have helped developed the characters.

The only strange thing is: the first scene in the first episode was a nice church scene with "Lucky" and some chick he tried to hit on. I mean, this is shortly after Pearl Harbor and everything seemed fine in small town America.

They should have had a scene where each of the main 3 characters first heard about Pearl and how they first reacted to it.

post #79 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 11:03 AM
Veteran

I think that scene was important, because she's the one Leckie has been writing to. He said to her, "maybe I'll write you", even though it was apparent he didn't know her very well.

I agree that the character development hasn't been as strong in Pacific, compared to BoB. For me, BoB was an instant hit, even though I wasn't planning on watching it originally. The cast was mostly perfect for that series. So far, this series doesn't have a Winters or Nixon.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #80 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I don't have a problem with that scene by itself. It was the placement of it and the lack of anger back home. These characters are fighting to avenge Pearl Harbor but it was hardly mentioned. The homefront was too peaceful IMHO.

The book is actually more interesting since it talks about a naval aviator and a POW, two characters that don't make the mini-series.

I still like this series, even with its flaws.
post #81 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 11:26 AM

I think it's just paced differently. Certainly Leckie's character has some depth, same too of Morgan. I think with Eugene heading off to enlist, I hope there will be more of that.
post #82 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 05:14 PM

BoB was a spectacular series. While there is no doubt that they have put plenty of time and effort into this series after two episodes I still don't have a good feeling about The Pacific.
I'll give it a couple more episodes to develop their characters and storyline but so far I have to say it is just mediocre at best.
post #83 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 07:31 PM

Lindsay649 "So far it appears that the history revisionists and political correctness clowns have avoided the program which adds to its realisim. Worth watching."

I wonder if they are going to get protests from Japanese-Americans over the use of an abbreviated word for the Japanese often used during the war and is now considered an ethnic slur? Every time I heard the word, I felt a little uneasy. In the TV series "McHale's Navy", the producers got around this by calling the Japanese "Nips". I'm sure that would also be offensive to some folks especially people of Japanese descent.
post #84 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXAM View Post
Lindsay649 "So far it appears that the history revisionists and political correctness clowns have avoided the program which adds to its realisim. Worth watching."

I wonder if they are going to get protests from Japanese-Americans over the use of an abbreviated word for the Japanese often used during the war and is now considered an ethnic slur? Every time I heard the word, I felt a little uneasy. In the TV series "McHale's Navy", the producers got around this by calling the Japanese "Nips". I'm sure that would also be offensive to some folks especially people of Japanese descent.
I hope that protests don't happen over that word. I happen to be part Japanese but it doesn't bother me when used in a history programme. Like it or not that's the way people talked in Canada/United States during the war. It's not an authentic depiction of the time and of the hatred the populace felt towards the Japanese if you leave that word out. I don't get HBO so I was wondering if someone here could answer this question for me: Do the characters in the series smoke? I hope they do as without cigarette smoke wafting across the screen it wouldn't be an accurate picture of life in the 1940's either.
post #85 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Oh ya, Lucky Strikes.
post #86 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 09:31 PM

Yes, they puff their lungs out in the show. BTW I remember on the back of wartime magazines you would see the ad: "Lucky Strike Green Goes to War!" Apparently, they had to change the packaging from the familiar red and white to green and white because some chemical in the red dye was needed for the war effort.
post #87 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 11:00 PM
Veteran

Yep. From my perspective, they're keeping the series as real as possible.

I kinda liked the part where the Marines stole all that "luxury" gear from those lazy Army boys. Freakin' goldbricks!
post #88 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 02:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
I hope that protests don't happen over that word. I happen to be part Japanese but it doesn't bother me when used in a history programme. Like it or not that's the way people talked in Canada/United States during the war. It's not an authentic depiction of the time and of the hatred the populace felt towards the Japanese if you leave that word out. I don't get HBO so I was wondering if someone here could answer this question for me: Do the characters in the series smoke? I hope they do as without cigarette smoke wafting across the screen it wouldn't be an accurate picture of life in the 1940's either.
What is the word? I thought 'nips' was the ethnic slur?? Also why are you asking about the smoking, it was fairly evident from the first and second episodes that smoking is being depicted as rampant.
post #89 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 05:27 PM
Veteran

neild, I was asking about smoking because I have not seen the series as I don't subscribe to HBO. About a year ot two ago several anti-smoking groups tried to convince Hollywood that all smoking should be cut from films in the future as it was no longer acceptable behaviour. They were turned down but I wondered if maybe Hanks and his people might have bowed to the pressure. It's hard today not to be politically correct. That's why I asked.
post #90 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-24, 06:04 PM

"...Like it or not that's the way people talked in Canada/United States during the war..."

Not only "talked", but the J-word was quite commonly used in newspaper headlines at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in