Official "Pacific" thread. Coming to HBO March 14th, 2010 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

The entire episode 1 was posted on the HBO website, it has now been taken down. I guess it was posted in error.

I'm 20% done reading "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose(son of Stephen). The mini-series and book have very little overlap.

Episode overview is here:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific#/the-...des/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 10:24 PM

After watching the first episode, I have to say I am impressed. The story is moving along a lot quicker than the Band of Brothers first episodes. The character development is good, quite a few aquaintances made and lost already......its going to be a good series I think.

They have started it off with a bang.

I only hope that this pace keeps up for the series. I would hate it if it bogged down too much.
post #63 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Ya, with BOB you had the boot camp segment with the Friends actor (probably the only poorly casted character). I did expect a Parris Island boot camp segment for some character building. That didn't happen.

Based upon the episodes (posted a few posts above) and what I know about the 2 books, it's a lot of gruesome war segments.

If the series lives up to the books, be prepared to have your stomach turned, if you don't turn away from the tv. The Japanese were a fierce enemy.

post #64 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 09:25 AM

Done well but just another war story. The first episode was short considering the time used for the opening and closing credits. So far it appears that the history revisionists and political correctness clowns have avoided the program which adds to its realisim. Worth watching.
post #65 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 08:18 PM
Veteran

james, I know who you mean by the Friends actor (David Schwimmer) but frankly I thought he did a good job. I wonder if the fact you knew him from that other TV show influenced your views. At the time I saw him in BoB I had not seen even one episode of Friends as I hate TV comedies. (That would make an interesting topic for another discussion by the way). Overall I liked the first episode of BoB. It set up so much of the rest of the series. As for The Pacific I don't get HBO so I can't comment on it yet but I imagine that Hanks and company probably felt that a boot camp/getting ready to ship out type of episode would be too much of a repeat and decided to go right to the action.

This is not unlike how Hanks avoided repeating himself in the the Apollo 13 episode in his From The Earth to the Moon series by creating a story told from the reporter's point of view rather than the astronauts'. That novel approach gave me a respect for Tom Hanks that just continues to grow with each new project in which he gets involved. It sounds from what I've read that The Pacific is going to be another success. I look forward to it on Blu-Ray later this year or catching it on regular TV if it ever gets there. It's a natural for History Television but then so was the Adams series last year so who knows?
post #66 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 08:30 PM

I think it was really important not to do boot camp and weaving in the hometowns and leaving for war was well done.

I agree with reidw, if they had started off at basic training ... the series would be set up as a retelling of BoB set in a different locale. Instead, it's set up much differently and will tell its own story. Just speaks to how skilled Hanks and Spielberg are. They keep mining WWII territory with riveting and well-crafted filmmaking without becoming derivative or repetitive. SPR, BoB, and The Pacific. I am really looking forward to the rest of the series and the first episode did nothing but enhance my anticipation.
post #67 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 08:31 PM

I loved the short interviews before the start with a couple of the vets who are portrayed in this show. They were from The War by Ken Burns which is a must see (and also involved Tom Hanks). So far, The War is way way way better than The Pacific, but that is to be expected as hearing and seeing those actually involved is naturally more moving than a mere portrayal. It gave me shivers to see these two versions, especially of Sid and Eugene Sledge.
post #68 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

If you're in the US or have a US IP address, the first episode is available on HBO.COM

Don't see the same video on HBO Canada.

Episode 2 preview: http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific#/the-...KyMQIAb4YXOA==
post #69 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 10:16 AM
Veteran

I'm not watching any more previews at this stage. I want the action to be served cold. But I must admit that I didn't expect them to land on the beach and have absolutely nothing happen to them. I got all worked up for nothing!

There's no way I'm passing judgment on the entire series based on a single episode however. I'll wait until at least after the third part. By that time, I'll probably be ripping off the armrests from the couch from all the stress.
post #70 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron View Post
I must admit that I didn't expect them to land on the beach and have absolutely nothing happen to them.
Especially since they set it up exactly like the harrowing opening of Saving Private Ryan. I think they were having a bit of fun with us!
post #71 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 06:43 PM
Veteran

The quiet time didn't last long however. When they walked through the Japanese camp, I kept repeating to myself "don't touch anything!" My anxiety increased dramatically while they were walking through the jungle, and I kept hearing all those bloody birds calls! THEY WEREN'T BIRDS DAMMIT!!! And they knew that!

Once the bullets started flying, I was finally able to relax.
post #72 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 09:19 AM
Veteran

I really enjoyed the first episode...much more than I thought I would as i went into it thinking that it was just another war story.

But with the heavy use of the surrounds it was truly intense.

And what I found really interesting was the fact that this was NOT about the German's or Viet Cong...it is about the Japanese and usually American war films barely touch on the war in the Pacific.
post #73 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 07:58 AM

BOB and LT Sobel

When they interviewed the surviving men of Easy Co and asked what they thought of the casting almost to a man they felt that Schwimmer did a good job portraying the despised Lt Sobel. There was a pic of the real Sobel in Band of Brothers and there's a bit of resemblance between he and Schwimmer.
post #74 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Yes, he does look like Sobel. That being said, a geeky guy playing a bad ass wasn't convincing to me.
post #75 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 08:33 AM
Veteran

That's something I've always wondered about. Was Schwimmer just bad casting or was Sobel really the dimwit Schwimmer portrayed?

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in