Official "Pacific" thread. Coming to HBO March 14th, 2010 - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafs8907 View Post
The Making of the Pacific is on YouYube if anyone wants to watch it. I just finished watching it and it looks really well done. And thanks to james99 for recommeding "With the Old Breed". I'm almost done it and it's a must read for anyone interested in the Second World War.
Great book. I finished it a week or two ago. I'm almost done the second book. Old Breed is the 2nd half of the war while the other book is the first half of the war. I'm interested to see the screenplay of both books. Not sure how they will blend the two stories.

I'm surprised it's on youtube. I know HBO got rid of the trailers that came out a year or so ago, very quickly.

edit: Helmet for my Pillow is the other book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
I'm up to 10 recordings so far and i'm 0 for 10.

I'm heading out on holidays. Perhaps I'll catch it on HBO when I'm away.
I can confirm it has been broadcast at least once.... I skimmed through it about a week or two back. I didn't record or watch it since I figured it would be broadcast ad nauseum in the weeks leading up the premiere.... so far I was wrong in that assumption.
post #48 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

I thought I had recorded it a few times but it turned out to be a 2 minute trailer.

post #49 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-01, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I usually see the trailer in the 2-minute lead-in the PVR does... then it turns into Flight of the Conchords... grrrr!
post #50 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-03, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

For those who want a head start on this series and don't object to reading, The Pacific comes out in book form on Tuesday. I pre-ordered via my Kindle.

I'm now done both books. That being said, there is a third certain character who didn't write a book. Instead you can read Hero of the Pacific to learn more.

I was gonna buy that booked but decided on the screenplay instead.
post #51 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

Back from holiday and still this program is not airing according to the HBO Canada schedule.

On another note, HBO Canada has a large outdoor Billboard for The Pacific near my house.
post #52 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 10:56 PM

Haven't been able to catch the Making Of yet, either. I recorded it five times, and, like others in this thread, it ended up being different shows in the spot each time. Grr!

Really looking forward to this one though. Can't believe it's been 4+ years in the making.

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #53 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

FINALLY I watched the Making of last night on TMN HD.

I'll be interested to see how "Lucky" and "Sledgehammer" are portrayed in this series.
post #54 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

For those buying the Pacific book, keep in mind this is not the screenplay for the series but a companion piece for the series. One of the three central characters in the HBO series("lucky") was written out of the book and two others added.

Just started reading the Kindle version this AM.
post #55 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 01:54 PM

Finally....

got to see the making of a few days ago. Looks really great. Had read Leckie's book: A Helmet for my pillow years ago and picked it and With the Old Breed again at chapters last week. I'm still looking for a couple of books on John Basilone (read his wiki). The Paciifc was truly a different experience that the ETO.
post #56 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 01:26 PM
Veteran

Just watched all of the available segments on HBO's YouTube page. No complaints about the quality if you have the proper equipment and Internet connection.

The series itself looks incredible! HBO is one of the few entertainment companies out there that can throw a ton of money at a monumental project like this, and make it all work so beautifully, especially with Tom Hanks which, at the start of his career, you would have NEVER thought he'd be involved so passionately in productions of this magnitude, much less be dedicated in ensuring the stories are told as accurately as humanely possible.

Is HBO the only outlet left for accurate yet still dramatic storytelling?
post #57 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-10, 04:33 PM

BBC does a pretty good job. The costumes and sets alone are worth the watch.
post #59 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Digital Sage

One of several promotional posters.
post #60 of 176 (permalink) Old 2010-03-13, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Can't believe the date is finally here. Been waiting several years for this!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in