HDNET Programming Discussion for Canadian Viewers NO NHL discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 01:16 PM

I watched World Report last night, and it was quite good. Kind of a 60 minutes type thing in HD. The host of the show is terrible, he seems like a robot, but he isn't on screen for very long. I really enjoyed the segment about the Panama Canal actually. I have set a Pass to record this show.

Last edited by james99; 2006-11-10 at 01:18 PM. Reason: removed excessive quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 01:29 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
Based on what I've seen today, and based on what the IPG is showing for the next week, all I can is....I'M DISAPPOINTED. I mean it's nice to have another 24/7 HD channel, but the content isn't exactly making me want to stay home all day to watch the channel. I feel like saying "We waited this long for...this?"
The program "Deadline" that was on just now wasn't very funny. "Get Out!" is boring; watching people play paintball.
"Nothing But Trailers" looks good, however.
I wrote this on Tuesday, and here is an addendum to this post:

I take it back! After having HDNet for 4 days, I have to admit now that I like it very much. The programming is varied and interesting (well, except maybe for all those Country & Western concerts, but that's just because I'm not a fan) and well worth the price of its inclusion. Now I can't wait to see more of their original programming.

Will it be my first preference for HD programming? No. That still goes to the networks. But it is good to have this addition to the HD line-up.
post #78 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-11, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It IS a fine link, isn't it? Canadian HDNet 7-day advance schedule.
http://www.hd.net/naf_schedule_sevenday.html
The thing I like about their schedule is that they show which programs are premieres. Other stations with highly repetitive content, such as PBS and Discovery, have schedules that you have to weed through to figure out if you've seen the show or a particular episode before. Kudos to HDNet for this

post #79 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-11, 08:16 AM

I watched an eye for a eye yesterday great show.
post #80 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-11, 01:16 PM

So someone please explain this to me (soon to be BEV sub.).

1) We get our own unique Canadian version (please, NO!)
2) We get the American feed with over-ride on NHL (acceptable)
3) other..

thanks? and this does fit in this thread, as it regards programming.
post #81 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-11, 01:47 PM
Digital Sage

Westman, we get our own version because HDnet does not have the Canadian rights to certain shows. So, it's not by choice.
post #82 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 01:15 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Tuesday is "news" night starting at 8 ET with the premiere of Dan Rather Reports, followed by World Report (Palestinian Territories, The War at Sea, Election Recap) at 9 ET, Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone (Gilbert Arenas) at 10 ET, and the premiere of Higher Definition at 10:30 ET.

For those with an HD PVR, there is "Bikini Destinations" at 3 AM.
post #83 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclism View Post
I wrote this on Tuesday, and here is an addendum to this post:

I take it back! After having HDNet for 4 days, I have to admit now that I like it very much. The programming is varied and interesting (well, except maybe for all those Country & Western concerts, but that's just because I'm not a fan) and well worth the price of its inclusion. Now I can't wait to see more of their original programming.

Will it be my first preference for HD programming? No. That still goes to the networks. But it is good to have this addition to the HD line-up.
I picked up Hootie and the Blowfish the other night. Very good picture and sound! Not sure how much I will watch it, but I will be keeping an eye on it to see what is on.

Glenn

Last edited by FuzzyQball; 2006-11-14 at 02:09 PM.
post #84 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
Interesting... They brodcast in 1080i, but who knows what BEV does to it?

Glenn
post #85 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-14, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
The title of this announcement is wrong: BEV does HDNet in 720/60p as of now.
And the text underneath doesn't actually claim BEV doing 1080i:
"Bell ExpressVu has announced the addition of HDNet to its service,
a television network that broadcasts all of its programming in 1080i resolution..."
That is about HDNet, not BEV.

My guess is, the reporter tried to be evasive; the one who gave the title didn't have a clue.

Diogen.
post #86 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-15, 01:11 AM

Here is a screenshot from HDNet in its native resolution 1280x720, 8bit color, saved in bmp format to avoid jpg compression artifacts.
If you have a monitor capable of showing the full resolution, you can see deinterlacing artifacts on the edge between the white dust clouds and the sky: sign of a not very high quality deinterlacer.
But it will go unnoticed when watching the clip for the majority of people.

Diogen.

(Sorry for rapidshare).
post #87 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-15, 03:47 AM

Coming December 7th on HDNet ... LIVE NIGHT TIME launch of the space shuttle Discovery! Should be spectacular. They showed some daytime launches this evening on World Report ... they looked great!

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
post #88 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-15, 05:38 PM

Sheryl Crowe looking and sounding great on HDNet! Sharp images, clean surround sound. Beautiful rich colors!

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik
post #89 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-16, 04:20 PM

Agree with both HiDefBob's last and Cyclism's first post - this is a great looking network, but the content leaves something to be desired. Most of it seems to be fluff. Does anyone remember Toronto 1? It was a network featuring shows about a lot of cool hipsters (or people who thought they were cool hipsters) doing, er, not much. Kind of reminds me of what I've seen so far on HDNet.

However, Cyclism has proved that redemption is possible, so I will keep watching.

Rogers; SA8300; Hitachi 55HDX99; Marantz SR8500 & DV7600; Quad 22L; Energy S10.2 Sub
post #90 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-16, 04:35 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moematthews View Post
However, Cyclism has proved that redemption is possible
That or maybe I just can't make up my mind.

In the past week and a half I have watched/recorded an average of about 30 to 60 minutes of HDNet per day. The Tuesday night all news line-up was good, but after that and Nothing But Trailers, the content leaves a little to be desired.

This doesn't change the fact that I still appreciate having this channel in the HD line-up. I just wish the content was more "must see TV" and not just for the picture quality.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2006-11-16 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in