HDNET Programming Discussion for Canadian Viewers NO NHL discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenqui View Post
...Hopefully they've changed back to 1080i now that they've made it official with a press release.
They haven't.

Diogen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 11:47 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Recorded Smart Travels, Rudi Maxa today to compare with WNED. The DD5.1 sound had most of the narration coming from the left-rear speaker. Very disconcerting and somewhat strange from a channel with this much experience.

Steeves and Rudi PQ was much better than WNED, however, on Steeves I noticed the slightest bit of picture smearing on panning. I wish I never learned to look for and recognize all this stuff:

- compression artifacts
- macroblocking
- mosquito noise
- moiré
- smearing
- ghosting
- Jello Head
- Etc.

For those people who don't see it, count yourselves lucky.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #48 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digihd View Post
Hadskilla
First this is the best hd channel we have right now so give it a rest.Second it will be part part of the hd pack.With that said i am very happy with the channel and would have no probleams paying up words of $8.00 alone for it.

Stckydragon
We will be getting some series plus boxing and ncaa football.
$8 dollars for this?? Are you out of your mind the HD pack alone costs nearly that. I guess everyone has rights to different opinions but even if you like the programming it's repeated so often because they don't have the "real" programming it loses value. People have a right to be angry a lot of people were excited about this channel and let down when none of the content they were expecting was there.

post #49 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 06:50 AM

Alot of people may be up set but alot are aslo very happy with the channel.The boxing alone is worth $8.
post #50 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 07:49 AM
Veteran

Anyone noticed there are no commercials.....is this just a startup thing????
post #51 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:16 AM

I watched Nothing but Trailers and CEDIA last night, and a little bit of Deadline! and I have to say I was pretty impressed. They were actually pretty damn good, so if the rest of their content is comparable then I'll take back what I said about the channel being a waste of bandwidth.
post #52 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 09:10 AM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47 View Post
Anyone noticed there are no commercials.....is this just a startup thing????
HDnet started out years ago with no commericals. A few were added (HD of course) for sponsored events like the music shows (they have very extended Budweiser commericals). 90% of the commercials were for HDnet itself.

Lack of commericals are the norm. I don't have the Canadian version yet, so let's hope it's the same in this regards.

Katie Daryl is a cutie who hosts a few music shows. Check her out.
post #53 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 09:17 AM

I see nobody has mentioned Bikini Destinations yet.

OK, I'll admit it, I PVR'd an episode.

As travelogues go, it's definitely easy on the eyes. Emmy award winning programming it's not.
post #54 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 09:41 AM
Digital Sage

Bikini Destinations is also on Sun HD and HD DVD, if you care to own a copy.
post #55 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 09:45 AM
Veteran

If when defining how good an HD channel is you include the measure of "how much new original material there is", the HDNet will rank very highly. Other than the audio problems, I think HDNetCAN is a great addition to our ever expanding HD lineup.
post #56 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 09:50 AM

I watched HDNET for a bit last night....what a load of crap they air on that station.
post #57 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 10:36 AM
Q
Veteran

i have found nothing of interest yet either.

sure its pretty cool watching previews of movies coming out for a whole min. or so.

I will keep my eyes peeled for some more exciting stuff.
post #58 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 10:58 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
For people to say this channel has nothing of interest, or is "crap" is quite interesting. There are hundreds of channels on the dial and lots of people are not interested in many of those either.

For example, I have no interest in Leafs TV, or NFL, but I don't say they're crap. They just appeal to a different audience. Lot's of people don't watch PBS or Discovery either and I'd suspect that those people will not find much of interest on HDNet.

There is certainly a lot of stuff I'm not interested in on HDNet either, but having viewed the IPG for the next week, I've set several recordings and already watched a couple of programmes that were of some interest.

Will this be my "main station" No, but I don't have a "main station". I record and watch programmes of interest from the 400 channels that I currently receive and don't denigrate a channel that doesn't air what I want.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #59 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
Bikini Destinations is also on Sun HD and HD DVD, if you care to own a copy.
Didn't know it was on SunTV. There's so little actual HD on there I never bother to check it.

No HD-DVD here yet either. Still holding strong to my no HD-DVD / BluRay until 2007 embargo!
post #60 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 11:53 AM

Last evening I caught the night time launch in California of the Stereo Satellite on HDNet ... it looked great.

I have enjoyed a few HDNet World Reports. I am hoping that we get Dan Rather (starting Nov 14)!

WOW TV is here! NTSC RIP!
Shaw Direct/Bell TV/Telus Optik

Last edited by HiDefBob; 2006-11-09 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in