HDNET Programming Discussion for Canadian Viewers NO NHL discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Clint Black concert today

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 08:48 AM
Veteran

Yes, that will be the time to try out the audio. The PQ is great. Right now there's a show on about an american with a gun.
post #18 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 12:28 PM

Does anyone know if we will get dead like me and the other shows.

post #19 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 07:00 PM

It looks as though Dead Like Me and the other shows, like Smallville and anything else that used to air on a network, will not be showing on HDNet in Canada as of yet. The channel seems pointless to me until we get the full schedule.
post #20 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 07:35 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Based on what I've seen today, and based on what the IPG is showing for the next week, all I can is....I'M DISAPPOINTED. I mean it's nice to have another 24/7 HD channel, but the content isn't exactly making me want to stay home all day to watch the channel. I feel like saying "We waited this long for...this?"
The program "Deadline" that was on just now wasn't very funny. "Get Out!" is boring; watching people play paintball.
"Nothing But Trailers" looks good, however.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2006-11-07 at 07:40 PM.
post #21 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 07:59 PM

I'm very much looking forward to the CEDIA 2006 report tomorrow

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 7:00 PM ET

What's Kewl at CEDIA 2006
A look at the "kewlest" products at this years CEDIA Expo - Custom Electronics Design and Installation Association. Sony, Sharp, DLP, JVC, Runco, Dolby, Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, HAI, HP and many others.

US shedule for this week:

http://www.hd.net/schedulepdfs/2006-...2006-11-12.pdf

It seems like Canada will be getting most if not all of HDNET'S ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING

But will be deprived of:

HDNET SERIES:
http://www.hd.net/series.html

HDNET CLASSIC SERIES:
http://www.hd.net/series_classics.html

And some, possibly most of HDNET SPORTS:
http://www.hd.net/op_sports.html

Since BEV only gives out a 44hour guide, I guess we will have to wait a full week to see...
post #22 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 08:44 PM
Digital Sage

The CEDIA coverage is usually pretty good.
post #23 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 10:14 PM
Veteran

Let me understand this correctly...

we have the classics removed...

we have the series removed...

and last...but certainly not least...

we have most...if not all...the sports removed...

jeez I can hardly wait to watch Smart Travels...

give me strength...how long did we wait for this...
post #24 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 10:19 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up

Heck, "Nothing But Trailers" and "Higher Definition" already make this channel worth having. The PQ on those movie trailers/clips is glorious.

Although we won't get HD Net hockey, I sure hope we will get some of the lesser sports they broadcast, like Friday Night Boxing, some lower-level US college sports, and the Little 500 bike race.
post #25 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Let me understand this correctly...

we have the classics removed...

we have the series removed...

and last...but certainly not least...

we have most...if not all...the sports removed...

jeez I can hardly wait to watch Smart Travels...

give me strength...how long did we wait for this...
The CRTC is an entity that has long outlived its usefulness (not that it was ever useful except to curb the liberties of Canadians). It should completely disappear as it has become obsolete since the mid 90's:

People always had ways of obtaining US programming (besides close proximity to the US border Over the Air signals of course):

-In the 80's, you could get a 6 foot dish

-Then in the mid 90's it became much easier and much less expensive with 18 inch dishes

-From 2001+ anyone with half a brain can now easily download anything he wants on the internet with the invention of the BitTorrent which, unlike newsgroups and warez, is simple and convenient enough for the "casual" user to use and not shy away from.

-Soon you will have IPTV and the Internet will be used to watch and pay for TV/HDTV legitimately... The internet knows no bounds and the CRTC's reason for being died 15 years ago (apparently, they just don’t know it or are in denial). We are long overdue for this funeral. If Canadian entertainment wants to survive, then it should survive on it's own merits rather then being kept on an artificial respirator by the CRTC which FORCES Canadians to watch it rather then let them choose to watch it.
post #26 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:00 AM

The reason some HD Net programming is not available is related to licensing rights - other networks bought the right to show the programming in Canada. If the US version of HD Net was brought into Canada, HD Net would have to blackout the receivers used by the cable and satellite companies. And if it was legal for US satellite services to serve Canada, the satellite company would have to black out the programming on individual residential receivers that HDNet or any other US network has not licensed to distribute in Canada .

If a US originated network does not have a license from the programming owner to distribute in Canada, it is nothing to do with the CRTC.
post #27 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMx View Post
The reason some HD Net programming is not available is related to licensing rights - other networks bought the right to show the programming in Canada. If the US version of HD Net was brought into Canada, HD Net would have to blackout the receivers used by the cable and satellite companies. And if it was legal for US satellite services to serve Canada, the satellite company would have to black out the programming on individual residential receivers that HDNet or any other US network has not licensed to distribute in Canada .

If a US originated network does not have a license from the programming owner to distribute in Canada, it is nothing to do with the CRTC.
HDNET is not like regular networks... it ONLY broadcasts in HDTV so please show me ANY of these shows (see list further bellow) that are being broadcasted in HD by a Canadian network ? THERE ARE NONE! Until there is, the CRTC and the Canadian networks should **** and allow the programs to air. End of story. And if the "rights" acquired by HDNET to air this programming only covered the USA, then BEV, ROGERS, STARCHOICE should have gotten together and foot the bill for the Canadian additional $$$ to make the rights cover all of North America... otherwize why even bother acquiring the channel lest of course ripoff Canadian viewers... I guess we should be getting used to it by now

Star Trek: Enterprise
Arrested Development
Dead Like Me
Joan of Arcadia
Smallville
Boomtown
The Agency
Odyssey 5
Philly
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Clubhouse
Hack
Greetings from Tucson
Blind Justice
Jake 2.0
Summerland
The Golden Hour
Robbery Homicide Division
Greg the Bunny
Life on a Stick
Second Time Around
A Minute with Stan Hooper
Queens Supreme
The Handler
In-Laws
Haunted
What About Joan
Square Pegs
Charlie's Angels
Wiseguy
Hogan's Heroes
post #28 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:44 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Star Trek Enterprise was shown in HD by City for the last few seasons.

Dead Like me was HD on TMN.

Smallville was shown on City

Joan of Arcadia was on one of the networks.

People, please stop complaining about the CRTC. There's a thread for that and this isn't it. The CRTC has nothing to do with programming rights, which is the issue here.

CRTC posts will be deleted.

The service providers also have nothing to do with broadcast rights, they are simply "conduits" for the broadcasters and programmes (in most instances)

PS. I also scanned through the next week and saw few programmes of interest to me, however, I did set the DVR for some. Since Discovery and PBS also only have 1-2 programmes per week of interest to me, then HDNet is a good addition.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #29 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 02:34 AM

Wow I've just lost complete interest in this channel, I was checking often to see if they were any updates for expressvu customers now I could care less with the reduced channel that is being offered. Too bad this could have helped people adopt HD being a 24/7 HD channel with a lot of series and sports.
post #30 of 276 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreal1080p View Post
if the "rights" acquired by HDNET to air this programming only covered the USA, then BEV, ROGERS, STARCHOICE should have gotten together and foot the bill for the Canadian additional $$$ to make the rights cover all of North America... otherwize why even bother acquiring the channel lest of course ripoff Canadian viewers... I guess we should be getting used to it by now

Star Trek: Enterprise
Arrested Development
Dead Like Me
Joan of Arcadia
Smallville
Boomtown
If they don't get the rights to some of the series and sports in Canada, HDNet is not very interesting. They've just been put on Canadian systems so maybe they will acquire Canadian rights for some of these.

Most of those series aren't on any Canadian channel so it shouldn't be too difficult. The money will come from what BEV, Rogers, etc. pay HDNet, but who do you think they'll pass those costs on to?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in