National Geographic HD and Showcase HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

National Geographic HD and Showcase HD

National Geographic Channel HD and Showcase HD will be available to the public on December 19, 2006, Alliance Atlantis announced today.

National Geographic Channel HD will launch featuring such viewer favourites as Seconds From Disaster, Megastructures, and Dog Whisperer, plus Mysteries of the Tornado and Hollywood Science.

Showcase Television's HD lineup will include CSI and CSI:Miami, along with Rescue Me, Weeds, The L-Word, Dead Like Me, plus a brand-new series, Rent-a-Goalie.

NO WORD on which providers will carry it but check out the HD programming threads in the respective providers forums please!

Last edited by hugh; 2006-10-11 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 09:33 AM
Digital Sage

Is NGC HD the same version that's in the US or a Canadian version?
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Canadian version.

According to a July ruling by the CRTC, the HD versions of National Geographic and Showcase must provide 95% of the video and audio components of the current digital or analog versions. The Commission also requires that all programming making up the 5% allowance be provided in HD.

Earlier thread discussing the CRTC discussion for background (please post in that thread regarding the ruling)

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 06:30 PM

Hugh I can confirm that Shaw customers will be able to get these new channels on release date:

Quote:
HD Plus gives you access to a wider range of High Definition programming. It includes Sportsnet, TSN, CTV, Discovery, and soon to be A&E in high definition. Stay tuned for more exciting HD news including the addition of National Geographic and Showcase.
Source: http://www.shaw.ca/email/BigPicture/2006-09.htm

This is all apart of Shaw's new HD Plus package at $9

HD Plus: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...rogramming.htm

In this pack with the addition of those channels at $9 you get:

A&E HD
Discovery HD
CTV HD
TSN HD
Sportsnet HD
National Geographic HD
Showcase HD

IMO its a good deal, BUT they are making you have the original cable tier or digital channel to get the HD versions which has alot of people upset, Shaw is in talks about getting rid of this rule.

The thing that bothers me, can they put a Canadian network HD in a HD Plus package. They have the HD basic free one with the US Nets and CBC, I can see this if the CTV HD is an HD timeshift and you get your local CTV HD in the basic.

Anyways.. confirmed at Shaw.
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 07:25 PM
Veteran

Sweet Sweet Sweet! Weeds in HD...FINALLY!!
Rent-a-Goalie is pretty funny.

Kinda sucks that the preview for Shaw will be all of 12 days...until Jan 1.
But it doesn't matter. It's 2 more Canadian HD channels. Here's hoping Kenny vs. Spenny and TPB will be HD.
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 07:41 PM

wow so for our shaw plus preview we will get about 2 weeks free of Showcase and National before I have to pay 9 dollars for them not much of a preview
Thought they were supposed to be released in November

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 07:47 PM

They are being released this November.. I assumer they'll be launched release date, when is the plus preview done? I am sure they would extend it for the November release HD networks
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
T when is the plus preview done? I am sure they would extend it for the November release HD networks
My letter said December 31 2006 After that it would be 9 dollars per month

I have a photographic memory, trouble is most times the lens cap is on.
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 08:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The thing that bothers me, can they put a Canadian network HD in a HD Plus package. They have the HD basic free one with the US Nets and CBC, I can see this if the CTV HD is an HD timeshift and you get your local CTV HD in the basic.
Your last sentence is key. CTVHD is an HD timeshift as it is the Toronto feed. Vancouver gets their local CTV HD feed on the HD Basic package. Markets outside of Vancouver currently do not have their own local HD feed and thus can only get the timeshifted one in the HD Plus package.
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 08:46 PM

I feel pretty good about National Geographic HD - it looks quality but after the A&E "HD" debacle, my confidence is definately wavering on Showcase HD.

Call me paranoid.

Every now 'n then you just gotta say "what the heck!"
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 08:49 PM

Whats really on A&E HD, besides CSI: Miami repeats.. I don't care for their originals. Wouldn't be a high priority HD channel for me, rather take the Score HD.
post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 11:05 PM

Wonder if Shaw will be the first to get HD Net. That would give them and SC the edge.

And with Shaw's movie channels.. TCM.. & AMC.. and free Encore Avenue.. and maybe FOX Movie Channel they will be the oldie movies dream provider.
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 03:16 PM

Anyone have news of Rogers or any other cable providers picking these channels up?
post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 04:56 PM

I can personally confirm that Shaw and Star Choice WILL be getting National Geographic HD (and Showcase HD). I can't confirm but I can guess that BEV will also get this HD channel to as they are the nations #1 HD programming provider, I don't think they want to lose that title.

As for Rogers, not sure.

You see Astral Media is launching this (TMN, family, Viewer's Choice, etc.) depends if Rogers has a good relationship with them I guess
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old 2006-12-13, 05:54 PM
Veteran

Just a bump in anticipation of the forthcoming Canadian HD offerings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in