Official A&E HD Programming and PQ Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-09, 12:41 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I also noticed the smaller bug tonight. I believe an episode of CSI was on tonight in HD as well. I noticed this while doing someone's TV setup, so I couldn't linger on the channel....

Later measured on my own TV. Was 10.5 x 3.75", now 8.25 x 3" & moved to the right.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-09, 07:05 PM

Question letter from administrator to A&E, well..

You guys forgot to ask them the most basic thing, to diffuse in HD.

You nitpick about some points but first why call yourself an HD channel if you don't have anything in HD ??

One of your guys apparently recorded CSI in HD, WOW, this show is already available on MANY other channels in HD since a long time.

This channel, so far, actually suck. You letter should be to BEV asking them to make a better use of the bandwith

Also I'm really surprise to see so many people here that cannot see the difference between HD and stretch SD

TV Sony XBR-55HX929, ILLICO X8, PS4 & WD TV LIVE
Onkyo TX-NR606 receiver and Monitor Audio speakers
post #78 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-10, 06:50 AM

I agree that the station so far is a waste of bandwidth. What I would like to know is how they can claim they will do 65% HD from the start and follow it up with about 1% HD instead.

Last edited by Danster; 2006-09-10 at 11:24 AM. Reason: No need to quote if you answer right away :)

post #79 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-11, 12:07 AM
BJC

Why aren't they showing Third Watch in HD?
I never had an HDTV when it was originally shown, but by the fact that it is widescreen and Rogers 501 shows an HD preview of it, I'd guess that that show was in HD (at least during the final season).
post #80 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-14, 07:47 PM
Veteran

Sound is off in Calgary/Shaw...wondering if it was still an issue on other providers.
post #81 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-14, 11:48 PM
BJC

If you mean out-of-sync, yes it is still, although it doesn't seem as far "out" as it was before. I'm on Rogers.
post #82 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-15, 12:27 PM

Saw some CSI last night and it was SD stretched, then after that was an SD letterboxed program that was stretched (instead of zoomed at least!) This morning the CSI looks to be an actual HD.
post #83 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-16, 01:29 PM

An Unwatchable Channel

Does anyone know why A&E HD has these problems? The picture freezes, sound is out of synch and I can't watch more than a minute or so of it. Is this a problem local to Van/N. Van or is it Shaw wide? What an awful way to introduce a new channel.
post #84 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-16, 02:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I also find it odd that each new channel seems to have the same teething pains. It's as though they didn't do any testing and as if they've never watched any HD or DD5.1 programmes on any other channel.

It would be like a new car manufacturer introducing a vehicle with only 3 wheels on a 4 wheeler, with an engine that stops working at 80 kph, with a steering wheel that falls off, etc. That's why you build prototypes. Sure, small things can go wrong, but not "everything".

Also, once someone tells you what's wrong with what you've built or done, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the changes so your customers will buy your product. If you don't, you'll be out of business.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #85 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 01:47 AM

I just noticed that Shaw has added AEHD here in edmonton sept16. Sadly thou.
Pretty disappointing.

Onkyo 787, Shaw 6412PIII, TV LG 60pk550, LG BD550C blu-ray, Monitor Audio spks
PC 2 60pk550 via component @ 1920x1080p,
post #86 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I also find it odd that each new channel seems to have the same teething pains. It's as though they didn't do any testing and as if they've never watched any HD or DD5.1 programmes on any other channel.

It would be like a new car manufacturer introducing a vehicle with only 3 wheels on a 4 wheeler, with an engine that stops working at 80 kph, with a steering wheel that falls off, etc. That's why you build prototypes. Sure, small things can go wrong, but not "everything".

Also, once someone tells you what's wrong with what you've built or done, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the changes so your customers will buy your product. If you don't, you'll be out of business.
They tested for months on C-Band which makes it even worse.
post #87 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 12:49 PM

The only way i can describe it is utter and total incompetence....pretty pathetic on all counts. Aspect ratio stretching, grossly out of synch audio, improper audio formatting......what exactly has been broadcast in true HD so far that isn't available on other channels? Don't get me started on the bug either.

The whole thing just strikes me as some sort of half-a**ed effort to jump on some perceived
'HD bandwagon' by AE........simply thinking 'well if we just upconvert cheap SD and stretch it......the average Joe will see his 16:9 filled up and won't notice much else'

Hopefully the Shaw pipeline has a few extra drops left to accomodate this dreck.

Integra Research RDC-7.1, Bryston 9B-SST, NHT vt2, vs2 & sw2, Sony 65XBR10w, Moto 6416iii, PS3-250, Sony BDP-s550
post #88 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 01:51 PM

Yeah, I was pretty excited about havin' this channel.

Now it's just a pain in the ass to have it in the way when I'm surfin'.

This is the worst "HD" channel ever.
post #89 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 04:46 PM

Location: Vancouver BC, ExpressVu, PVR 9200, Sony KDSR50XBR1, Zenith Silver Sensor
Angry MI-5 Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!

In the midst of all the reality junk and reruns of old shows, A&E finally have new episodes of a widescreen drama series worth watching and what do they do? They SCREW IT UP!

Sent the following note to A&E, proving it is possible to type while hissing through gritted teeth...

I'm thrilled to be receiving A&E HD via Bell ExpressVu in Canada, but so far have been horrified by technical issues. I wish to register the strongest disapproval of your policy of stretching standard definition programming to fill the wide screen. Most if not all HD TVs and set-top boxes have stretching capabilities built-in for those who wish to view a stretched image. Unfortunately, they do not have modes that will allow us to undo the damage. Please stop doing this. The ultimate insult was your HD presentation of the season premiere of MI-5 last night. Here is a show that was delivered to you in widescreen, if not high definition. Instead of up-scaling it to fill the wide screen properly, you treated it as all other SD programming, leaving your HD viewers with black bands above and below the image and the already-wide SD image stretched to fit the wide screen. PLEASE remedy this and display this program in its correct ratio. I checked the later showing on your standard definition channel and found my television had no problem upscaling it and displaying it correctly. Please consider that HD is still in its early days and most HD customers are entusiasts who have paid to view high-quality images in the correct ratio. Imagine the damage done if a potential HDTV customer saw your current distorted images and gained the impression that this is what HD looks like!

Oooooh, look! HDTV!
post #90 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-17, 05:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Please consider that HD is still in its early days and most HD customers are entusiasts who have paid to view high-quality images in the correct ratio. Imagine the damage done if a potential HDTV customer saw your current distorted images and gained the impression that this is what HD looks like!
HD is not in it's "early days." It's a decade old.
Quote:
On July 23, 1996, WRAL (CBS affiliate in Raleigh, North Carolina) was the first television station in the United States to broadcast a digital television signal. This HDTV broadcast of a major league baseball game was displayed using the only HDTV display set available at the time, a test monitor Panasonic 46" HDTV at a local Dallas Circuit City store. The test was set up and organized by the Panasonic TV Division and was the first official commercial broadcast of HDTV programming in the U.S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in