Official A&E HD Programming and PQ Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-02, 09:02 PM
Veteran

If you look through the many A&E HD threads you will find that it hasn't actually launched yet. HD programs begin on Monday September 4th with a CSI Miami marathon. It wont be HD 24/7, it will be a mix of HD and SD material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-02, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
If you look through the many A&E HD threads you will find that it hasn't actually launched yet. HD programs begin on Monday September 4th with a CSI Miami marathon. It wont be HD 24/7, it will be a mix of HD and SD material.
All I can say is that the A&E HD logo has to go... it's takes up half the screen and it's but ugly
post #33 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-02, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolterm View Post
Man that has to be the biggest logo I've ever seen. Even bigger that Discovery HD.
LOL...

Almost twice as big as DicoveryHD's logo and the aspect ratio seems to be off too

post #34 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
I for one am happy Bell is providing all the HD channels available, even if I don't watch them all. I like the choice.
I agree.
A&E HD was just launched. I'm sure it will get better. Just think of how Discovery HD started and where it is now.

BTV 5900, 6100, 9200, 6141 & 9242 | Xbox 360 & PS3 | Samsung Galaxy S II
post #35 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreal1080p View Post
All I can say is that the A&E HD logo has to go... it's takes up half the screen and it's but ugly
I agree...if anything stops me from watching that channel it will be the logo...I mean comeon, lets get realistic here.

I am happy to see the new HD channels, wonder however what the $$ are going to be and if that logo on A&E is not made smaller/gone I will not be buying it.

Alt
post #36 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Would like to comment, but here in Rogers land its just giving a blank grey signal, but it shows up in the IPG. <shrug>
Same here.
post #37 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 10:16 AM
Veteran

They had a movie labeled as HD last night and it wasn't.....
post #38 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 10:33 AM

No True HD Yet?

I watched the Firm with Tom Cruise and the serial murder film at 9pm on Saturday Both were up converts

CSI Miami will run 8pm every week night so perhaps that is when the true HD will start.
The Jill Hennesey series about the coroner is running 6 episodes to day Sunday so we will see if it is true HD?
It is certainly a station with many commercials and a huge logo.
post #39 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 11:17 AM

I've sent them an email explaining my dissatisfaction with the logo on this channel. I'd suggest everyone else who doesn't like it do the same. Maybe they will change it if they get enough complaints about it.
Here is the link to their site. http://www.aetv.com/

BTV 5900, 6100, 9200, 6141 & 9242 | Xbox 360 & PS3 | Samsung Galaxy S II
post #40 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 11:40 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
When I get the time, I will send them an e-mail about the channel's "shortcomings" I will advise them that I don't like:

- Stretching SD. If I want stretched images, I'll do them myself.

- Improperly encoded DD5.1 (sound out LF & RF only). Please provide DD5.1 signal only for DD5.1 programming. For DD2.0 programmes, please provide DD2.0 signal.

- HUGE logo. Please decrease the size, make it less opaque - people with HDTVs usually have large TVs and the logo should not be larger than your head.

- Currently there is a video/audio synch issue.

We had some luck with these issues with some HD channels.

- We got City to finally stop the improper DD5.1
- We got CBC to not try grey bars.
- We got CBC to stop their improper DD5.1 (near the start)
- We got City to stop the stretched SD when they first started broadcasting.
- Etc.

So, it can work - start the writing... We need to nip this in the bud.

Someone please provide an e-mail link, or a webpage for feedback, thanks.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #41 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Try http://www.aetv.com/, I already sent them a few words. There is also an A&E forum to make the comments public......
post #42 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 12:47 PM

57, I too will let them know but will congratulate them on the stretching-I loathe the bars. Would rather see all fat people than big black bars-but that's just me and by the sound of this board the minority.(my Sony TV can't stretch or alter hd channels)
Don't matter really cause by the time Shaw gets it in our area ther'll be a different technology anyway.
Good luck on your quest.
post #43 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 01:08 PM

Thumbs down A&E Stretched Picture

Both my HDTV and 9200 stretch and zoom the picture. Combined with A&E's stretching I can get to see a little, tiny bit of the original picture zoomed up real close. The thing I cannot do is shrink the picture to see the original OAR show. It's a good thing A&E now longer airs anything I like to watch.
post #44 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-03, 02:47 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sent them the following:

Quote:
Hello, I noticed that you have just launched your HD channel, which I receive on Rogers 533. I know it's not officially on air yet, but based on preliminary viewing, I have the following comments.

1. Your audio signal is DD5.1, however, many of your programmes are not (probably DD2.0). By sending an improperly encoded DD5.1 signal, the sound comes out only the LF & RF speaker. This is not correct.

2. You are currently stretching upconverted 4:3 programming. This is annoying to many people who prefer to see the signal unstretched. If I want to stretch, I'll watch the SD channel and stretch it myself.

3. The audio and video have been out of synch on a number of programmes. Please correct.

4. Your logo is huge (especially) on HDTVs which are typically large (40-70"). Please reduce its size, make it less opaque for burn in concerns, don't have it displayed all the time, etc.

Thank you for launching your HD channel and thank you for listening.

57, Toronto
Also sent the following a little while later.

Quote:
1. I recorded the movie you aired recently "The Riverman". This movie had black bars above and below the image on my HDTV, however, I believe this programme was shot in Widescreen (1.78 or 1.85:1 aspect) and therefore should have filled my 16:9 screen.

You have been stretching all the programmes I've seen, but it's inappropriate to stretch widescreen or HD programming.

I know you're just starting, so I hope you appreciate the feedback that will allow you to provide programming in the correct aspect ratio, without distortion.

I'm a moderator on an HD forum and I've had my HDTV for 5 years, so I know a bit about HD.

2. Also, are you planning to add "HD" to your HD programmes in your TV schedule, or perhaps a separate HD Schedule?
Feel free to use this as a template if you like.

Sent to:

http://www.aetv.com/ (Contact Us). I got acknowledgements via e-mail, but no feedback yet.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #45 of 212 (permalink) Old 2006-09-04, 08:39 AM

JoeSoap, Besides the audio drop-out I am also experiencing the macro-blocking. Maybe its just here in Waterloo. Anyone having issues anywhere on channel 533?

Deltafin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in