Dexter - Spoiler discussions after each episode airs, beware. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-10, 01:05 PM

I'm digging this series !

Ya, the logic is "questionable" so I know where Hugh is coming from...but I'm enjoying the writing and the characters so far...

It's dark dark stuff..but thumbs up so far.

FortMacDude
FR : Hitachi 57F500, Pioneer VSX-1018AH, PS3, Bell 9200, Energy 5.1
LR: Samsung 40A530, Sony S550, Kenwood HTB 504, Xbox 360, Wii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 02:35 PM

I enjoyed the first two episodes , but I dont like the fact that they introduced the ''other '' serial killer as someone who is toying with Dexter so soon (doll head on his fridge door etc..)

that could have waited a few episodes dont you think ?

is the police captain Tootie from the facts of life ?
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch3 View Post
is the police captain Tootie from the facts of life ?
No..but i thought the same thing...had to look it up on IMDB. Also couldn't place Dexters sister...she's from the Exercism of Emily Rose.

post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-11, 04:06 PM

Through 2 shows there are some things I really enjoy about this series, but a few things that bother me.

What I like is the Dexter character as played by Hall - it is one of the few shows where I feel the inner monolgue really works. What bothers me is some of the supporting characters and/or themes. I find the one cop to be too overly agressive to the Dexter character - seems to much over the top. Also this characters relationship with the victim in episode 2 was a bit "hollywoodish". Like someone else who posted I also find that the serial killers involvement with Dexter came on too early - if Dexter is so good at what he does how does this guy know all about it??

I will be giving it a few more weeks - but hopefully this does not evolves into a predictable "friends" like series...
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-12, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
Through 2 shows there are some things I really enjoy about this series, but a few things that bother me.

What I like is the Dexter character as played by Hall - it is one of the few shows where I feel the inner monolgue really works. What bothers me is some of the supporting characters and/or themes. I find the one cop to be too overly agressive to the Dexter character - seems to much over the top. Also this characters relationship with the victim in episode 2 was a bit "hollywoodish". Like someone else who posted I also find that the serial killers involvement with Dexter came on too early - if Dexter is so good at what he does how does this guy know all about it??

I will be giving it a few more weeks - but hopefully this does not evolves into a predictable "friends" like series...
Couldn't agree with you more about the acting... the sister cop and the aggressive cop are definitely being overacted, at least compared to my reading of the books

As for the people commenting on the exposition and pace, remember this is a book brought to life in a mini-series, it's not a series that can change plot at any time.

Keep in mind this is a 10 part adaptation that's pretty faithful to the original book. It's not a 24 episode season that needs to be fluffed out to fill a season. Future series (or seasons) will come from the other Dexter books. If you've read the book(s) you know this isn't turning into Joey or Friends!
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 08:46 PM
Veteran

I watched the first episode during the free preview and loved it. I was totally impressed. I'm not sure if I'll order the TMN of just use torrent though.
Dexter thinks he has no emotions but really he does.
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-10-24, 06:50 PM
Veteran

All I can say about this series is: wow.

It's not perfect, but it's great TV. Makes you wonder why people waste time watching Big Brother and other reality TV, that's for sure.

It's becoming tougher and tougher to pick a favourite with so many great series out there. I have totally changed my mind about Movie Central showing these Showtime and HBO series. I used to be very critical of them (it was more tha lack of good movies that annoyed me).

There's an irresistable irony about this Dexter character. The plot line about his girlfriend and here kids and how nice he is to them accentuates that. As TJ77 said, he's the most "human" monster we've ever had on TV.
post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Things are getting complicated for Dexter!

I'm not sure how many people on this board wat this, but everyone I convinced to watch the first episode is now hooked!

This week in particular was fantastic. Great way to quench my "good TV thirst" until 24 returns!
post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 05:19 PM
Veteran

So who do you think is stalking him????
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 06:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
We find out on Monday... Want to hear some guesses?

His sister, or his father
(I have not read the books)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 06:54 PM

No way...

No way
it's her; too tiny, likes him too much. And isn't he dead? Nope, some other McGuffin.

... Mike

Last edited by 57; 2006-11-13 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags added.
post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 07:56 PM
Veteran

57, there was a slight suggestion in the last episode that it was your first suggestion. I don't know if its physically possible however she is in a great position to understand him the best. Why do you say we'll find out next Monday?
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:40 PM

If it's either of those guesses then I'm done with the series. It occured to me that the killer only knows Dexter from what he/she found in his apartment.

The show is my favorite series ever to date.

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 08:41 PM
Q
Veteran

IMO it is what 57 said in his 1st guess. Just the looks that were being given made it look that way.
post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 12:53 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown47 View Post
Why do you say we'll find out next Monday?
That's what it says in the Rogers IPG.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in